Carrying extra diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 14:37
ThreadID: 33378 Views:4315 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Are there other options for carrying extra fuel (say around 50L - 60L)?

Had a look thru the archives for this one and everything seems to point to either jerry's or a long range tank.

The tub of our ute has been fitted with a roller drawer, dual battery and "transit-lock" for the engel. I was thinking of putting a small boat tank in behind the engel. The stuff in the ute is bolted down to 15mm ply base so the tank could be secured to this.

To answer the jerry and long range supporters...
Cannot affort long range tank (wife says so)
Have had too many leakage problems with plastic jerrys and steel are too heavy to lift.

Thanks for your advice...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 15:21

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 15:21
By the time you put fuel into a steel jerry can you wouldn't notice the difference in weight between it and plastic.

Anyhow the boat fuel tank sounds reasonable but might cost nearly as much as a long range tank anyhow by the time you get one of 50 or 60 litres
AnswerID: 169838

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 15:32

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 15:32
I agree that 20 litre steel jerrys are a bit heavy to lift - but 10 litre steel jerrys are not too bad. Trouble is more expensive to carry the same amount of fuel.
AnswerID: 169840

Reply By: Redback - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 15:39

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 15:39
Use the 10l plastic jerries and put them on the roof, we did this for our Simpson crossing, the reason was that so my other half could lift them as she is only small.

One good idea is to only fill them when it's needed leave them empty till you are going somewhere where extra fuel is needed, (ie) Simpson Desert, CSR and so on or where the distance between towns is greater or just less than your tank will allow you to go, always have a safety margin.

Baz.
AnswerID: 169842

Reply By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:05

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:05
I see that this thread is heading the way of my archive search...

Without meaning disrespect to those who offer their valuable advice, I am looking for options APART from jerry cans (of ANY size) or a long range tank.

Apologies if I have offended anyone...
AnswerID: 169845

Reply By: Exploder - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:19

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:19
20gallion drum and hose.
AnswerID: 169846

Reply By: Member - ROTORD - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:35

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:35
fuel tank from the wreckers , could be plumbed into the ute .
AnswerID: 169848

Follow Up By: murray murray - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:50

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 16:50
I have a friend with a dual cab who built a frame and installed a tank from the wreckers. He filled it through the window of the canopy. He sold it with the tank still in place and it went through the roadworthy, so I assume it was legal. I thought it took up a lot of room as the tank was shaped for the car it came from and was not square. But it came with its own pump and he could top up the main tank with the flick of a switch, so there are bonuses.

Paul
FollowupID: 425193

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:12

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 17:12
M&M, Cheapest option is to stand a 50 litre oil drum (free) up the back of the ute & secure with a ratchet tie down.($10) After you've crossed the desert etc you can toss it in the nearest tip if you don't want to carry it any more. To transfer the fuel run a hose from the bottom of the drum up through the lid with enough length to reach the fuel filler. Fit a tubless air stem into the drum lid as well & seal up. Running a few psi from the air compressor into the drum will transfer all the fuel in less than 5 minutes with no need to lift jerries etc.
People have been doing a similar thing with boat fuel tanks running the boats fuel line into the car tank & siphoning (normally off the roof rack) to save any lifting. If the hard boat tanks are difficult to pack then try a boat fuel bladder. Available in many shapes & sizes but a little more costly.
Some carry a 2nd fuel tank (available from the wreckers). Buy one to suit the space you have but another Hilux tank would give around 65 litres & a air/fuel transfer system could easily be fitted.
If space is difficult in the back of the ute another option is to put a few jerries up on the roof rack only filling when needed & putting back into your main tank asap minimising the weight up high.
Your wife is right, long range tanks for most people are a waste of money & far cheaper to carry a couple of jerries or drums for the few days the additional fuel range is required.
If you have had problems with plastic jerry's leaking in the past then get the black Rheem ones. Properly padded & tied down they are never an issue.
As I'm doing a remote trip later in the year I'm using a combination of 145 litres in the tank, 2 x 50 litre fuel drums, a 50 litre water bladder & 150 litres of fuel or water in jerrys, most to be stored on false floor where the back seat was.
Cheers Craig...........
HZJ105 Vic.
AnswerID: 169851

Follow Up By: conman - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:09

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:09
Craig,
wouldn't fuel vapor go back into the compressor?
This might be a problem, maybe?
FollowupID: 425219

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L- Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:22

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:22
conman,
You do not have the same fuel vapor with diesel like you do with petrol. Also your tube less tyre valvue is the same as on your rims, with one way valvue. The moment that you remove your air compressor hose, the valvue seals the air in the drum.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 425226

Reply By: conman - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:34

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:34
Hi Michael,

try opposite lock. they have plastic tanks that fit against the front wall of the ute bed (if that makes sense). Don't know what they're worth, but i think they are 50 or 60 litres, and not too deep. you can check their web site.
AnswerID: 169870

Reply By: kev.h - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 20:24

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 20:24
If you go with a secondhand tank from the wreckers go for a light truck tank usually around 80 lts, square and have a mounting frame you can bolt into the ute
Regards Kev
AnswerID: 169893

Reply By: desray - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 20:42

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 20:42
The Nissan Patrol 90 litre fuel tank fit real good where the spare wheel is, just need another spot for the wheel.You can get the tanks free from most Gas /LPG places that have just fitted gas tanks to the patrol.I just used a electric pump to pump the fuel from the nissan tank to the original tank when it got a bit low.
AnswerID: 169903

Reply By: DamoHJ61 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 20:46

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 20:46
Hi M&M, a little while back a mate fitted a second factory tank to his dual cab, he purchased it from a wreckers, there was provision for it on the other side of the tray/cabin. The other bonus was that the filler for the tank faced the same way as the original and he plumbed it up so that there were dual fillers under the flap.
AnswerID: 169905

Reply By: hoyks - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 22:47

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 22:47
How much room do you have under the floor?

Here is another option:
" Toyota Hilux custom built fuel tank

This is in good order. This tank is a secondary tank and is about the same size as the normal tank- thus doubling ur capacity. It sits on the passenger side underbody- directly across from the regular tank. This auction also includes the custom fuel filler which was created for the vehicle.

Removed from an 86 SR5 Hilux - many other parts available."
Currently going for $99

Site Link

AnswerID: 169937

Reply By: Robin - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 10:03

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 10:03
Hi M&M

Not sure of you exact need there , but first Supercheap
have a great plastic jerries at $19, and some not so good ones.
The good ones have a single large yellow top (petrol)
hold 22min lt and weigh 2kg not 4 of a steel unit.

If you were looking for space limited temporay diesel storage
capacity buy some 10lt water casks ($4.99)- and empty out the water,
or drink it at start of trip.
Plastic end comes off to refill.
The water cast bags have a very strong bladder - stronger than
5lt wine cask bags.

When cask bag is back in cardboard box they can and
are designed to be stacked on top of each other.
When finnished the box can be used to start a fire and
internal bag takes up no room when folded up for
use again.

Question - does anyone know if sell 10lt water casks at
Birdsville, as we will up their soon ?

Robin Miller.
AnswerID: 169985

Sponsored Links