Running riot to stop soon.

Submitted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:08
ThreadID: 33552 Views:2416 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A friend emailed to say Footy, you've been running riot on Exploreoz ! Sadly that's true. When you're stuck at home most days it's tempting to become a virtual identity.
But I was suddenly struck by the realization that I only have around 8 weeks before I'm off again. Now that's a long time, right ? Wrong.
This year I'm having a new clutch, radiator etc before venturing off into the great unknown. The satphone has to be connected, mods to the mapping setup etc etc etc
Will I have enough spares and water ? What about food ? (things are different for the solo traveller..too tired to cook after driving 10 hours and setting up camp). And where does it all go ? Packing and repacking etc.
What are my emergency plans? All up to date ? What if it rains, can I sleep in the car in a pinch, or have I packed too much.
What about the route, do I have the latest info on the weather? Have I rung and asked if there's any doubt about road conditions? Will I have to monitor web sites at the last minute ?
Now most people will have a bit of a hand from SWMBO (lets be honest, they do most of the important stuff like making sure that you take pillows...I spent one trip with my jacket as a pillow..never again)
But the solo traveller doesn't get a helping hand. My wife is busy working, and cant get time to come along. For example, I asked her to think about what sort of food shortcuts she knew about (I have a strange stomach and food tastes)
"Why don't you just take that canned rubbish that you usually eat !" argggh !!!
No wonder when we finally get on the road (thats around 2-3am for me, first days a long one) that we feel excited. Or is it just that we can finally relax from all the preparation.
Wait a minute. I didn't used to prepare and worry this much when I had the whole family along ?
The penny drops. They used to do most of the non vehicle preparation, the cooking, navigation etc. There were times back then when I wished that I was travelling on my own.
Be careful of what you wish for ...........
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:40

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:40
Don't worry Footy you're bound to leave something at home that you could do with but think about all that junk you have on board that wont get used lol...... but that doesn't mean you can't have a great trip. Just do your best and get out there, have a good trip and report back safe and well.
AnswerID: 170809

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:48

Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 23:48
Thanks, MD.
I'll be easy to see in the bush, I'll be the ruuuly slow old guy that's talking to himself :))))
FollowupID: 426233

Follow Up By: BLUEBAG53 - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 07:11

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 07:11
Hey Mad Dog, nice photograph of the rellies in your beaut ute!
Happy Days
FollowupID: 426511

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 08:29

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 08:29
Yeah, that's the boys going on a hunting trip.
FollowupID: 426525

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 08:22

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 08:22
It is handy to have a wife that prints out then ticks off the checklist. I just have to worry about the vehicle and accomodation (tent, stove, shower etc) while she does all the menu planning anfd food packing.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 170849

Sponsored Links