Headwind/Tailwind

Submitted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 17:43
ThreadID: 33531 Views:3990 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me when is the worst/best time of the year to cross the Nullabor from the west in regard to headwind/tailwinds.

Hope that makes sense, but am trying to plan a round Oz trip starting in about 12 months time, my plan was to go in an anti clockwise direction from the east coast so as to be able to chase the sun at that time of the year, then work our way into WA then down to Perth and home via SA, taking about 12/18 months to complete the circuit.

So what I am really asking is what months does the wind traditionally blow to the east from WA, so that I can avoid headwinds and therefor excessive fuel consumption.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: boo boo - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 18:24

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 18:24
cruiser,I asked a mate that has done the trip the same question and he advised that I should travel any time of the year in an anti clockwise direction. Another bloke I know went direct from syd to perth late last year and hit head wind all the way. Crossing the nullabor he got 3.5km to the ltr towing a van with a late model hilux. He bought an F250 the other day, funny that. Enjoy the trip and post a few tips on your return
AnswerID: 170696

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW, 2527) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:05

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:05
Exellent question Cruiser,
Ive been meaning to ask the same thing as we are headed west in August and returning at the begining of October this year. I guess it doesnt really matter as the dates are set but it would still be good to Know.
We will be towing a 17ft Gazal carravan. Just that we tend to get westerly winds around Aug/Sept locally, so I guess I'm answering my own question.

Athol
AnswerID: 170710

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:42

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:42
Time to head across is when there is a blo?dy big high sitting in the bight.
cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 170723

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:44

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:44
Just allow yourself plenty of time; if it is blowing a gale from the West (as it the reputation of the Nullabor although we haven't found it so), stop for a day or two, or just drive slowly and camp early. We have met winds from both directions, but by far the worst was when we heading East in January after we left Wudinna, and straight into a strong south easterly wind. We stopped very early and by next morning the wind had died down. I'm sure on the scale of a whole Oz trip, the additional fuel if you drive into the wind on the Nullarbor would make very little difference.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 170725

Reply By: StephenF10 - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:49

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 19:49
Anticlockwise is best in winter due to the high that normally sits over the continent and clockwise in summer due to the wet season low over NT and the easterlies down south.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 170727

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 01:47

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 01:47
Mate, are you fair dinkum?

As South Oz receives an Easterly most of the time, I guess you could be "blown" across any time you like.

But what happens when you go up the east coast to FNQ. That's all up hill isn't it?

And then you have to get from the East to the West again. Does the "wind" blow in the opposite direction in the top end?

Sorry Cruiser, just my warped sense of humour playing up on night shift tonight/this morning. Just ignore me.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 170826

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 07:40

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 07:40
Travelled to the west in April/May, with not much wind at all, took a month to get to Perth, (lots of side trips).

Another year came back the other way in August and had tail winds all the way from Kal. Quite strong at times.

Mt chioce in the first half of the year go west about.
AnswerID: 170842

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:24

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:24
Thanks everyone for your replys and opinions.

Given the time of the year I will be leaving, anti clockwise is the way to go I think, that way I can chase the sun in winter and will worry about coming east when we are ready, as we dont know when that will be.

That will depend on many things and I suppose that when all is said and done that if you have decided it is time to head towards home, who cares how much it costs.

Thanks
AnswerID: 170985

Reply By: Warrie - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:58

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:58
Another 2 bobs worth.We did the top end and WA anticlockwise in Aug/Sept 05. Nice tailwinds up the centre but locals warned of the nasty headwinds if you go east acroos the Barkly. Back in April 99 had a Tarago towing a Jayco Swan. Going west from Erldunda to the Rock we were blown along and could do 120kmh. But coming back into it sometimes it was a strain to do 85.
Another surprise is the strong SW from Exmouth down to Geraldton. Staying at Denham we got a spot sheltered by some trees. When we left another couple moved straight in as their spot was too windy!!
It takes so long to cross Oz either Heading E or W that you're bound to get headwinds. Maybe they'll die out when you camp overnight as a previous post mentioned. Early Aug last year and we were heading into a shocker between Wilcannia and Broken Hill. My LPG only gave 175km for 50 litres - same van but towed by a Pathfinder. with a good tailwind the same gas gives 210km. From Perth to Esperance in Oct 05 had great tailwinds for the days journey of 715km. The trees were bending over revealing interesting colours. But two days later from Eucla to Yalata we ran into a SE headswind. Overnight it died and next day heading into Ceduna it was a NW tailwind. Whatever happens take it easy and enjoy it. Cheers Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 171427

Sponsored Links