power take off winch on a hj47

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 22:44
ThreadID: 3350 Views:2959 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I was wondreing if anyone out there could help me with some information about replacing a Thomas power take off winch shear pin?

I just recently bought the above mentioned vehicle and in my excitement filled haste, forgot to release the handbrake while experimenting with the winch. Ahh the things we do! Lucky it was in the comfort of my driveway and not some boghole in the middle of, well anywhere because I have yet to find a replacement pin.

I looked it up in my original Toyota manual but the winch described in that is of a different design. My winch must be after market.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 07:59

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 07:59
Yes it is after market. The shear pin is located just behind the gear box, you will need a pin punch to nock the old one out (leave it in the glove box, punch that is) as for replacements I found a cotter pin was the best to use, available at most nut and bolt places.

Match up the size with the old one, and get a couple of spares.

Tony
AnswerID: 13009

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:34

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:34
Jim,
Thomas winches are in Brisbane at Coin St Marooka Telephone (07) 38751568. They are really helpful people and make a great Aussie made product.
Mal T.
AnswerID: 13034

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:34

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 13:34
Jim, the shear pin is of a particular shear-off value that will shear off before any overload occurs to the winch and drive line. These are available from Landcruiser Field services in Moe, Victoria, about a dollar each. Two sizes are available depending on the model year. I find that it is easier to loosen off a saddle bearing mount to access the pin which is located through the body of the first cardan joint near the winch end. The copper-coated pin is knocked through with a pin punch. Aligning the holes for the new pin is the tricky part. Later pins have tiny spit pins at each end to allow easier fitment. Breaking the pin is a warning that all is not right with your tackle set up. You need to consider another snatch block or two, to lessen the load and increase the mechanicl advantage in your favour. In the army, two pins and you were out!
AnswerID: 13035

Follow Up By: Jim - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 15:06

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 15:06
I thank you all for your responses and I have a question for desert.

Can you please describe for me what a cardan joint is?

Is it that chain wrapped disc mounted on the winch drive shaft just behind the winch itself?
FollowupID: 7633

Reply By: desert - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:34

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:34
Jim, disregard the comment I made re cardan joint. As you stated you had the "chain wrapped" coupling, that is where the shear pin is located; on the vehicle side of that "chain coupling". I just had a scratch about in the shed and found one with the pin still inserted. But, as I said, you may need to disconnect another bearing saddle back along the drive shafts, so that the shafts will droop more. This will allow you to slide the shaft out of the chain coupling, which will reveal the broken shear pin pieces. Tap them out, install the new pin and remount the bearing saddle and you are done.In future you can "witness mark" the coupling and the shaft so that you know when the holes are aligned to allow you to drive the broken pin through, without having to go to the bother of all of the above.
AnswerID: 13092

Follow Up By: Jim - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 21:11

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 21:11
Hi desert,

Thanks for your consise explanation.

Now all I have to do is ring the telephone number that Mal gave and find the parts distributor for Thomas winches in Adelaide.

Thank you all once again.
FollowupID: 7683

Reply By: rayhart - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 00:00

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 00:00
Hi Jim, the distributor on Melb for these parts is powauto I think it is the sam ein Adelaide. DO NOT replace this part with a cotter pin, I had a rusted up pin and ended up stretching hte chassis 2 inches and busted the main winch shaft. cost 200 buck Oh well, keep the shear pins greased now!!!!
AnswerID: 14333

Sponsored Links