Coromal Magnum 420 value

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 21:47
ThreadID: 33393 Views:12121 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at a Coromal Magnum 420 camper trailer manufactured in 2001. The camper seems to be in excellent condition and the price has not been set yet.
Could someone please let me know are there any common problems with this camper and what sort of price would be fair.Are all magnum 420 campers the offroad types.

Thankyou for your help , Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 09:05

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 09:05
Hello i have that exact van it was about 30 months old and as new hardly used original tyres etc.we paid $14200,
only problem has been the cable wind up mechanism failed,the steel cable travels over nylon pulleys and the steel cable cuts the pulleys result cant raise the roof.replaced the nylon pulleys with steel no more problem cost $500.
Earth wires under the van very thin prone to breaking ,if water pump stops working check the earth first,also on mine the water pump under the van was not supported this results in cracks in the pump body easily fixed.
All magnums are not offroad types the offroads have a VERY heavy chassis the van wieghs approx 1100kg
Brakes cannot get the electric brakes to work consistantly,constant maintainance
Have travelled south aust qld vicnsw fraser island tows well waterproof,comfortable and reliable,also the fridge is great.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 169971

Follow Up By: Mark11 - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:24

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:24
Thankyou Brian.
FollowupID: 425480

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:11

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:11
Hi Mark - we have a 1999 Magnum 420. Brilliant. Offroad version.
Towed it to Fraser Island; Double Island Point; out west to Eromanga, and lots of places in between. Always offroad locations.
Only problem ever was two clips that hold the door up needed epoxy.
The door is in 2 pieces. When packed, the top half is held in place by clips.
The clips that hold the middle strap were screwed into the ply of the roof - needed epoxy glue. Given where we go, that is not unreasonable.
We paid $17,000 in Brisbane 2 years ago. It is fully optioned up with annex, deep cycle battery, charger, hot water system, marine pump; dual water tanks; dual 9kg gas tanks etc.
Had to fit an Anderson plug and heavy wiring to charge the camper battery from the car when towing.
Ours is a bit heavy on the drawbar. Not sure of the weight, but the Patrol drops about 3" when we hook up. You may need to check what ball weight your vehicle is rated at. This is the down weight on the ball, not the towing weight.
Extra weight on the ball means they are stable in all conditions, but check that your vehicle is rated to handle it. (You may need to ask Coromal for the ball down weight - email LukeC@Coromal.com.au )
regards.....................Keith
AnswerID: 170101

Follow Up By: brian - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:02

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:02
Keith,could i ask where the second water tank is fitted as mine only has one under rear in middle,do you have two tanks the same and do you have two filler points??????????? mine also doesnt have the hot water system can you describe it ???????????
FollowupID: 425475

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:26

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:26
Hi Brian - yes the 2 tanks are identical. The second is fitted behind the 'axle'.
There is only 1filler, with a 'Y' connecting the 2 pipes into one near the filler.
The two tanks are also connected together by normal garden hose - as follows:
The base of each tank has 2 outlet holes. If only 1 tank is fitted, a hose goes from one outlet to the pump. The other outlet has a drain plug in it.
With 2 tanks, the drain plug is replaced by a connecting hose which goes to the second tank. The drain plug then goes in the 2nd outlet of the 2nd tank.

The hot water system is brilliant. Runs on gas or 240V.
The brand of ours is Carver - model Australian Cascade 2 plus.
All the user sees is a small plate with two buttons (one for on, one for off) and a green led light. Thats it. No gas lighter or switch or anything.
It connects to the battery. When you turn the hot water tap on, out comes hot water. ( The clicking sound when the hot tap is on, would suggest a pizo electric lighter is triggered into the gas by a flow switch in the water line).
The hot water is also connected to the built in shower, but even with a water saver head it can use the water supply up. Since it _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx your drinking water, we have bought a 12V shower, and fill cold water from river/creek/tank etc, and only add a kettle of hot water to warm it up. This works well.

All this comes fitted standard from the factory. I would hate to see the price of a new model with these options................Regards............Keith
FollowupID: 425482

Follow Up By: Mark11 - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:26

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:26
Thankyou Keith. I have a prado that the tow bar is rated at 120kgs.
FollowupID: 425483

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 22:28

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 22:28
Mark - with only 120kg ball capacity, I strongly suspect the magnum will exceed this. Email them and check.
The down weight for vehicles can be somewhat variable.
With the Patrol unloaded, it is rated at 350kgs downweight capacity.
When the back of the Patrol is loaded, this drops to 250 kgs.
Most sources quote the lower figure.
You may find the Prado is similar. It may pay to make further enquiries.
...............Keith.
AnswerID: 170138

Sponsored Links