Sitting Around The Bush Tele

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 15:14
ThreadID: 33459 Views:2270 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Sitting around the bush tele the other night and I was asked out of all the gear that I have in the Troopie what did I use the most. They were a bit shocked with my response.
It was the UHF radio.

It is the first thing to go on when the motor is stared and the last thing to be turn off at night.

I have TX 3400 and a TX 3200 on the over head console both with in easy reach. The 3400 is on scan all the time and program to skip CH16. The 3200 is set on CH16 and is the channel that I use to talk to the vehicles in the convey.

I find that the 3400 on scan has been one of the best things that I have ever done. With the scan I can pick up other vehicles long before I see them. This really helped last week in the Vic High Country. We were going down the Zeka Track and I heard a convey from the Drive For Life charity run that were on there way up the Zeka track. Not wanting to have pass the convey on the track I was able to have smoko in a clearing and let the other convey pass. It turned out to be a good thing as there lead vehicle was a Hummer and it took up all the track.

Later that day a convey was coming down Herne Spur and again was able to wait and pass on a flat area before we started to climb. I would not have known about the other convey if the UHF was not set to scan.

Latter in the trip I scanned another convey coming down Billy Goat Bluff. They were able to wait on the heli pad so we could pass. It just so happen to be the convey that we waited for on the Zeka Track were waiting for us. What comes around goes around.

A single vehicle is impossible to pick up unless they are spotted and by that time it is usually too late. If only they had there UHF on scan they could have picked up the convey heading to wards them.

This system works very well in the mountains where visibility is limited but I will also use the scan when travelling the outback. You just never know what is happening over the next sand dune.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Darren T (VIC) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 16:51

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 16:51
Pretty much the same idea I had in mind when I bought the Uniden UH088sx packaged with the UH064 hand held unit.
Haven`t installed the UHF in the vehicle yet, but my idea is to have the UH088 on scan and use handheld for general vehicle to vehicle chatter in a convoy or group.

Took the handheld with use (its a 2 watt) to the Paddy Joy camping area (near Wheelers Hut creek, sort half way between Dartmouth Dam and Tom Groggin) over the easter break, scepticle it was going to pick anything up as the area is in a bit of a valley. But it suprised me on how far it could pick up a signal, we heard chatter from as far as Mt Gibbo and the main Benabra to Corryong road.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 170251

Follow Up By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 20:35

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 20:35
of course utilise the handheld

learn something new everyday on here

great tip
FollowupID: 425681

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 17:55

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 17:55
Mine is always on scan in the bush, and if there's a questionable bit coming up, blind corner , dune whatever, I let em know I'm around.
Other than that, it provides entertainment par excellence for the single traveller :))
AnswerID: 170261

Sponsored Links