Winch/Vehicle Vandalism

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 336 Views:2240 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard a story of vandals attaching the cable of a bull bar mounted winch to the vehicle's rear roof gutter & using a paper clip to operate the winch & effectively wrench the roof off.
Is this just an urban myth or has anyone experienced this problem? If so, has anyone suggestions of overcoming this problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00
Yes Rob, some mindless crettins do do this to get there kicks, you can overcome this by putting a heavy duty isolator inline on the positive lead that runs from your battery to your winch, you can mount this under your bonnet so the idiots can't get to it, cheers, Dave.
AnswerID: 815

Reply By: Brian F Harris - Saturday, Aug 04, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 04, 2001 at 00:00
Anythings possible Rob..I put a new Ramsey winch on my new Jeep TJ,with this in mind,I put a terminal with a removable,screw-on knob onto positive battery terminal..A rig is alarmed,bonnet can't be opened without siren
going off.To fit xtra terminal,toss batt term bolt & get one twice as long.Use the one long bolt to bolt both terminals'long side each other.Put a zinc plated nut(3/8")as spacer between both..Mine works fine..Rgs BrianHarris.Rocky1
AnswerID: 843

Reply By: Paul Cooke - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00
Rob,
I was informed of this danger through the club and when fitting my warn I moved the control box under the bonnet, you know what they say out of sight out of mind.

Cheers
Paul
AnswerID: 1024

Sponsored Links