FJ73 Fuel economy and replacement seats

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:51
ThreadID: 33371 Views:8650 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all.
I've just bought a mint condition FJ73 Landcruiser. I'm very mindfull of the fact that the 3F petrol motor is a thirsty bugger but the price was right and this immaculately maintained, FJ73 was the best I've ever seen.

Whilst I'm reluctant to change too much, I'm considering my options, and would appreciate your thoughts on potential mods to existing motor, or engine swaps to acheive increased power and economy.

If I was to do an engine swap, I'd stick with ULP and would probably opt for a late model injected motor, say late ford 4 litre EB to AU etc. Even toyota's 1UZ V8 sounds interesting but I think I'd prefer more space around the motor once in.
If anyone has experience in this area, I'd love some feedback, especially names of suppliers of relevant kits etc.

My second quiery results from having a ride in an import BJ74LX with the recaro seats. Does anyone know of a good, cost effective seat upgrade? Does anyone know where I can get hold of a second hand set of the BJ74 recaros?

Cheers, Ron.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: STEVE069 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:39

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:39
Hi Ron, I had a FJ37 with the 3f motor, 3-400k from a tank of petrol. I put in a 1996 1HZ 4.2 diesel and got 700k from the same size tank, all HZJ75 parts fit, all you have to do is fabricate new chassis mounts for the engine everything els bolts straight in. Heaps more power and more MPG. Just a thought.

Steve
AnswerID: 169799

Follow Up By: ronahl - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 12:48

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 12:48
Thanks Steve. Sounds very interesting. I've got a couple of questions you might be able to help me with though.
What did you have to do to the fuel system to get it right?
Are you saying that the 1HZ 4.2 bolts straight up to the FJ73 5 speed (3F) gearbox?
FollowupID: 425150

Follow Up By: STEVE069 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:35

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 13:35
Hi again Ron, The FJ73 already has a fuel return pipe to the tank, so you hook the the fuel feed to the petrol feed and the injecter pump return to the return pipe. When I fitted mine I fitted a HZJ75 box but you can use the FJ box with 2 tin plates the input shaft is slightly to long and bottoms out in the end of the crank, the second plate gives you the 2mm needed. Also you need the FJ clutch plate and HZJ clutch cover. Also you will need to get the charging system modified from external regulater to internal reg, I think I paid about $70 to get this done.

Steve
FollowupID: 425157

Follow Up By: ronahl - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:25

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:25
Thanks heaps Steve.
The 1HZ certainly looks good. Only drawbacks I can see are initial cost of motor and premium price of diesel fuel. On the positive side I guess would be not having to buy a kit or new gearbox.

Can anyone else suggest anything else?

Availability of fuel. ie ULP, won't worry me as I rarely go on trips to very isolated areas.

I must admit the 1HZ looks the goods so far.

Thanks heaps Steve. I'm pleasantly surprised by the quick response as this is my first post. I hope eventually to return the favour.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 425203

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 01:10

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 01:10
Not much you can do with the 3F, as you know, but I did know a guy who put in a 253 holden donk, and he said fuel economy was up a fair bit (but he drives like my mum) , but I don't recon it would be as good as the 1HZ motor.

The down side with the diesel donk is servicing every 5,000 k (more expensive oil plus filter) plus extra cost of fuel and expensive fuel filters. If you get a good petrol donk, only change oil every 10,000 k (cheaper oil plus filter) and then sparkies every now and then, should not cost so much.

As for the seats, I once owned an FJ45 with early model commodore seats on modified brackets. Very comfy!!!
AnswerID: 169951

Sponsored Links