HF Out Post Non Assigned Licence

Submitted: Friday, May 05, 2006 at 12:15
ThreadID: 33570 Views:3061 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one got an HF Out Post Licence and if so what Forms do you need to apply for one, I looked up the Licensing web site, found one form but it looks to simple to fill in for a Government Department so there must be more forms involved?.................ps.... yes I have a HF Radio and yes I am a member of VKS 737
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 12:23

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 12:23

Application for Apparatus Licence I belive is the one (long time since I did mine just pay the renewal). Just tick the oupost box agree to the conditions etc. Pay your money and your licence will appear in the mail.

Shhhhh.....dont mention its a simple form.....they will change it:-)


AnswerID: 170903

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:28

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 14:28
The Outpost Radio service was designed to allow farmers in remote areas to get radio comms - I assume the national Party made sure it was cheap, easy to fill in and users had to pass no test whatsoever.

People who live and work on boats are also dependant on radios - they can't just wait for someone to help them - yet to get an HF Licence requires serious study and testing !!!!

AnswerID: 170939

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:17

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:17
Do you still need to do all that for boating?

I got my 3rd class radio operators certificate in radio telephony when I was 17, I assumed there was no such thing now.
FollowupID: 426354

Reply By: Steve63 - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:57

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 15:57
You want an apparatus licence for outpost use, you can download the form. I think you can also fill it out online now.

Go to ACMA at this site for the details. Basically fill out the form and send money. I just did my renewal and I think it was $36 (or might have been $46, around there anyway), I'm sure a new licence is a bit more. It is not required unless you want to connect to RFDS directly. You can be patched from the VKS network to medical assistance if required. It is a very simple form, and there new site is much easier to get around. I keep mine out of habit and sometimes it is just easier to go straight to RFDS. I assume you already have the map with the RFDS centres and frequecies.

AnswerID: 170963

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:24

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 17:24
Cobber, if you are a member of VKS737 you 'no longer require a radio licence. It would be worth your while to enquire with VKS737. I think there are some restrictions regarding the use of the HF radio but these should not be of any concern to most travellers
AnswerID: 170984

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, May 05, 2006 at 21:57

Friday, May 05, 2006 at 21:57
Not quite true.

Paying your membership with VKS737 includes licensing fees and you are subject to their license conditions for their frequencies.

FollowupID: 426469

Sponsored Links