Wombieyan Caves Info

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:09
ThreadID: 33175 Views:2612 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Ok..have decided to introduce a few to camping for a taste of what they are missing out on. But I need your expert help please.

Its been at least 22 years since ive been to Wombeyan caves so im not even sure if you can still camp there near the bridge. (thats where we used to camp then) I recall having to go through a tunnel then travel along the edge of the mountain until you get down to the river.
I would like to know if its still free camping and is there anywhere down near the river that has toilets and possibly showers for the new commers..just to make it a bit more enjoyable for the women. Any info would be much apreciated.
Ange.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rooscoota - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:20

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:20
hey hey g'day

not sure if this helps but i do know of this turnout, relatively cheap, pet friendly and has some mod con's like dunny's and hot showers.

Bush Camping

regards

lifes a garden......... dig it

AnswerID: 168616

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:45

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:45
Rooscoota, Thats a cute dog, what breed is it? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 423966

Follow Up By: rooscoota - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:28

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:28
hey hey g'day

she's a kangawallabillibat........ a very rare breed indeed
cute li' bugger hey

lifes a garden....... dig it

FollowupID: 423981

Reply By: Boo - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:23

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 18:23
Hi Cokeaddict,

Give the following website a go, we have stayed here, not free but very cheap, has toilets and there are showers at the main office area but that is generally a fair distance, if you have a 12v shower then your set.

Have a look, good place when its not a holiday weekend!

www.wollondillyriverstation.com/index.html

Regards,

Kerrie.
AnswerID: 168617

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:25

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:25
Yep thru the tunnel sharp right bend then you are on the Killikrankie pass. the place at the bottom on the river is Goodmans Ford....There is a good camping area at Wombeyan itself which is reasonably priced.
This is a nice spot too, sensibly priced right on the river with all amenities...
" target="EOF" class="lbg">www.riverisland.com.au/
AnswerID: 168624

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:30

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:30
Try this link: www.riverisland.com.au
FollowupID: 423982

Follow Up By: rooscoota - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:42

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 19:42
hey hey g'day

fairdinkum, dont know how i missed that one Mr Fawlty....... looks like my kinda resort, thanks for that.......

FollowupID: 423986

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 21:21

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 21:21
Had a quick look at Riverisland a few years ago, definately a place for swingers, as like in dick swingers.

Ian
FollowupID: 424015

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:21

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:21
Don't be so prudish. It's a great place you don't have to strip if you don't want to. I met some very nice Brazillians there...
FollowupID: 424074

Follow Up By: rooscoota - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 13:30

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 13:30
hey hey g'day

i've found those that are so quick to react suffer from thier own personal insecurities, one can only assume that those that a have a problem with such a thing are the ones that are to embarrased or ashamed, probabably inadequate as well.... maybe not enough to swing....

i always thought 8" was normal
FollowupID: 424092

Reply By: macca172 - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 20:02

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 20:02
On another outdoor forum I frequent, discussion about a month ago said there was no water in the river? Any updates?

Macca
AnswerID: 168628

Follow Up By: Member - Steve T (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 20:56

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 20:56
We camped at Wollondilly River Station the weekend before Easter, there is certainly plenty of water in the river. It costs $8 per adult per night and $2 for kids over 5 yo per night. If you are taking a camper trailer or little kiddies, phone Brian to reserve a camp site that is suitable, he is restricting were you can camp, he will explain. There are portable toilets scattered around the station. Getting very cold at nights there, so take some firewood with you and have a great time.
Steve
FollowupID: 424007

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:18

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:18
Hi Coke

I would not take new campers to Wollondilly River Station as a first off experience. I have enjoyed going there twice and would go again but know what to expect. Its basic in the extreme but pretty just the same and can be cold was
-6 and didnt get to 6 until way past 10 so look for which side of the river the sun will hit first if you decide to go there. I had uploaded some photos to this site you will need to scroll down the albums to get to Wollondilly which was our first camp trip after many years.

Wollondilly

A better option for newies is Wombeyan Caves and you can camp there. They have a big shower and amenities block. A Camp Kitcheon and dinning room. If there are kids involved wallabies are around and kids love the caves, also lots of area for push bike riding. We one time stopped in the bunk rooms with a group of line dancers and turned the dinning room into a dance party with the fire roaring and had a great night.

You do need to take your own wood in though.

pricing

Have a good time.

Carolyn

AnswerID: 168678

Follow Up By: Tellem Bugrem - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:29

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:29
Hello Ange,

We were at Wombeyan Caves camp for 3 nights in March. Excellent camp. $8pp per night. Guided Caves tour $11, Self guided tour of Fig Tree Cave $7pp. Powered and unpowered sites, fireplaces, good showers, laundry, camp kitchen.
Road in from Mittagong is narrow (Sound horn on blind bends). The tunnel is 5m high, 5m wide and about 50 m long with a sharp bend at the western end. The road is wide eniouigh to pass on-coming traffic on straights, but not on bends. Killiecrankie Pass is the section between Wollondilly River and Wombeyan Caves and this is the narrowest and windiest section. Best to go through on a weekday, between 11am and 2pm to minimize conflict with on-coming traffic. Take your time and take it easy and yes, collect some firewood on your way in as the casuarina they supply is horrible stuff!! Take your Parka and beanie at this time of the year.

Cheers............Rob
FollowupID: 424056

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 18:24

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 18:24
Actually the Fig tree will cost you $7 for as many as you can cram into the turnstile, I think 6 is the record....
FollowupID: 424123

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:59

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:59
Hey Angelo.... we went through there a couple of years ago.... the camping at Wombeyan Caves looks good, we didn't camp that time but may do next time. Amentities looked clean and the place itself is very nice!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 168700

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 14:04

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 14:04
Thanks to everyone who replied......some good tips from most and i have taken notes. Might go down there tomorrow (ANZAC DAY) just to get out of the house.

Cant recall it ever being as cold as some stated though, maybe we were teenagers then and we didnt take any notice of the weather as much as we do now.

Although in all honesty, we used to spend the Queens Birthday Weekend there (June) and we always survived it ok. Lots of fire wood there then. USed to take the trail bikes too, had us a blast, doubt you can use them there now though. But....ill sus it out tomorrow and report back to my never before been camping friends to see if its still on or not.

Thanks again guys
Ange
AnswerID: 168711

Follow Up By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:02

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:02
One thing I forgot Ange,

On Killiecrankie Pass there are a lot of rock slides, and you'll probably be dodging rocks that have fallen on the road. So, don't stop to collect firewood in this area!! Especially if it's raining or windy. (A branch dropping off a tree can trigger a rock slide.

Oh, and the $7 is correct for Fig Tree Cave.

Cheers.........Rob
FollowupID: 424188

Reply By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:22

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:22
A bit of triva the tunnel is the shortest hand cut road tunnel in the world

the other replys have answered your question

we used to camp there in the 60s & 70s but to many poeple most week ends now

Limeburners flat is a bit further but normally the same as in the late 70s
AnswerID: 168852

Reply By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:04

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:04
Update on my original post.
Today I left home at 6am, headed down to Wollondilly River Station to see how different the place is. Well, what can i say.... last time there was 22 years ago, we could camp anywhere we wanted and ride trail bikes too, basically, we could do what we wanted without rules.
Unfortunately, its all changed now. I spoke to Brian and asked him some questions and although he seemed a nice man, I just felt there were too many rules. So I decided to take a drive through the camp sites to see what its like. Seemed to be too cramped between campers, and there were heaps there too, for my money they were too close together.

So i had time to play and i decided to head down to Womeyan Caves, Well...what can i say. It was fantastic. Truly increadably set up and organised. I liked it so much, I am heading back down next weekend to do some cave exploring.
I decided to head out heading towards Goulburn, Much nicer run that way but added a lot to my trip home. But now i know what to expect and I will be heading back in via Mittagong and back home the same way next time.

Thanks to all for your help, I enjoyed the drive today, was so peacefull alone..just me and Stevie Ray Vaughan CD.
Ange
AnswerID: 168958

Sponsored Links