Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 17:32
ThreadID: 3345 Views:1198 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Do any insurance companies offer vehicle recovery from outback areas in the event of mechanical failure?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:42

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 19:42 is what all the clubs recommend.
So check the site, and read the terms.

But they are changing their policies at the moment. So maybe call them to be sure.
AnswerID: 12984

Reply By: Andy - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 06:30

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 06:30

The issue of vehicle recovery in the event of mechanical failure is really one of weight. We have moved from towing our van with a 100 Series Landcruiser to a Ford F250 & when we started to ask questions about towing the answers were not encouraging. As we live in Qld the easiest way to go, or so it seemed at the time, was just to change nominated vehicles. Not so easy as the RACQ paperwork has a registered GVM limit of 4000kg. I spent quite a bit of time on the web & when you read the fine print many of us have been living under the illusion that we were covered, for towing et al, anywhere. Not so. The RACQ will tow a vehicle up to 2500kg, between 2500kg & 4000kg towing MAY be provided depending on the contractor's tow truck. Over 4000kg they (the RACQ) will use their best offices to find a towing contractor but at your expense.

Looking at the NRMA web info their limit appears to be 2000kg.

What it the issues seems to boil down to is that the devil is in the contract detail & that all of the "sundry" Roadside Assistance Insurers use the same towing contractors & have similar weight limits.

In the end we stayed with the RACQ so that we at least get roadside assistance & help, if we ever need same, in finding a towing contractor.

I would be very interested in other Forum Members comments.

AnswerID: 13005

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:39

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:39
The simple answer is no. Most won't even recover you off a beach in the event of a mechanical problem as that is not what the insurance covers.

However, they may do so if it's accident damage as that is what the insurance is for.

AnswerID: 13015

Reply By: Member - Keith - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:00

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:00
Give Worldcare Assist a call on 07 3360 0300. They may be able to help.
AnswerID: 13019

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)