alt amps

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 18:05
ThreadID: 33384 Views:1517 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
also on the troopy alt amps, depending how much its pumps out at the moment, is it worth fitting a bigger amp alt.
the only reason im asking is that im just about to fit twin batterys to the camper and want to work out if the alt will keep up with topping up the batterys when towing.

also is there any other advantages/disadvantages in putting a bigger amp alt in to my troopy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:16

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:16
78 series troopie has a 110amp alternator. It will keep up with your batteries. Your main issue will be using thick enough cable to keep the voltage drop respectable of such a large distance to the campers batteries.
AnswerID: 169914

Follow Up By: lost - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:34

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:34
so to stop voltage drop what size cable am i better off using/
also every one talks about agm batterys, what is the make of these batterys is there.
and what sort of money will it cost me for say 120amp batterys.
FollowupID: 425489

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 23:15

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 23:15
The batteries when discharged will want to draw up to 30 amps each. I reckon an 8-gauge cable would be barely adequate. 4-gauge cable would be adequate. Its the thick stuff thats about as thick as your battery's starting cable.

Need to run the cable carefully so its not as risk of shorting out on metal - I personally would have it encased in split conduit to be sure.

You'll need short circuit protection - best way would be to have a fairly thick fusible link at the car battery and at the first C/T battery.

You'll need a 175amp Anderson Plug at the towbar connection.
You'll need some sort of isolator like a Rotronics, Pirana, etc etc
You'll need a very good earth lead going to a substantially good connection on the vehicle's body or ideally both the body and back to the starting battery.

I know a lot of people will not do it quite this way, but if you want to have a good system I suggest the above.

Other people (particularly if they only have a single battery in the CT) will get by with thinner 8Ga cable, simple 40amp circuit breakers at each battery, and 50amp anderson connectors, but it may take longer for batteries to recharge.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 425506

Sponsored Links