ford escape

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:47
ThreadID: 33237 Views:1752 Replies:2 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, would like any feed back on ford escape!
trev17
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 944runner - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:03

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:03
What sort of feedback do ou want.
My brother has one and they seem to be quite reasonable to for a soft roader. What do you plan on doing with it?
He takes it most places I have been with the 4Runner, if you are serious about 4wd then I wouldnt go with it only because it has arms that come down from the centre of the rear diff to the wheels. This stops him from going through and ruts at all. He has also bent one when he hit a rock in a shallow river grossing.
They are more than capable on the bach and been through Sky Trek in the flinders with no probs at all.
Also a good road car with good fuel economy, however the cargo area is a little small if you are planning a trip with family in tow.
Hope that can be of some assistance.
AnswerID: 169042

Follow Up By: Member - trevor D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:58

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:58
Thanks 944runner, it would be mainly for around town, i am not thinking too much 4wdriving....it is only 2 of us. i was wondering about reliability,or any bad reports on them. trev
FollowupID: 424531

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:09

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:09
Do you need a AWD at all? If you're not going offroad at all, or limited to well made dirt roads, then be part of the solution not the problem.

You will be carrying around ~200 kg of AWD mechanicals that will in all likelyhood never be used. This, added to the extra drag of the mechanical systems (only disconnect at the engine end of the driver train, not the wheel hubs like true part time 4WD do) will be a permanant drain on fuel economy, and will just be more stuff to go wrong. Get a mid sized wagon....

FollowupID: 424659

Follow Up By: Member - trevor D (QLD) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:53

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:53
You really dont like these cars do you ,garyinoz..I am really am not into euro crap!!
FollowupID: 425695

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 00:12

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 00:12
We have been educated into believing that only the American/Japanese owned/franchised car companies are capable of producing quality vehicles, quite simply because that is all we have been exposed to.

The Europeans have been building cars for longer than the Americans (IIRC the first recognised self propelled internal combustion vehicle was Daimler's 3 wheeled buggy, no Henry Ford here...).

Each of the major European countries has one or two car manufacturers that are capable of producing quality vehicles (Peugeot, MercBenz, VW) for an international market, and although they have developed a different "direction" in the way they design their vehicles, it is not necessarily wrong in any way. Like all manufacturers they have their good designs and their not so good designs and compared with the US designs are not any better or worse (Ford Explorer, Pacer/Pinto, Chevvy Corvair, to name a few, along with our Camira, P76, anything BMC etc.)

The best analogy I've heard for 4WD is it's a bit like a condom. You may only need it once, but you want it to work for the entire time you need it. Most of the clutch type rear diff disconnects in softroaders just can't cut it when you really need them

FollowupID: 425734

Follow Up By: Member - trevor D (QLD) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 22:23

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 22:23
I do not agree on the usa/japan thing, when i was growing up, it was always the quality of the euro cars being pushed, and the yank /jap cars second rate!!!
FollowupID: 426212

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:15

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:15
Precisely my point, so why are you looking at a USA/Japanese vehicle.

One walk around and short drive of any of the US built vehicles would be enough to scare you off them (fit and finish, reliability, general lack of use of modern technology, poor handling).

The Japanese build generally good vehicles, but are still struggling with the "international" requirements of the market, versus their own marketing needs (only got to look at some of the disinctly "Japanese" models to undestand what I mean). It's only the foreign arms of the Japanese companies that can re-engineer anything that comes out of Japan (Australia, Toyota Camry), or that make models seperate to the Japanese market (US, Nissan Armada), or gets the vehicles made according to country of destination specifications (Toyota Corolla), that makes them marketable. "Japanese market" vehicles a have a lifespan of 4-5 yrs before they are turned over due to increased tax on ownership. Why would the manufacturers make something that will last 10-15 yrs for their domestic market?
They make it to last for 6 yrs in the average vehicle usage (cf. grey import Toyota Surf's many problems after a few years).

Europeans, (in particular the French) have a history of making vehicles that are able to take a thrashing and come back for more (Renault 2CV, Peugeot 404), mainly through their political and economic connection with a lot of the North African countries, and the rugged terrain that exists there (not unlike Australia). They generally make them easy to service, if you know what you are doing (there are of course some exceptions).

I still say, think about what you really need, rather than the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality, have a look at a few European vehicles, as a contrast if nothing else, weigh up the 5-7l/100km Tdiesel vs 11-13l/100km petrol (NOT Govt figures, but real day-to-day consumption figures). Over the 1st 100 000km it is about $9000 in fuel saved (at $1.50/l) If you do a few laps of Australia towing a small van and see several hundred thousand km you will end up on your second petrol engine, but still running in your first Tdiesel.
FollowupID: 426230

Follow Up By: Member - trevor D (QLD) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:24

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:24
Well gaz, i bought the old escape, new /2.3lt and i got a tell ya , it bloody drives quite nicely, only time will tell on the fuel econ.....
FollowupID: 426836

Reply By: Cornelius - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:24

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:24
These are good little cars to drive. The V6 option has loads of power and is fairly capable on the beach. As with any soft roader the clearance is a bit of a problem but with OME upgrade you might get a couple of extra centimeters underneath. I would not take it for any serious 4wd stuff. A cargo barier in the back helps with getting all the gear in for our family of four.
AnswerID: 169051

Follow Up By: Member - trevor D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:00

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:00
I was thinking of the 2.3 4cyl model . just mainly for around town.
trev
FollowupID: 424533

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:14

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:14
See above.

There are far better options around if you look a bit more broadly, and match your NEEDS (not wants) with what is available. 2.3 liters (~110 kW) pulling a vehicle that is 200kg heavier than a Commodore( at150-175 kW), don't expect it to be a nice, relaxing drive around town, or for that matter economical.
FollowupID: 424661

Follow Up By: Member - trevor D (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 21:40

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 21:40
Garyinoz, mate i have driven one and i thought it was quite good,my current car is a ba xr6 and i must say i was impressed with the ride,performance.......and on paper has a lot better fuel ecom. than a 6cyl.
trev d
FollowupID: 424705

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 22:18

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 22:18
Thinking more along the lines of a turbodiesel european wagon. Better fuel economy by far, easier to drive/manoever around town, and still capable of a sprint down the freeways and dirt roads. If 5-7 L/100km with good to very good performance, and more than adequate load carrying capacity doesn't make it a compelling inclusion into your radar.........................
FollowupID: 424710

Follow Up By: Member - trevor D (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:24

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:24
MATE, looking at a very nice 2004 rav4 with everything on it,,i know what your saying about the european cars, but i have never been a big lover of them!
trev d
FollowupID: 425069

Sponsored Links