Off Road Trailers on the Canning Stock Route

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 335 Views:2570 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
How difficult is it to take an offroad trailer up the Canning and traverse the sand dunes? I would like to hear the opinion of travellers especially those who have successfully taken a trailer on the route. I intend travelling in convoy with another 4 wheel drive vehicle

Thanks
Mal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joy McLauchlan - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00
Glad you asked this Mal seeing I'll be with you dearest. Hope someone else has traversed the dunes with an off road camper trailer too! Awaiting the replies. Joy M

AnswerID: 814

Reply By: Linda - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Mal, The official word on trailers on CSR is as follows "Trailers are allowed on the CSR although not recommended as they can cause more difficulty in travelling on the the track. There are in fact abandonded trailers along the CSR where they have been dropped off because of difficulties with them. The only restriction on trailers comes from the owners /managers of Cunyu station just north of Wiluna through to well 4A. They state that they don't allow trailers to travel through their station property. Drivers with trailers can and do damage to the track and the bush by backing them up into the virgin bush areas to turn them around with no regard for the damage. Any one with a trailer or large vehicle can access the CSR through Granite Peaks station at well 5 or Glenayle station at well 9." Linda - ExplorOz team
AnswerID: 819

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2001 at 00:00
I'll probably do sections of it next year as we live fairly close to the CSR- I've seen a video of the trek and it was common for vehicles to take a few runs at getting over dunes. Needles to say backing a trailer would make it trickier. The Lonely Planet guide to Outback Australia says plenty of people take trailers on the CSR- very few take them on their second visit.
AnswerID: 820

Reply By: Don - Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00
I 'did' the Canning in 1992 in a Pajero - no trailer - have since brought a Cavalier off roader & Nissan Patrol which we go everywhere in , BUT I wouldn't take the camper on the Canning ... would spoil the fun - too much work !Sleep in swags instead ! Have a good trip you lucky buggers .
AnswerID: 824

Reply By: Jim Robinson - Friday, Aug 03, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 03, 2001 at 00:00
Mal

We did it in '99, 2 troopys with 2 Track trailers. At times it was hard going. If the other vehicle is without a trailer and you have a winch the problems are reduced. We and we were 2 vehicles both with trailers had to reverse up and down some dunes a number of times but only resorted to winching about 6-7 times for the entire trip, and when we did it took a lot of cable (probably 60m or more) to get to the nearest tree to pull probably the last 2m, which was all that was required to top the dune. It took longer to pack up everything than do the winching. Once the first car/trailer was over the second, if it didn't make it winched from the first.
We did the trip easy, in somuch as we had no flat tyres, had to replace a slave cylinder kit in 1 vehicle and a battery failure in 1 trailer. We took 14 days from Wiluna to Billiuna, met a lot of good people, had a good time, because we had the trailer we had plenty of ale, (we have 2 x Engels each) and would like do it again in the future.
All it takes with a trailer is your time and being sensible, have a good trip.

Jim
AnswerID: 842

Sponsored Links