Help with GU Patrol and Hayman Reese Towbar!!

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 16:23
ThreadID: 33353 Views:2322 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hoping that one or more of you knowledgeable folk out there can help me fix up a faux pas I just made while trying to repair a faulty earth on my towing electrics. My GU is fitted with an aftermarket Hayman Reese towbar which is afixed by 5 bolts (2 at R, 2 at L and 1 roughly in the middle). The earth for my towing electics was located under the bolt in the middle and you guessed it when I removed the bolt I find the nut is free floating behind some of the chassis work. Before I go ahead and remove the rear plastic bumbers (L and R) and the centre step c/w U-bolt thingy.....does anyone know if doing this will give me open access to the chassis where that elusive nut is now floating around laughing (well it would if it could) at me? Also, is there anything I should be wary of in removing the rear bumber/step?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 17:50

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 17:50
I just removed that same rear step last week on mine. No probs or tricks to bugger you up but I don't remember any access points to the chasis there. It was all solid as far as I remember.
Happy nut hunting.

Trevor.
AnswerID: 169692

Reply By: gompy - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:51

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 19:51
The bolt you are referring to has, or suppose to have, an steel wire, 3mm thick, welded to it to stop it turning when it was fitted, it has probably broken of.
The best way to to get it out is with a magnet, bugger of a job though.
AnswerID: 169711

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:25

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:25
I have the same rig (almost) on my wagon and am currently working on chasing a faulty earth, which was all my own work. Hopefully it sorted tomorrow morning. However I'm not sure what the nut/bolt in the middle is to which you refer, all of my bolts are on the sides against the chasie rails.

The wire that is welded to some nuts and bolts at the rear end is weld rod, used to locate the nuts/bolts in positions in little places where the fingers can't reach. Your nut may have this attached so don't bust it off.

I repositioned the trailer plug from underneath the towbar, where it was going to be ripped off at the first dip, to underneath the alloy rear step where its now protected by the Tbar. Having said all this, I can't solve your current delima until I have a look in the morn.
FollowupID: 425070

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:50

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:50
Thanks Guys - just completed the job. Found the nut (well a piece of flat threaded mild steel) attached to about 200mm of 3mm rod. It has dropped into the towbar frame and out of sight. After much cursing got hold of it and refixed.
Thanks again
Pete
AnswerID: 169787

Sponsored Links