Extra Fuel

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 21:49
ThreadID: 33313 Views:1677 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm still tieing up loose ends for our trip and now I'm confused re carrying extra fuel. When I consider some of the exhorbitant prices charged at roadhouses I always endeavour to refuel in towns,hence the need for extra fuel. I am aware that it is illegal to carry fuel on the rear bumper of a caravan but is it OK to carry fuel in the enclosed back of a ute. We will be travelling through WA,NT & SA so different regulations could apply.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 22:08

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 22:08
The point of carrying extra fuel is to get between known distances that do not have reliable supply of fuel. If you have to travel 1200km between 2 points without refuelling you will need sufficient for the trip + 20% reserve (just in case; for safety). If I understand you correctly, you are trying to save the elusive 4c a litre in the middle of nowhere. For the saving of $4.00 per 100 litres, the extra load on your vehicle and engine with weight, the cost of tanks to carry it, and the general hassle, I don't see the point. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not having a go at you, but have you thought it through. I hope I have read your post correctly.
AnswerID: 169395

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:40

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:40
Good points PK. As it is asked about exorbitant fuel costs at roadhouses I really wonder. These places are there as a business for our convenience and opportunity. If the situation was an exorbitant one, competition from others would bring it back to the field to some extent with users avoiding that roadhouse.

PK you recognse the cost I think of getting fuel to these outposts. That just seems expensive but really there is a cost in getting it there and it is getting higher with every world price increase.

I think that westskip is also asking of Dangerous Goods legislation too. If the fuel was out side the passenger space in a ute in sealed containers it would be legal.
FollowupID: 424746

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 15:29

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 15:29
Agree with you. 4c a litre not worth it.

But if it was 20c a litre, would that be worth it?

Jerry can for $25 to $30, plus carrying it. Use it maybe once a trip for that really long stretch.
At 20c a litre, you save $4.00 a jerry can.
So you need to do it for 6 to 8 trips just to get the money back on the jerry can!

Makes you wonder about long range tanks at $700.00 plus, when you are only driving past remote fuel outlets.
Canning might be a different reason, or the Simpson with a couple of jerry cans.

I have a long range tank because the original tank split a few times on a trip with bad corrugations, and the longe range tank was cheaper than an original tank.
FollowupID: 424826

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 16:21

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 16:21
I think Westskip has misunderstood the purpose of carrying extra fuel. It is out of necessity to get where you want to go, it is not an optional extra. Your scenario is break even, and you would need to be getting a lot of use to achieve it. Also not factored in is the loss from bowser to jerry and jerry to tank. I'm sure it is not a lot, but could easily equate to 4c a litre on its own. I don't think it feasible overall to carry extra as a cost saving exercise.
FollowupID: 424840

Follow Up By: westskip - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:07

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:07
I haven't been to the north of WA since july 2003 but I do know that fuel at Nanutarra road house was 20cpl dearer than Carnarvon and around 12cpl dearer than Onslow which is only 100km away.
Main idea of extra fuel was for emergency and then only 2x 20l.
Many thanks for your replies.
FollowupID: 425107

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:18

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:18
Now I understand. That makes sense. Still think it will not save money, it is a justified cost. I don't think you had the other part of your question answered. I don't know, but think JohnR is close.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Best of Luck.
FollowupID: 425128

Sponsored Links