Turbo the Triton

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 18:17
ThreadID: 33303 Views:1715 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a spare 2.8 Triton in really good nick at work that we no longer have a need for. I am going to give the Triton away to tow a camper. The 2.8 without turbo is not great at towing was thinking of putting a turbo on for the guy prior to giving it to him.
Has anybody experience at fitting a turbo to the Triton and does it give the ooOOOMPH required to tow and reliability?
Many thanks in anticipation for informed replies
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:50

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:50
I fitted a Denco (Schwitzer) to my '97 Triton a few weeks ago - it was fitted professionaly by Marion Turbo Services at Mitchell Park here in Adelaide. It was a very very professional job - beautifully done with 'old fashioned' expertise and care. I did not want to have any risk of cooking the motor or wrecking gearboxes etc with the extra power and this turbo won't do that - the Triton's no F111 even with the unit fitted. However, it is definitely more powerful and has more torque - it will now go up fairly steep grades into the Adelaide foothills in a higher gear. I am yet to use it in the sand (which is where I had the problems with the normally aspirated motor) but am doing Googs Track in July so will be a good test then. I expect the turbo to make a massive difference to the way it will 'drive' the vehicle through sand though.
If you have some good engineers there to fit the unit properly I think it's a good investment. Should be about $3,000. For a little more my installer had a look at the car at 500 kms to check everything over for no extra cost.
AnswerID: 169420

Follow Up By: Robin-Outback - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 15:25

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 15:25
George thanks for the reply.
Did you fit the 21/4" exhaust system at the same time?
FollowupID: 424825

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 17:22

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 17:22
Hi - yes -the new exhaust system either comes in the total 'package' from Denco or (in some cases) is made locally by the installer. In my case it all came from Denco straight to Adelaide.
AnswerID: 169530

Follow Up By: Robin-Outback - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 18:40

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 18:40
Many thanks for the information George. I think I will get it done for the guy.
FollowupID: 424862

Sponsored Links