Ford explorer Wheel bearings

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 15:37
ThreadID: 33461 Views:7078 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All'
I am new to this forum thing so please be patient.
For better or worse I own a Ford Explorer and have done so for 5 yrs. It is a 1998 XLT with 136,000Klm on the clock. Overall I am not unhappy it is mostly used to tour and tow a ski boat, go on family camping hols etc.
Recently it has developed a noise in the front end which has been identified as wheel bearing noise. Silly me thought no problem. a couple of hundred dlooars and we will be all fixed. To my horror ford quoted $1100 per side parts only.Apparently the are a none servicable part and the entire hub assembly has to be replaced. This is the same basic set up as the Jeep and new Holden Comodore has, the comodore being a lot cheaper due to being Aus made and quantity.
Surely there is a way arround this, diifernt bearings, having the hubs machined to accept a standard off the shelf bearing.
If anyone has any helpfull ideas or links to US sites which may be helpful I would be most greatful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:02

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 18:02
Yes it is a shock, strange for em to go at 130,000 normally go for longer than that, I am on 140,000k and still going on original wheel bearings.

Don’t get them from Australia you can order them in from a parts supplier in the U.S for a lot cheaper than that if I recall. I well dig up the details and post it up for you.

Ford Australia Rip you on parts’ prices you can get stuff at almost half the price in from U.S somtimes

I will get back to you with the details of that supplier in the U.S in about 30 min, and they are genuine ford parts not aftermarket.

AnswerID: 170266

Follow Up By: Wheel Bearings - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:16

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:16
Thanks to all those with their constructive advice, I think you have avoided an early heart attack.
FollowupID: 425787

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 19:29
www.fastpartsnetwork.com/

652 Nautical way
St. Augustine , FL 32080

$450 U.S + Shipping for the set!!!

1.Go to on-line catalogue

2. Go Body parts catalogue and entry the cars info.
Once it loads>….
Select> Front suspension> Brake components> Hub and bearing

Don’t get confused with the 2WD Explorer components as we have 4WD you need to get the HUB and Bearings complete, 2WD Explorers you can just get the wheel bearings.

The web site is a bit funny sometimes and won’t load.

Another good one is, www.summitracing.com

I don’t think you can get the bearings from them but you can get other stuff, thay are spread across 3 states with 25,000 square foot Retail Store's.

I am getting my New Lower ball-joint’s and upper control arm from them Made by MOOG and are fully grease able.

If you ball joint’s go (This will depend on how much 4Wding it does) don’t let ford tell you that you can’t replace the lowers and you need to buy a whole new lower control arm (That massive triangular piece of metal that the torsion bars go throe that connects to the Cross member). Because you can, it’s a Moog part and costs $25 U.S all you need is a Ball joint Press or a mechanic.

The Uppers you need to buy the upper control arm, also a Moog part but these have replaceable Ball joints.

Another Helpful web page is, www.explorerforum.com/ it has a lot of good information and even a few Australians on it.
AnswerID: 170281

Reply By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:03

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:03
Ho Hum....this rings a bell allright, absolute rip off what ford are doing here.
I have a friend who had an exploder...sorry explorer and he had same problem. He ordered them from USA, but i think his exploder...sorry..explorer drowned in a river before he got to put them on.....I will contact him and see if he wants to sell them to you if you like.
Ange
AnswerID: 170296

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:24

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:24
Yep, If it American, then that’s the best place to find cheep parts for it.

I have all but stoped going to Ford Australia for parts, (Except for the Oil Filter) only go to a dealership if I need the computer scanned to get a code, other than that it’s Coventry’s, REPCO and Auto one, if still not happy have a look at what can be sourced from the U.S and then decide if it's worth it.

My latest perches, was easily $400 cheaper than what I could of got them hear, that’s after paying for shipping which was $110 by air freight, I even rang around locally to see what they thought of the price, both Placers said that’s is very good price for those parts.
FollowupID: 425690

Follow Up By: Wheel Bearings - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:18

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:18
Dear cokeaddict
That would be really appreciated, it might work well for both of us.
FollowupID: 425789

Reply By: Redback - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:02

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 22:02
Ford Express parts $100.50 US each + postage try this FORUM anything you wanna know about Explorers it's in this place, thats what i paid, better than $1135 each from Ford Australia.

Ford Explorer Forum

Baz.
AnswerID: 170312

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:01

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:01
Spot on mate seeing our Dollar is about 75.9c US at the moment on my little widget converter
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 425782

Sponsored Links