Sh@t house brakes

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 19:37
ThreadID: 33154 Views:1563 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have a 89 2.8d hilux d/cab sr5 I have just been having trouble with brakes. The pedal feels very dead and pulls to the left under heavy braking and I have no hope in hell of getting it to lock up no matter how hard I jump on the brake pedal low or higher speed, I did get some grease fling up from the knuckles (as in previous post) and ended up on the discs but put new pads in today used brake clean on the rotors and no difference if any thing worse because at least before it didnt pull to the left under braking like it does now.Does this sound like new calibor kits required and possible disc machining.Are they hard to kit out or best left for the professinals.I have checked the booster and plenty of vacume so that part of it ok. Hilux has done 280k now and never had the brakes done except pad replacments.Discs look ok no scoring or grooves etc Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:45

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:45
Steve, Check your front wheel bearings for loosness often cause of loss of pedal on dirt roads,also I might suggest that you have your calipers overhauled,if brake fliud has never been changed in this time could be contaminated and cause lazey action. Also suggest you have the job professionally attended to for your own safety and ours
.Another problem that has surfaced at times over the years is a fracture in one of the brake lines internal which causes a restriction to one wheel which in turn restricts fluid flow to that particular wheel,and lessens brake effect.This is also a possible reason for pull to one side as is faulty calipers or if you like sticky caliper.
Hope this gives you some insight.

Regards BILLS
AnswerID: 168502

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 21:24

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 21:24
Thanks Bill, had new wheel bearings put in when the hubs were done couple of months ago, checked by putting hand on top and one on bottom with wheel in the air and got no free play at all so thinking bearings are ok. Didnt know that these brake lines can leak internally are they like a hose inside another one or did I misread what you described.I should have also said that the fluid has been changed as per service book. Will get brakes done by professionals if need be as I havnt done before and as you said I value my life and other peoples. Thanks for the help with suss out the brake lines tomorrow. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 423849

Reply By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 22:01

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 22:01
HI Steve, On checking you have lifted your vehicle,did you alter the rear brake limiting rod to suit the lift//. This is quite often overlooked when these alterations are carried out,this does have a bearing on braking ability,as you load the vehicle it will introduce more braking to the rear brakes so it stands to reason that if you lift the vehicle so will braking to rear wheels be reduced accordingly,and as loaded more efficiency is appl;ied to rear brakes. This could also be where your problem lies just a thought.

Regards BILLS
AnswerID: 168510

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:54

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:54
No I cant say whether this was done or not as it was lifted prior to me buying it. It was done by arb but more than likely not touched.Ive only had the pulling problem since getting the knuckle grease on the disc rotor coming back from our break away but the brakes have always been pretty ordinary for a long time.Am going to try some emery cloth sand paper (hope spelt write) tomorrow on the disc rotor and see wether that makes a differance.Am also going to swap pads from one side to the other and see if there is any diff but I doubt it. Still to find out where the grease come from have cleaned it all down yesterday and will be watching it closely as too where it come from so I dont stuff another set of pads up. I put in Bendix 4wd pads the others were genuine toyota pads. Take Care Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 423970

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 16:55

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 16:55
Hi there Bill had all new wheel bearings and hubs completly done just prior to christmas double checked and there is no play, put in another set of brakes pads today and also used some emery cloth on the front discs and gave them a good sanding and adjusted back brake shoes which are paper thing so will be replacing them very soon !! Seems to be ok now no pulling under heavy braking and even got the front to lock up today, but my front shockies are r/s so will putting new ones in have ordered them just havnt had time to pick up. I would imagine this would make a good differance to braking as well as I will get less nose dive than I am currently under heavy braking, do you think this would make much or a difference??? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 424109

Reply By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:14

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:14
We had a 2" lift done and the wheel alignment became way out. Pulled to the left severely on braking.

If you're in Sydney, pro-axle at Narellan did an amazing job on our hilux (91 2.8D)

Quick question... Where did you fit the water tank? Were the diff breathers DIY?
AnswerID: 168547

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:45

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:45
Hi there Mike, I put the pic on my rig profile so you can have a look on there. I am in the process of having a new tank made up at the moment just changing it slightly and will not protrude over the wheel arches like it does now will be pretty much be rectangle shape and will go right to inside edges of wheel arches and changing the position of the the over flow valve from where it is (top left corner) to right at the back of the tank (on the side) on the passengers side and will have the little valve that I open and shut down near the rear bar from where I fill it from.Will also be not having the opening on the top like it has. Tank holds about 150/160L which lasts us a week for showers and refilling porta loo. It has a couple of pin drops of water that comes out of the seam on the side, I'm talking loosing 10mls a day not even noticable can be fixed by wacking a small amount of silicon on the inside but making up a new one so not worrying about it.Has taken a fair battering as can be seen no dents just paint damage. Will be putting on ebay in a few weeks and all will be said about pin drop water leak.Take Care Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 423967

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:06

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:06
Sorry mike forgot to mention the diff breathers, yes put in myself, just got a kit from TJM $50.00 could have done it cheaper by buying the correct threaded connections and whacking on some fuel line and clamps or the sort but couldnt be bothered running around.The TJM kit has the connections that you screw in replacement of the original breathers and you just push the line into them (same as they use for air lockers) rear one I took out tail light on drivers side and put the end in there, the front comes around brake booster and faces downwards, all held in with cable ties which is all supplied in the kit. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 423972

Reply By: nickoff - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 13:24

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 13:24
Had a similar problem with my 2 x 4 Hilux years ago. Poor braking etc but pads and shoes fine.

Found out brake master cylinder was stuffed. $350.00 from Toyota to replace, plus labour. Got it resleeved with a stainless sleeve, and rebiult for $120.00.

Perfect......
AnswerID: 168584

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:08

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:08
Hi there Nick thanks for the reply, was there any evidence of stuffed master eg leaks, loss of fluid etc ?? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 423973

Sponsored Links