3 Way Finch Fridge

Submitted: Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 21:40
ThreadID: 3316 Views:3593 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've just bought a Primus Slimline fridge which looks just like the Chescold Finch, my question is does anyone make a stand or table to sit the fridge on so it can be leveled when running on gas.
I've noted the 12volts computor fan and fitted two one for 12volt in Car and a 2nd connected to a Solar Panel remote of course, has anyone else done this.
Finally on Sunday it was about 32 in Sydney and under cover on gas without fans sitting on a table the internal temp was 6 degrees and dropped to -4 by 7.30pm with a gentle breeze blowing, is this normal.
In direct sun, on gas it'll only cool to 17 degrees with ambient temp of 28 degrees is this normal.
Before anyone says I should have bought an Engel, It cost me $100 and we camp with No power so it's the best solution.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 22:47

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 22:47
Hi Jeff. I've got a Chescold 3 way fridge/freezer and think it's great - it's my second and the 1st one still goes. However they do have their limitations! I think the symptoms you're experiencing are pretty typical. Do a search on this forum using my name and Chescold (or similar) and you will find a list of do's and don'ts I posted to a lady last year - you may find them helpful. I made a frame out of 25x25x3 angle on which to sit the fridge. I then welded 1/2 " UNC nuts underneath each corner then welded corresponding 1/2" SET SCREWS (not bolts) into one end each of 4 pieces of gal' pipe. These are the legs and screw into the base of the frame and allow some adjustment for uneven ground. You are right - the only fridge for long stops are the 3 ways but they don't like travelling while vice versa is true for the Engels. Seems you can't have your cake and eat it too! I've just acquired 2 large solar panels and am considering a similar conversion as I use 2 modified 240 volt house fluros when I camp (they urinate over anything else on the market). Good luck and happy camping!
AnswerID: 12847

Follow Up By: Jeff F - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 15:21

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 15:21
Derek,
My mate is going to make the stand it'll take him 1/2 an hour and the solar fan cooled the fridge from 28 degress to 2 degrees in 1 1/2 hours working of and on due to overcast day.
Not bad I thought considering the panel only costs $69 from Jaycar Electronics any other ideas welcome.
Thanks for your reply
FollowupID: 7634

Follow Up By: Derek - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 22:19

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 22:19
Jeff. When your mate makes the base make sure he leaves as much of it open to the air as possible. Mine is basically a picture frame with a ply triangle in each corner (80x80x80). Make the legs long enough so as the fridge is at a comfortable height (but not that high that the set up is unstable). Keep it level, keep it in the shade and keep the back clean of dust. Happy camping!
FollowupID: 7691

Reply By: Nick G - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:21

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:21
jeff I have a chestcold Frige/freezer and I am very happy with it. When camping I make sure that I put it in the shade and I just use a small spirit level to level it. I just use whatever is at hand-rocks,sticks,dirt to level it-I carn't see the point of making a special base. Nick G
AnswerID: 12981

Follow Up By: Derek - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 22:08

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 22:08
Nick. The purpose of my stand is more than just for leveling. It brings the fridge up to waist height but more importantly, it allows air to circulate around all 6 sides and thereby making it that little bit easier for the unit to get cold.
FollowupID: 7689

Reply By: Ian - Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 21:43

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 21:43
Jeff, another idea is to drape a wet towel over the fridge (keep it clear of the grill). Helps heaps when weather is hot. Must have cold beer!
AnswerID: 14746

Sponsored Links