Plenty/Donahue Highway condition

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:05
ThreadID: 33224 Views:3247 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Just planning the Brisbane Ayers Rock trip in the School Holidays Sept/Oct 2006.

Does Anyone have any idea on what that road is really like and in particular at that time of the year?

Dont fancy carrying 2 spare tyres, but I will get the best and toughest tyres money can buy...your suggestions on this would be much appreciated too. (considering coopers)

i Will be towing an offroad jayco camper trailer with my brand new LC100 GXL V8.

Considering coming back via Oonadatta and the Birdsville track.

If anyone has done this recently your advice would be most welcome.

Oh by the way, has anyone done the road that goes from Windorah to Boulia via Bendourie, VIA the diamantina development Road? It just looks a little quicker...?

Thankyou..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wilgadene (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:54

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 13:54
Hi,
We went through in June last year for the first time and it was reasonable, but 1 week before and 1 day after it was apparently closed by rain, with roadtrain bogged etc. We will do it again but will probably spend a bit more time at Boulia next time as they have daily updates on the road conditions. We towed a camper trailer (1400kg) with a 2.8d 4 Runner fully loaded without problems. As you can imagine, slow going but I think that is why we had no problems (about max 85kph on the good dirt) and we were in no hurry. Spent the night at Tobermorey and got fuel etc. Loved it

AnswerID: 168887

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:33

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:33
I went through around two days after they opened it last year. The people in the garage at Boulia told me it was a piece of cake. I nearly choked on that piece of cake ! :)) So be careful about advice from the locals, often they are relying on info that's 2nd or 3rd hand.
FollowupID: 424255

Follow Up By: GEG - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:35

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:35
Hi Wilgadene,

thanks for the info.

I wonder if the rain would not be so prevelant in the Sept/Oct period.
Im thinking of one night Boulia, next night Tobermoney, 3rd night Alice?

Do you think thats reasonable.
?
FollowupID: 424256

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:41

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:41
I have always done the entire trip in a day, boulia to Alice, which means a very late arrival in Alice. It's a very long day. I'll be there again early June if the rains aren't about, but this time will break the journey around Jervois or Tobermary.
I'd expect little rain around the time you're going, but be careful of tyres and pressures. In particular the road from Jervois to Alice was quite stony. The track is renowned for doing tyres so take it easy.
Current road conditions are on this site
Site Link
FollowupID: 424259

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:44

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 15:44
Will probably be a bit worse for wear after the rains. When it is in good condition it is a pretty good run, but I would take a second tyre anyway.
FollowupID: 424263

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:24

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 21:24
GEG, if you are towing a trailer then you need spares for it as well as the vehicle. Having the best and toughest tyres won't save you from possibly needing two spares believe me. Murphy usually wins. The road going from Windorah to Bedourie is a good road provided the river is not over at Monkira. Doesn't need to be rain there either - just flood, as now.
Bit hard to tell you conditions just yet - it's very dry down here but has been very wet up there.
AnswerID: 168974

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 12:55

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 12:55
Hi Geg, have just done the trip from Birdsville/Boulia/ Alice. Birdsville to Boulia was a piece of cake , towing a c/t with tinny[5 hrs.] Boulia to Tobermorey also easy[5 HRS.],stayed there that night LONG GRASS EXCELLENT $25 i THINK. Tobermorey to the bituman was not as good[6 1/2 hrs.] very rough from Jervois station to bituman, 50 kph. in a lot of places. ave 18L/100 ks. camper weighed 1 tonne.. Hope this helps,obviously the condi. could be totally diff.when you go. Make sure you get to Birdsville though, GREAT people!! cya. Phil
AnswerID: 169061

Follow Up By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 13:00

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 13:00
PS.. let your tyres down as soon as you hit the gravel[25/28psi] I had no puntures all the way to Perth... Phil
FollowupID: 424400

Sponsored Links