Fraser Island: Best Camping for Self Contained Camping & Cooloola NP

Submitted: Friday, May 05, 2006 at 23:02
ThreadID: 33594 Views:2762 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all - I've read some of the previous posts on this topic, but interested on the latest thoughts.

Going up to Fraser in the Sept school hollies this year. Two big 4wd's towing offroad campers. We are self contained with porta potties and hot showers, so are not restricted to the major camping areas. Stayed at Dunduburra a few years ago which was good although prob a little too far north, to be in the best location for all attractions.

Now that we are self contained, can you suggest recommended camping spots with easy access to all of what Fraser has to offer. Only planning to stay about days on the island and 4 days at Cooloola NP. Any suggestion on locations at Cooloola??
regards
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lazybugger - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 07:47

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 07:47
Hi Neetas,

Your post didn't have the number of days you are staying at Fraser (typo :) ). But I would wonder suggest giving the nights at Cooloola the flick. There is not much in Cooloola that isn't bettered on Fraser. The Lakes are better, The tracks more interesting, more wildlife, a lot less people camping next to you if your camping on the beach. The only downside is I wouldn't swim in the surf at Fraser in September, too many sharks, but you could probably say the same for Cooloola.

In terms of camping options you have to ask yourself one question. Do I like fishing? You are going to Fraser in the middle of tailor season. If you like fishing then no question about it you want to be north of Eli Creek. I stayed at Dundubbera last year and all the fishing was between there and Cathedrals at dawn and dusk. It is quite an experience to fish with 100 other guys at a time and look down and see just about everyone having there rods bent at the same time.

South of Eli creek you have the best lakes plus central station. If you are camping north of the island you can check these out in one easy day trip. Two trips if you want to explore some of the less popular lakes. But I find Lake McKenzie plus central station will keep most people happy.

I would suggest you stay just south of Cathedrals. Its right where the fishing is for an early morning fish or fish at dusk. Plus its halfway between the lakes to the south and Champagne pools to the north.

One other place I suggest you check out is the western side. Try Woralie creek, its track starts about 2km north of the maheno and takes you through some great rainforrest.

Remember everything you do on Fraser is governed by the tides. You want to get on the island at Low tide and off at low tide. If you need to cross Eli Creek, Low tide again, so for that day trip look for an early morning low with a midday high.

Best of luck with your trip.

Cheers

Lazybugger
AnswerID: 171090

Follow Up By: Neetas - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 20:15

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 20:15
Hi, thanks for your reply. The plan was for 4 days on the mainland and 4 days on Fraser. We are not there for the fishing but for the 4 wheeling, relaxing and experiencing the beauty of the place.
I thought somewhere on the west side away from the mangroves would be good for somewhere a bit quieter. One thing I read, was they don't alloy more than one campervan/trailer at the camping sites. Not great when you're travelling with 2 campers. Do you know anything about this?? The other disadvantage is that the only fires are permitted at Dundaburra & Waddy Point.
regards
Mike
FollowupID: 426650

Follow Up By: Lazybugger - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 21:31

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 21:31
Its only the campgrounds (dunduberra & waddy pt) that would have the 1 trailer limit per site. You could book 2 sites in the hope of getting them together but at that time of year i'd find it unlikely. Along the beach or on the western side you could grp em anywhere together.

I haven't camped the western side, I just nip over there for a day trip. Probably Wathumba Crk is the most popular spot for camping on the western side. You could try Woralie Crk and would probably have it almost to yourself.

There may be a better spot on the western side I haven't mentioned, I haven't explored it fully.

Its important to remember there are no rubbish facilities on the western side. Everything has to come back with you.

Cheers

Lazy
FollowupID: 426668

Follow Up By: Neetas - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:27

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:27
Doh! I thought one camper per site meant only 1 camper allowed in each campground. Well, one per site certainly makes more sense. Thanks for the info.
Mike
FollowupID: 426676

Reply By: Jo and Mark - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 11:20

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 11:20
Hi there.. well I'd like to reply with helpful information.. but don't really know any!
We did our first trip to Fraser in January, that is how I found the ExplorOz website, everyone gave me great help and feedback and we were fine and husband did great. Can't say I noticed any campervans there though. But for info that you are specifically after my brain says don't remember, don't know.
But lazybugger probably summed it all up for you.!
Have great trip and as everyone told me... keep the shiny side up!
Jo
AnswerID: 171115

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 14:03

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 14:03
What lazy bugger said is true.
I would look at the camping ground at Cathedral Beach. We just got back and stayed at Dundubara. Not bad but the new ammentities (spelling???) block still isn't finished after 2 years so in school hols it is a mad house with only 3 showers. When all the backpackers come off the beach and take over the showers its worse. For the extra few dollars a night I will stay at Cathedral Beach camping area. Great facilities and nice people to deal with. Right near the beach but sheltered if its windy and right near the fishing. Its only about 15 minutes drive at low tide to Eli Creek and about 30 minutes to Champagne Pools (great spot we spent a couple of days there with the kids but take rock shoes as my oldest cut his foot open a purler).
Everywhere seemed to be packed but at Cathedral Beach it was great.
It is also privately owned , not taken over by Kingfisher Bay so support the locals.
When you take the barge across don't pre pay the tickets. You can pay on board and take the green and yellow ones, not the white fraser explorer ones as these are owned by Kingfisher Bay. The green and yellow ones are locals.

We had a great time and can't wait to get back and we will definetely go to Cathedral Beach. The sand is washed out a bit at the moment but should be fine by September. We went across on the barge about 2 hours after high tide and drove straight up the beach with out any probs. Eli Creek was easy all over easter but can change quickly.

Have a great time.
Hope this has helped.
120scruiser
AnswerID: 171135

Reply By: Disco Duck - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 17:43

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 17:43
Lazybugger is almost spot on except the fishing does not stop Dunduburra .I have been to Fraser on many fishing trips and have found it better at Indian Head and north of. Waddy Point is another camping spot worth considering.We are going up to Fraser in Octobrer for a weeks fishing.

Mike
AnswerID: 171167

Reply By: Platz - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:47

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 19:47
Hi Mike,
We pulled a camper trailer to Fraser in 2003. Found a great spot behind the dunes about 1klm sth of Elli Creek. We were self sufficient and had a blast. Had clumps of bushes in front of us for protection from winds. Unfortunately can't give you Gps location, but hope this helps
Cheers
Brad
AnswerID: 171184

Reply By: Member - Robyn J (QLD) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:48

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:48
Being Sept school holidays would base most of the trip on Frazer have been there nearly every year except of one or two for last 18 years usually June or September school holidays. Cooloola is always crowded in school holidays and long weekends. When you go to Frazer you have to pay for the barge,camping and vehicle permit which makes a lot of peple stay at Cooloola where all they have to pay is camping permit. My feeling has always been Frazer is a minimum weeks stay so it does not matter where you stay you can travel from base to all parts of the island. We always camp about 11-15ks north of Dundaburra but we do go for the fishing and just sitting on the dunes looking out for whales during both of these times. Just a pity now we cant have our small open fires.
Enjoy the island
Cheers
Jenkie
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 171221

Reply By: chappobriz - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 07:51

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 07:51
Sounds like everyone is talking about the beach side of Cooloola. There is great camping at Lake Cootharaba and also up the Noosa River at places like Harry's HUt. DOn't dismiss this side of Cooloola.
Chappo
AnswerID: 171241

Sponsored Links