The Simpson is a challenge at the moment

Submitted: Monday, May 01, 2006 at 19:55
ThreadID: 33424 Views:2557 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We returned last week from a 3 week tour thru Birdsville, Mt Dare, Chambers Pillar, Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs and the Plenty Highway. We went with a new tag-along tour operator as an inaugrual tour to iron out the bumps. As one of the first groups heading out from east to west, our 2 day crossing swiftly turned into 4 days of snatching, winching, rolled tyres and one abandoned Nissan.

What a brilliant place! Despite the challenge of soft dunes because of the winds during summer, losing jerry cans of the back of trucks and running out of fuel at Dalhousie Springs, we still could not believe the beauty of the desert. As far as we know the Nissan is still at Birdsville either being fixed or waiting for the floods to go down.

I was pleased to find that the Simpson is still a challenge and not just a walk in the park. Our Prado lived up to expectation!

Mas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:20

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:20
Sounds like a real 4wd challenge.Glad the Prado did well but please tell more about the Nissan!!!
AnswerID: 170105

Follow Up By: mas - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:52

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:52
It was 22 years ol-,fuel issues/ dirty tank were the problem.The guys rigged up a direct feed from a jerry on the roof rack but this system was using 20l per 7 km and using too much diesel to get everyone to Mt Dare. After much discussion it and several phone calls it was organized to recover it from Bridville.

The recovery truck could not return back the way it had come as the dunes were too blown out and had to continue forward via rig road, and back to Bridville via the inside track.
FollowupID: 425473

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:59

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 20:59
Mas,

Sounds like a lot of fun. Who is the new tag-along operator ?

Regards
AnswerID: 170112

Follow Up By: mas - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 08:25

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 08:25
They are called Wannago. Based in Brisbane. Two great guys run it Mike and John and they are planning to turn it into a full time profession. John has spent several years out west and loves the outback. Details are phone 0414 490657 or www.wannago.com.au
FollowupID: 425523

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 17:07

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 17:07
Thanks Mas. Looks interesting. SWMBO definitely loves the 'Fully Catered' bit LOLOL

Regards
FollowupID: 425607

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:30

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 21:30
The Nissan owner arrived on the plane this afternoon and is having a nice campfire down in the powered sites with his son whilst waiting for the other son and the truck to arrive. Theo towed the Nissan over here for them this afternoon. They expect the truck to arrive tomorrow.
AnswerID: 170127

Follow Up By: mas - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 08:15

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 08:15
Good to know Colin is ok at the "old girl " will be back on the will be back on the road.

Thanks Ruth
FollowupID: 425522

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Monday, May 01, 2006 at 23:16

Monday, May 01, 2006 at 23:16
sounds like the trip I have been thinking about needs to be sooner rather than later!
AnswerID: 170145

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 06:07

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 06:07
We head off for our Simpson trip, west to east, on Thursday. This post makes me want to say stuff the last day's work, lets go now!
Sounds like we might be on the detour at Eyre Creek by the time we get there, probably about Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Walkers Crossing down to Innamincka is also on the plan, but I suspect the water coming down the Cooper at the moment may mean it is closed and we go via Cordillo Downs. We'll sort that out in Birdsville.
Ruth, you posted a week ago about bugs in Dalhousie Springs making a meal of any swimmers. Any further travellers reported the same problem, or could we possibly be so lucky that it was just a "24 hour bug" type of thing? If they are still biting, we've pretty well decided to forego the swim rather than risk making the rest of the trip miserable.
After reading your helpful adfvice so regularly Ruth, look forward to saying G'day when we hit your town.
Cheers
FollowupID: 425518

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L- Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 13:12

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 13:12
tuck 01
When you are at Dalhousie, make sure you go for a swim. You cann't go all that way without trying out that famous Dalhousie water, just like having a very warm bath. We are out that way again next week. Go to your local chemist and take some Xergic 180 and some Paraderm Plus. Both of these will help if you do have trouble with any bites.
The first tablets are for rapid relief for itchey skin rash and the second is a very good first aid cream for cuts, bites, stings, itches, sunburn and minor burns.

Enjoy your Simpson trip, you will want to go back again, again, again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 425568

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:04

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:04
Eyre Creek - you won't have to do the detour - the water hasn't even made Muncoonie Lakes (way up north yet) so don't panic about that.
As for Walkers Crossing - the approximate, and I stress approximate date for arrival of water at Innamincka is, 10th May.
Not sure where the Diamantina River water is either which will cut Goyders Lagoon (inside track) and probably Warburton Crossing at southern part of K1.
Yes lice still biting in Dalhousie Springs - depends how allergic you are really.
Have a good trip and see you when you get to this side.
FollowupID: 425684

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:05

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:05
The truck still hasn't turned up yet tonight - they spent all day tinkering with the Nissan and are having another campfire tonight.
AnswerID: 170297

Sponsored Links