Free camps on stuart hwy

Submitted: Friday, May 05, 2006 at 10:03
ThreadID: 33560 Views:5458 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me a clue to any good free camping spots up the Stuart Hwy from Threeways
CHEERS PAYNIE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Arkay - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 13:17

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 13:17
We stayed at a little caravan park (not free) beside the Highway at Dunmurra Roadhouse before travelling West along the Buchanan Highway (for highway read track) to the Kimberleys and the hard stuff. This caravan park looked O.K. as the Roadhouse closed at midnight. What we didnt realise was that after midnight the roadtrains pulled in for a free sleep beside the caravan park fence, leaving their freezer airconditioners running full bore. Don't know how the the drivers slept, but we didn't. Moral of the story, make sure you are well off the Stuart Highway if you free camp.
Also as (because) you are going UP the Stuart Hwy from Threeways this probably won't help you, but it may help others who look up this thread..... Transport SA produce an excellent booklet called "Your Guide to Roadside Rest Areas In South Australia". The booklet covers all major highways into ou of & around S.A. and shows Rest Areas, Tables , those with toilets, water, Trucks only stops, distances etc. It is available I know from all Motor Registration Offices but for interstaters try SA Transport Call Centre Ph. 13-10-84. It is also available in PDF format from www dot transport dot sa dot gov dot au and follow the prompts (I put it that way so you can see the address) For automatic link see www.transport.sa.gov.au
AnswerID: 170916

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:25

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 16:25
I don't know where Threeways is - but from Arkays reply it must be in SA. We didn't go along the Stuart Highway for long, and just pulled off it a little way when it got dark. Trucks didn't really worry us, except we had pulled off near a grid, so got added noise when the trucks rattled over it (that has happened before too). When travelling in SA we relied on Camps Australia Wide 3, purchased from ExplorOz, if we couldn't find somewhere nice ourselves. I did notice that listed campsites were often in very noisy locations (like near roadhouse/hotels). I also purchased from ExOz Priceless Camps and Rest Areas in NT, but we didn't get to NT to use it this trip.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 170972

Sponsored Links