Patrol TD42 Turbo

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 15:21
ThreadID: 3328 Views:6715 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Am seriously looking at a turbo for my GQ patrol TD42. I'm in SE Qld and all/ any advice on which one to go for, installers etc. would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ralph - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 15:42

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 15:42
The guys at Opposite Lock in Brisbane did mine and they were not only very well priced, but they were a pleasure to deal with. My TD 42 now goes most places in 4th or 5th where I used to have to get back to 3rd all the time. These guys do not overboost or overfuel your motor because they set it up for reliability. I could not recommend them highly enough.
AnswerID: 12902

Follow Up By: David - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 15:47

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 15:47
Thanks- did you go for an intercooler- I think i probably won't because it's a lot of extra $$$
Also what did you pay and has it made it more prone to overheating.
Thanks again
FollowupID: 7527

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 18:01

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 18:01
OK. Denco Diesel Click Here

Thats the system I have on my GQ TD42.. We installed another one on a mates Manual TD42 3 weeks ago...

Never tried anything like that before, but for the price, and power increase I would do it again!

Comes COMPLETE with 2.5 Manderal bend exhaust from Turbo to behind the end!!!! Under $3000.

Puts out better low down power than Safari and DTS systems.(thats what ARB sth told me.).

Bolt on the manafold, exhaust, crossover pipe onto the inlet from the turbo. and a few oil pipes... Seriously, if you have a good tool box and a day to spare, shiat it in.

All up it took us less than a day bt we replaced a few other things while at it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Intercooler.
Im getting one made up Copy of the DTS but thicker and bit bigger (allows better flow and volume of air!) for 1/2 the price DTS Charges...

AWILL4x4 from this list makes intercoolers works for D&F Racing in Carrum Downs Vic, but could freight if need be. Call and talk to him about it. VERY knowledgeable.

Learn about turbos ARE has the best site for learning about Turbos and Intercoolers.

Thats the intercooler itself. Then DTS Sell the Intercooler Kit MINUS the intercooler for $250! So thats ALL pipes and hoses mounts Airbox the LOT $250!

I will up some photos tonight of the turbo and stuff.

http://error404.at/birds
AnswerID: 12911

Follow Up By: David - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:02

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:02
Truckster- really appreciate the info.
I would much rather fit it myself, as my GQ has never been anywhere for work other than my garage in it's lifetime!
The ONLY problem I've had with it is the clock stopped working (I stuck a $10 LCD one on top of the original)
If I can fit the turbo- so much the better- as long as it won't affect any warranty etc.
Any more info I'd be very gratefull
Thanks and Cheers
FollowupID: 7552

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 23:13

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 23:13
David... Talking to a guy in the club his clock stopped working 5 weeks after buying it from new.. He didnt worry about it..

They all stop!

Any questions mail me off list... I recommend the Denco LOTS...

vfr750fv
at
yahoo
dot
com
FollowupID: 7561

Reply By: ralph - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:44

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:44
David, they say that Denco is a very good kit as well, the guys here are right. Mine cost $2900 unfitted. I did not fit mine because I did not want any warranty issues to come up. DTS is also a very good kit and a friend fitted his but we both reckon our GQ goes better than each other's. No intercoolers because we both run 9psi boost and you really only need an intercooler when you wind up the boost & fuel. Opposite Lock Brisbane say fit the turbo first and if you want still more power then wind up the fuel and increase boost but also fit an intercooler. I believe them because they do fit a lot of turbos, Denco recommended them. Mine does not over heat at all & it uses a bit less fuel.
AnswerID: 12951

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 11:34

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 11:34
Im now running 11psi....

Ralph, go up 1psi and its a whole new world!!! Im not joking. I would like to go to 12 psi.... that would be nice.

Mark that worked at ARB sth in Dande is running 20psi with the Denco System!
FollowupID: 7587

Reply By: colin - Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 14:46

Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 14:46
have a look at fitting a super charger, have fitted one to my 92 td42, bit more exspensive, equall to a intercooled turbo but with far more benefits. The units are filly servicable and unlike a turbo if something goes wrong take the belt off and keep driving. The units are the same as what holden fit to their v6 commodores and all parts are available over the counter. I tow a camper trailer so this set up is ideal as the power comes in from idle, most turbos dont come in till 1800 plus revs. I live in bris if you are interested in seeing the set up. Col
AnswerID: 13197

Follow Up By: David - Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:21

Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:21
Thanks Colin,- sounds great.
I'm definitely exploring all options before jumping in, and this is one I had not even thought of as basically I had not heard of it being done.
If you could email me at davnye@hotmail.com with a phone number or atleast an email address, I'd love to discuss it further- Thank you.
FollowupID: 7759

Reply By: nugget - Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 23:00

Saturday, Feb 15, 2003 at 23:00
I have fitted a Safari / intercooler system I found second hand for $1500
to my GQ. Had it dynoed and new injectors. 98 kw @4000 rpm @rear wheels. Much improved over standard. Performs very similarly to mates HZJ80 with schwitzer turbo no intercooler. Also similar to my previous 4wd a 1986 Landrover 110 with 6.2 V8 diesel fitted.(the landy was better offroad though!)
AnswerID: 13221

Follow Up By: David - Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:23

Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:23
Thanks- did you fit it yourself? And where did you find a second hand turbo- I was told they were a bit like hen's teeth......
FollowupID: 7760

Follow Up By: Nugget - Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 16:36

Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 16:36
David
Yes I did fit it myself.The hardest part was fitting the intercooler which is situated in front of the radiator. You have to trim the crap out of the grill to clear the intercooler and for some reason the inlet pipe which is from underneath, hit the aircon idler pulley so I had to cut it and have it re-welded at an angle to clear the pulley. And of coarse you have to cut a hole next to the left hand headlight for the plumbing between intercooler and intake manifold. The precleaner had to be removed aswell. The unit was found rather by accident by a friend of mine who happened to be talking to someone who was about to remove his engine and fit a 6.5 V8 diesel. He agreed to sell the turbo/intercooler system seperately from the engine. The turbo had done around 150000km. By the way it is running 11 psi boost.
FollowupID: 7778

Sponsored Links