Track Conditions at Mount Stirling

Submitted: Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 16:46
ThreadID: 33190 Views:2638 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Has anyone recently - last six or eight weeks - done any of the tracks in the Mount Stirling area (Victoria) who can tell me about the conditions.

In particular road out to Bindaree Falls, Monument Track, Corn Hill Track (and the Circuit Road)?

Kind rgds
Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hound - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 16:59

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 16:59
All those tracks are ok except Monument. Drove it last week and it is really starting to get cut up by people that can't drive. For some reason people think that to get up a hill they need to floor it, all this does is makes the wheels spin and chews the sh.t out of the tracks. Corn Hill has a few bad sections that would now be cut up after the long weekend and the rain.

You wouldn't want to drive up or down Monument unless you know what your doing!

All tracks are open but the circuit road has a section that is closed every day Monday to Friday for logging.
AnswerID: 168723

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 17:01

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 17:01
Andrew

I havn't been in that exact area this year yet but the rd to Bindaree and circuit rd are really 2wd tracks. Monument is usually ok. Was around Dargo at Easter and tracks were dry and good but then but had rain since. Expect you'll have no triuble.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 168724

Reply By: Jack2000 - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 17:26

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 17:26
Was up that way on April 8/9. Drove from Sheepyard Flat up to top of Mt Buller, down Corn Hill Track to Howqua Gap Track, up Howqua Gap Track to Mt Stirling and along Clear Hills Track to Craigs Hut, doubled back a bit to Monument Track, down Monument Track and back out the same way.

Corn Hill Track is no problem at all, very easy. Howqua Gap Track and Clear Hills were fine. Monument Track has a few rough sections, but with a bit of experience was no problem driving down. However, from the first response above it sounds like it has been cut up some more over the last couple of weeks, which isn't surprising given the long weekend and the rain. I'd still give it another go now though!

AnswerID: 168730

Reply By: RichieK - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:53

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:53
Is Monument track the one that runs from the main track between MtBuller and Circuit Road up to Mt stirling? Anyway, I did that one about two years ago and remember it being a good long steep but not-too-technical climb that only needed low-range slowly-does-it style of driving - shame if the cowboys have gone up it in the wet and been churning it up...
AnswerID: 168866

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:57

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:57
Did this track on Sunday just gone. We were told that the circuit road was closed from King Saddle to Craigs Hut (was not really closed we found out later!)so we went the alternate route ( Mt Buller- Mt Stirling) over Mount Stirling. Heaps of snow, made for some interesting climbs and slides! A few spots were very clayey and needed extra care. Mount Stirling looked magnificant covered in snow, it is a special place up amongst the snow gums and to have a fresh covering of snow was such a bonus. We took some friends who have a brand new disco for their initiation into 4wdriving and they were amazed at what their vehicle could do. Craig's Hut was a popular place for bikes, horses and 4wds on Sunday.
Didn't head to Bindaree Falls this time so not sure as to condition of that track. The circuit road was fine, but as said in previous reply closed due to logging on weekdays. Can't help with the other tracks, sorry. Have fun!

AnswerID: 168957

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:47

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:47
Hi guys,

Yes - they are logging near the turn off to Number 3 road but we were there late and early and the gates they have set up were open.

I think you could always go the long way around - i.e. go around the circuit anticlockwise.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 425762

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:05

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 20:05
Thanks everyone for your comments so far.

I'll be up there next Sunday or Monday.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 168959

Reply By: otroll - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:18

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:18
Was there before easter and all those tracks were in good condition
AnswerID: 169311

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 16:48

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 16:48
IMHO, dont stress about monument (you can go round if your not keen). At its worst, its driveable pretty easily using brains.

Circuit road is always easy

Bindree Falls is also not to hard usually at its worst..
AnswerID: 169337

Reply By: hound - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 13:31

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 13:31
Monument Track is getting very chewed up now, was there on the weekend and without suspension and mud tyres you will be hard pressed getting up it.
AnswerID: 170018

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 15:21

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 15:21
AWESOME! runnin a trip there next mth :D :D :D
FollowupID: 425393

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:45

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:45
Was there Monday and Tuesday.

Went from Dandongadale via Upper Roses River Road down to Cobblers - Cobblers Lake was looking great in the mist.

The lake was high-ish, and the creek exit from the lake was quite muddy but it looked like someone had dumped a load of sand there.

The Ulyses Club 4WD chapter had been there on the weekend, and someone (perhaps not them) had made a "bit" of a mess - of the track, and leaving rubbish around the hut - I brough out a big garbage bag full of bottles and things.

Took Little Cobblers Tk up and over to King Hut and then up King Hut Track.

King River crossing by the hut was probably about 500mm deep with some really deep holes.

King Hut Tk was muddy as, and very cut up with some extremely steep muddy sections with low traction especially close to the bottom and at the top.

Craigs Hut Tk was muddy but I think was being worked on a little by some roadworking equipment - I was there late, so was not entirely sure.

On Tuesday morning we went back up to Craig's Hut - was about the same as Monday night surprise surprise - noone had been there overnight! and then up and over (down) Monument Track.

Monument Track is very cut up, very muddy and some of the steeper sections needed a little road-building and had some deep and steep drop offs.

BUGGER IT! The Mt Stirling Management have closed the Mt Stirling Summit Track from 1st May the buggers with a big sign threatening to sue me if I went up there (so I didn't). What is that about? Is that new?

I have a LC 100 (thank god for live axle) stock height without the wheel under though (I have a Kaymar dual bar at rear), and Coopers ATs which performed well.

I did have momentary thoughts that it looked like I might be winching up King Hut Tk (or perhaps sleeping in King Hut for the night!) or winching off some rock, but don't think I really put a foot wrong any time it mattered. Perhaps it was a close thing, but I felt comfortable.

I'm sure many folks would be daunted by the conditions, and may not be as [insert your choice of adjective - stupid, willing, fearless, experienced, risk-taking, skilled] and perhaps therefore shouldn't attempt them.

I will post some pics later.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 425760

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:50

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:50
Good stuff.

When you say Mt Stirling Summit Track, do you mean Clearhills track over the top? :( May 1, wouldnt that bleep you off.
FollowupID: 425763

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:59

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 08:59
Yes Truckster. Sorry - Clear Hills Track from the Monument Track over the top.

Thanks Truckster - if it was later in the day I would have called them and given them an ear full about the May 1st closure. I will be calling to tell them that May 1 is a bit agressive - how about Queen's Birthday Weekend like the rest of the world.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 425765

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:08

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 09:08
unfortunately there are a number of tracks that close between may 1 and dec 1 to protect the tracks. Another that comes to mind is the Davies high plain track I think is now closed.

Leroy
FollowupID: 425768

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:22

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 14:22
These few images might give you some idea, but don't really show the full story.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 170441

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 22:03

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 22:03
yea that rock shelf is just before me in this photo...

Did ya stop at tunnel bend?

FollowupID: 426208

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 22:44

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 22:44
Nup - not so sure I know where tunnel bend is - will have to look at the CFA maps and see if it is on there - what track? whereabouts?

What's the rubber you're on there Truckster? How did they go - they look pretty new?

Did you stop by Lake Cobbler? It was a picture:

Craig's Hut was great with nobody else about:

We couldn't help stopping for the snow gums too:

And what have you done with your front number plate? do you mount it on your fairlead rollers usually?

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 426224

Sponsored Links