pvc roof rack pipes

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:25
ThreadID: 33262 Views:22512 Replies:16 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all after looking through many archives it seems loads of you have the PVC pipes on racks for all kinds of storage reasons. my question is do you make them yourselfs or can you buy them ready made. If making them what is involved ,, eg screw ends , glue , caps etc etc.. and are all these bits easy to get from a hardware store or plumbing supplier ?

any tip would be great.

Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BigMav - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:41

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:41
Hi Craig,
very easy to do, I have two 100mm diameter pipes running down each side of the roof rack for water 16ltrs each. I put a tap at the rear end, and 't' section in the middle with a threaded top to take an threaded end cap (I fill it here). The other ends have no thread and are siliconed in place. All that was required to put it togeather was a hacksaw and silicon. The materials were from a friend but are available in harware store. A tip - make one end threaded to unscrew and clean (wish I did!) and if for water storage drill a small hole in the filler cap to release presure or you may end up with a leak (learnt this from experience),

Cheers
BigMav
AnswerID: 169093

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:43

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:43
Craig

Bunnings or Mitre 10 everything you need for your PVC storage or if you want to purchase ready made Rhino Rack and browse the site. They have the PVC tubing and bits for sale.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 169094

Follow Up By: macca172 - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:20

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:20
Craig,

I costed the Rhino product and trust me, you will be much better off financially, if you DIY and source the materials from Bunnings etc.

Macca
FollowupID: 424454

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:47

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:47
Craig,

You can by them ready made, but it's just as easy to buy the components and make one to suit your exact purposes.

The most common size is 100 mm PVC tube, but make sure you buy the "pressure pipe". This, and the reinforced end caps are available at any Plumbing supply store.
You should be able to buy whatever length you require.

Retail shops such as Roof Rack World and Roof Rack City also supply these components and special brackets to attach to Roof Racks.
You can even get smicky hinged type end caps which twist sideways to open/close and these are lockable.

But, the cheapest solution definately is from Plumber Supply Outlets.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 169095

Reply By: Member - Ray ( (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 15:03

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 15:03
PVC pipe very handy!..You can screw-cap and seal end, to stor water..fit a small tap. One good idea that works well is to paint pipe black ( attach to roofrack or bullbar) provided it is in the sun, at end of a days travelling, the water is hot..good enough for washing etc.
AnswerID: 169099

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:13

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:13
For storing tent poles or similar things, the PVC tube on roof rack idea sounds reasonable to me. But for storing water? Very inefficient (size to volume) ratio and a heavy, possibly sloshing, weigth where you do not want it. Also, you need a hose and pump to fill it if away from a handy water tap, carrying a water can up there to fill the tube is a bit silly as ideas go.

Just to suggest an alternative idea, I made hollow running boards for the troopie which hold 20 litres each. I use that water for washing up and the one on the sunny side gets nice and warm too.
Klaus
FollowupID: 424451

Reply By: Arkay - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 16:50

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 16:50
If you are using it for storing poles & want to unscrew the cap often I suggest you take a thinggymajiggy for removing oil filters in cars. A sort of strap with a binding handle. Reason is the ends caps can get really sticky with dust & B hard to remove.
AnswerID: 169116

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:10

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:10
If it is useful, and I remember the figures correctly, 100 dia pipe gives 8 litres per metre of length.
AnswerID: 169123

Follow Up By: BigMav - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:38

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:38
That sounds right mine are 2m and 16ltrs, the volume is (length x area of a circle) length x 3.1415 x radius squared;)
FollowupID: 424563

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:49

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 17:49
clamps for above can also be purchased from a good plumbing outlet or ezystrut or equivalent
AnswerID: 169137

Reply By: craig - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:43

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 18:43
Thanks a bunch guys thats the info I was after .. will get to work. was just going to use them for storage but the black / warm water for a shower sounds good to.

Craig
AnswerID: 169145

Follow Up By: Scrubcat - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 19:50

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 19:50
When I was making mine the only plumbing supply/ hardware store I could find that would cut pipe to length was Bunnings.
They are available at caravan sales outlets but more expensive than do it yourself.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 424506

Reply By: Member - Ray ( (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 19:02

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 19:02
Well, V8Troopy,
The idea re storing water was one I have actually seen for myself..seemed to work ok to me! Then, what the hell do I know?...You have taught me one thing...keep my ideas to myself, and leave it to you experts.
Bronco
AnswerID: 169150

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 19:57

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 19:57
Oh don't go all silly on us - he raises some valid points, if you feel he's wrong then present a counter argument?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 424510

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:02

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:02
Hi

have one on each side of the rack for poles, fishing rods etc. Made them up myself and used large SS hose clamps to fix them on. These were hard to find - not at Bunnings. Went to a Truck Spares place where they are sold at cheaper than smaller ones from Bunnings.
AnswerID: 169166

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:04

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:04
If joining the PVC with solvent cement make sure you but the one for potable water. Normal sewer solvent ain't good for you.
AnswerID: 169167

Reply By: Member - Ray ( (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:47

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 20:47
Hey Mike.
Not going 'silly'on you!! (hmmmm, sounds almost school-girlish!), certainly not getting into any form of arguement about it. Just saw the application a while ago, and it seemed a good idea at the time. But I am the first to admit I know nothing about such things, so, like I said, leave it to the experts! Now, if it's something to do with distance and perspective in relation to applying oil to canvas,..then bring it on! By the way, the guy who demonstrated the useage, was, by all account, a person who spends a lot of time in the bush, and I thought it was kind of a good idea at the time, and was purely passing on the option.
Happy motoring!
Bronco
AnswerID: 169181

Reply By: Pedro the One - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:34

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:34
Re; the PVC thing . I have a troopy with 3bars and a small basket and two PVC tubes. On passenger side I have approx. 2m of 150, yes 150mm tube, painted black (a couple of $2.50 MATT Black aerosols from any cheap shop!) with sealed cap on FWD end and Screw-on cap on rear. Originally had a small LEVER type tap on one end (FWD) with a screw thread on mouth of tap, to which was attached a STD garden tap/hose tail, (both readily avail from any hardware shop.)
Worked perfeckally on level ground ... PITA on uneven ground. Had to use the Hi-lift to get the drain action working ! Solved that by fitting another tap to the rear end screw-on cap, again with a std garden hose fitting. So now it don't matter about uneven ground any more and thusly both ends function ! And refilling is really simple ..... just connect any standard garden hose to either end, making sure to OPEN THE TAP FIRST and start filling, at home, at a servo or anywhere you can fudge a normal garden hose. Just keep filling 'till the overflow shows ......Oooops, almost forgot ........... have a boat drain bung (screw-in type) as vent (and bucket inlet !) for the odd occasion when I fill from a creek or river.

Have a short hose with a stop-cick for everyday use and a longer hose with a cut-off shower rose for the end of day warm ablutes, much appreciated by the ladies and kids [and me.]

First post for this fella ........
Have 'lurked' for a few months and had a ball listening and learning !!!! Couldn't stand it any longer ......... the cheque is in the mail (trust me, I'm a Doctor, nothing will happen ......... and it won't hurt a bit, believe me ...........takes me back to the old days again !!! ) and just waiting for number and sticker.

AnswerID: 169240

Follow Up By: Pedro the One - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:44

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:44
forgot this vital bit: ................. drill a smallee hole in the drain bung itself and use light cord to secure it to your roofrack .... that way you won't be perpetually driving off without losing it ... as some-one frequently has! You get to find out that all your water has 'sloshed' out ..... usually when you reach your water-scarce camp-site.
FollowupID: 424575

Reply By: chips - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:11

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:11
hi all, just to add my 2bobs worth in,I was going to make up "water tanks" also, a friend who is a plumber and does a lot of 4wding saod dont use PVC piping for cooking or drinking as the pipe leaches lead and other toxins.
as i said just my 2bobs worth
CHIPS
AnswerID: 169242

Reply By: Doctor Evil (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:23

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:23
My 2 bob's worth...................

If using the PVC pipe as a storage compartment for tent poles, make the pipe length only marginally longer than the poles (collapsed if that type).
Then cut and glue some high density foam to the inside of your caps.
This will
1. stop the poles from rattling and
2. stop the poles from flying out through the end cap in the event of a sudden stop.

Doc.
AnswerID: 169297

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:29

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 17:29
If you want to reduce the tendency for your vehicle to roll over, then you are better off keeping dense things like water and metal poles low down in the vehicle and using the roof rack for low density things like bedding and clothing.

Mike
AnswerID: 169344

Sponsored Links