Coles/Shell to limit fuel discount

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 21:46
ThreadID: 33361 Views:3584 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day All,

Found out today that Coles/Shell will limit the filling of containers other than vehicle fuel tanks to 25 litres.

So much for the 150 litre discount, now all you get is the tank plus one jerry can.

Asked for exactly where it says I can't fill my jerries, was told it has always been in the fine print, but not enforced until recently

Take care if you fill up to ensure you get the discount on ALL the fuel you bought, not just the fuel in the vehicle tank

Regards

Rolande
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lorne - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:03

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:03
Hi
Just done a search and this is the fine print
http://www.colesexpress.com.au/saveonpetrol.asp#discount

Lorne............
AnswerID: 169738

Follow Up By: rolande- Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:08

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:08
So, while they are trying to increase business no worries, but now that they have market share, no way.

Have bee filling containers since the discounts started and have never been questioned, until today

Rolande
FollowupID: 425077

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:05

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:05
If Coles/Shell offer the discount then Coles/Shell have every right to make the rules on how the discount will be applied. Probably the biggest gripe is that those rules must be clear and publicised so you aren't caught paying more than you expected AFTER you filled up a 90 litre vehicle tank and then and filled your 60 litres of jerries.

I use a Shellcard which charges the fuel back to a Salary Sacrifice arrangement with my employer so get an effective 30% discount on all fuel bought. Sadly when you use a Shellcard the 4c a litre discount does not apply. Ahh well - you can't have it all!!!

Muddy
AnswerID: 169740

Follow Up By: rolande- Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:09

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 22:09
G'Day Muddy,

That was my main gripe, never been questioned all these years, until today

Rolande
FollowupID: 425078

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:46

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:46
muddy...do you get the 30% or does the co?
FollowupID: 425121

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:18

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:18
I too had a Shell card until they wanted a $250 post tax retainer as they calimed they weren't being paid on time.

Even had my card declined on Saturday afternoon (after a $130 purchase of diesel) to find 2 days later that Shell claimed they hadn't been paid so froze all the cards. The annoying thing is you couldn't find out from Shell why the card wouldn't work....at least I could contact Caltex after hours....the 5c a litre discount shell provide us wasn't worth the hassle. Try asking them a question about bio-diesel and see what reply you get....

I now carry Caltex and BP as well. The lease company is now providing Custom Fleet cards as well which we can use anywhere and apparently claim the Woolies discount as well!
FollowupID: 425156

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:58

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:58
On our Salary scarifice deal we get to pay most of our vehicular expenses out of Pretax Salary. Here's how it works.

I take out a Novated lease for a new Prado with Toyota Financial Services for 5 years. My employer then pays the monthly Lease payments, Maintenance fund, Insurance and Rego from my pretax salary. They also provide me with a Shell card and a Caltex card. Any fuel I buy for the Prado goes on those cards and is also charged back to my employer who pays the bill from my pretax salary.

Because I, as an employee, am a business expense to my employer, my employer can claim a GST Input Tax Credit on all these expenses therefore they claim that and I don't pay any GST. This is the benefit to the employer. Makes the Salary budget stretch a little bit further.

Because the ABC is claiming those vehicle expenses as a business cost (instead of paying me in cash salary) ALL use of the vehicle is considered business use and is therefore tax deductible. There is a fringe benefits tax contribution that I have to make up but this is not very much. Basically I spend about $16,000 a years leasing and running the Prado. Due to Salary Sacrificing about $11,000 of this is tax deductible so I effectly save paying 30 cents in each dollar than if I had just taken the money as cash and then gone and paid for my own car. I save about $6,000 a year when all savings are taken into account.

It can be a bit complex to understand but if your employer is willing to provide it then it can save big bucks.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 425236

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:05

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:05
What are they going to do come out and watch you fill up the car or scroll back throe the video footage to prove that you indeed filled up 2 cans and not one?

I hardly use the 4cents off anyway, for the $2 or what ever you save on a tank

I buy Shell simply because that’s what the old man always filled up with when I was a kid and now it’s just programmed into the old brain LOL

Speaking of which what brand dose every body else use and why.

I Know people who use BP, Caltex and so on for the same reason as I use Shell

My Grandfather originally started working for Mobil or Vacuum oil, as it was originally know, but sadly a lot of the collectable stuff has been misplaced, sold and lost over the years.

Stuff like the real old school Bowsers, The Big signs of the Mobil Flying horse (Pegasus I think it’s name was), Vacuum oil/ Mobil oil signs all that good stuff, His Speed boat was even called Pegasus LOL. Still got small bit’s and some Photos thou.
AnswerID: 169751

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:11

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:11
Spot on.

Why get exited about something that effects some of us a few times. You're right how are they going to know....most servos I go too are so busy old mate at the counter is busier than a one legged bloke at an a!@# kicking contest. Most of them are too dunb to even know the container limit. With a cue going out the door do you think they are going to argue the toss over a second jerry?
FollowupID: 425155

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:12

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:12
That sucks.
Never done the jerry thing, but now that they hold the monopoly, they wont give a bleep .

Do people really use the 4 cents off thing? I mean pay thru the arse for your groceries, and then pay extra at pump, and "SAVE" 4 cents?
AnswerID: 169752

Follow Up By: cloughie - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:50

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:50
Got an extra 20c per litre off because i bought 6 bottles of wine at Liquorland.Filled up with 90 litres and was glad to save 24c per litre on the fill.Wine is not bad also.
FollowupID: 425208

Follow Up By: rolande- Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:27

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:27
Spend $30 at Bi-Lo, which is cheaper than Safeway, the only two in town. Add this to the 10c Fly-Buys vouchers I had been given and save $21 a tank. Otherwise look who has the cheaper fuel and if I have a voucher that is a bonus anyway, about $4 a tank.

Doesn't always work this way but when it does it is helpful.

Rolande
FollowupID: 425335

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:47

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 23:47
I had some flybuy vouchers that gave me an additional 10cpl off. Filled up 6 jerries today at Shell for an upcoming desert trip, and topped up to the full 150 litres - saved me $21 off the bill. I reckon the poeple who man the checkouts couldn't care less.
AnswerID: 169755

Reply By: fisho64 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:31

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:31
Not many people seem to realize that where the 4 cent discount was 4% at $1 a litre, at $1.50 it is only about 2 1/2%.
It will continue to evaporate as fuel goes up.
Our local Coles has also installed a coin operated tyre pump, f...... scammers
AnswerID: 169760

Follow Up By: ev700 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:53

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:53
Miserable buggers.

Remember when driveway service was abolished and the pollies said never worry because it resulted in savings and a discount for the motorist.

Bulldust!
FollowupID: 425100

Reply By: VK3CAT - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:31

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:31
Not a comment on the fuel containers but on Fuel pricing etc. Look up MotorMouth (http://motormouth.com.au) and or the state motoring group (RACV in Vic) to check out where the cheapest fuel is in your area or an area that you are going to visit.
It is often that fuel can be obtained cheapper than the Shell / Coles franchise even with the 4 cents off. And as an aside, why would you want to queue up for fuel anyway!
Try using an independent dealer.

Cheers Tony.
AnswerID: 169769

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:58

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:58
Yeah, I would except when I hear of drivers pumps being overhauled at 3 or 4 or more thousand due to crap fuel from dodgy bros. inc. fuel stop it puts me off.
(I'm talking about truck pumps so price may be exaggerated compared to 4b pumps???)

Trevor.
FollowupID: 425108

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:31

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:31
Why not jus 1/2 fill + JC & come bak later & do another JC,or,like the funny lady (smart) I saw at Coles checkout..She was past "customs" & op asked next lady if she had Fly-Bys."No" Funny lady said,use my card..She did ,so,she got the Fly Bys on top of the kit she had already purch...Could get the guy filling at next pump to fill our JC and pay him/her the price less disc.Yeah! Getting a bit complicated hey!..Our RACQ could buy and sell a lot of these fuel outlets..Why don't we do like the "drinkers" at Theodore that bought the hotel and run it as a co-op,like our big Mitre-Ten here in Emerald..Then,instead of just the cleveramusing RACQ insurance adverts on TV,we could have fuel commercials also"Charter boat!"
AnswerID: 169770

Reply By: Peter - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 19:34

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 19:34
rolande,
as someone who works at a coles express i can tell you we dont give a rat's toss about how many jerry cans you fill. the only thing we look at is that the container used is legal. if it isnt we will stop the pump. if it is, fill to your heart's content.
if you actually got someone who actually cared if you used more than one jerry can then you are one unlucky fellow.
if you want to make sure you get the discount just use the same pump without putting it back in the nozzle holder. the computer can only give a discount for the full amount on the pump, not a part amount.
AnswerID: 169884

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:29

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:29
I was wondering how they were going to enforce it. I just get the jerries out and inline and go for it. The poor bugger behind the console has'nt got a hope in hell most days. It's just too busy for one person generally.

Regards
FollowupID: 425283

Follow Up By: rolande- Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:35

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:35
I must have been unlucky, never been asked the question before.

However, one of your fellow employees was prepared to push the issue. When I said that it was crap as I had never been questioned before, and at times have filled 5 or 6 jerries, she said that was why most don't bother because the customers complain too much.

I replied that we probably complain because it is hidden in the fine print, not displayed, and so customers are ambushed at the register.

She then said she would give me the full discount, so why did she bother raising the issue in the first place?

At the wages they pay you why would you bother? No advantage in it for you

Rolande
FollowupID: 425336

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:45

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:45
It'd be interesting to see how she was going to provide you with receipts, which she must, if you demand them.

Regards
FollowupID: 425339

Reply By: tex1972 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:21

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:21
I can't believe people in Port Macquarie even bother going to the Shell to get there "discount" of 4 cents .The other morning I filled up my own ute with ulp for 138.9 cents then drove my work ute in and filled up at the shell (we have cards ) and guess what , the fuel was 144.9 cents so with your whopping 4 cents a litre they are still screwing you. Being a bit curious I checked a couple of times on the weekend and guess what Shell was always 4 to 6 cents dearer.
AnswerID: 169918

Follow Up By: rolande- Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:38

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 08:38
Not only Port Macquarie, Geelong always 6 - 10 cents dearer at Coles/Shell than Apco 100m down the road. Funny that Coles/Shell do not advertise diesel price on the board, but proudly display ULP with the 4 cent discount - cheaper than Apco up the road.

It is a deliberate pricing policy to rip us off further

Rolande
FollowupID: 425338

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 15:55

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 15:55
..."deliberate pricing policy " aka "Marketing Tactic"
And it has worked perfectly for them.

I liked the promo not long ago that made it to TV... Buy 2 or more bottles of OJ at our shop that is only a few more dollars higher than supermarket prices, and we will give you 8c off a litre (limit 45 litres)... So you still lose, but the 8c is sounds better than woolies' 4c.

I have found the humor in it though- like sitting in someone's car as they drive 15 mins to the one servo that honours their docket because their local servo doesnt have any 4c off deals, then having to reorgnise your day because you are in the wrong corner of the city to what you wanted.
Hell- I'd pay $5 for them to not waste half an hour of my time.

FollowupID: 425401

Sponsored Links