dual batteries l/c 80s

Submitted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 14:05
ThreadID: 33606 Views:1573 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
about to put a second batterie in the old girl ....

whats the best place to get the batterie holder from, in S.A... and has anyone got a wirring diagram for doing it...

thanks ..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 15:21

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 15:21
Skinnyg,
This what I did.
I bought a battery tray from Toyota - $150 all up. Depending on your truck being a diesel or petrol 80 series the tray goes on the opposite side. For diesel it goes on the Drivers side and the radiator overflow tank stays where it is. You can buy cheaper battery trays but I was not prepared to get something from ebay site-unseen. The ARB tray was roughly the same price but the orignal I thought provides a better heat shield for the battery so I bought it. No need to drill any holes, they are all there but you have to buy the bolts (8mm from memory but check this). I moved the aux fuse box (black square thing) that comes with the truck from Toyota, to behind the air cleaner, closer to the fire wall.

I bought REDARC battery isolator-$90 and I followed the instruction that came with the Battery Isolator. I put the isolator as close to the cranking battery as I could which turned out to be next to the ABS unit on the passenger side guard. I then followed the wiring instructions which were:

Connect the negative of the auxilliary battery to the negative of the cranking battery;
Connect the positive of the aux battery to the Isolator
Connect the positive of the cranking battery to the other side of the isolator. It was pretty clear in the instructions which went where because even I managed to do it right.

I used REALLY HEAVY copper wire for both the positive cables to the isolator and the negative connections. I also use some heavy lugs to connect the cables to the battery terminals. These cables were soldered and crimped and I also used the heat shrink tubing to insulate the cables as best as I could

I put an 8 fuse fuse box in and ran wires from the aux battery to the fuse box. I also ran 8 wires from the fuse box through the firewall into the interior using wire rated at 30 amps to give me some flexibility with fuse ratings.

I made very sure to shield all wires with the convoluted split conduit stuff and put in line fuses on both positive wires going to the isolator, very close to each battery. I used 60 amp audio fuse holders and fuses for this part of the wiring.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. It all works which is the amazing part.
Thats it. Apart from all the acrobatics I did getting the wires through the firewall the job was relatively straight forward.

tom
AnswerID: 171144

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 21:13

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 21:13
Yeah ..... what Toolman said...All i was gonna say was put it on the drivers side of the radiator .....

Laura B
FollowupID: 426665

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 10:40

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 10:40
Bought the toyota carrier as well, so everything matches. Used a piranha dual battery set-up, with an 8 fuse thingy, as well. Recently modified the fuse block, to take heavier cable, from aux. battery. Haven't had any problems with Engel running off this. Only have one dedicated Merit outlet, in rear of wagon, to run the fridge.

Didn't put in any fuses on the isolator, on the heavy cables. Just routed them where there was no risk of wear, and used plenty of zippy ties, and conduit, in high risk areas. In an accident is about the only place where this might be a problem, and battery cables would be the least of your worries then.

The only place where you need some caution, is when running into the cab, or along the chassis. Treat everywhere as a potential wear, snag, break area, and use plenty of conduit, and zippy's.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 426738

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:39

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 22:39
Hi Skinnyg

Have you tried ebay.

AnswerID: 171219

Follow Up By: skinnyg - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 07:27

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 07:27
yeah saw your adds where is your shop im in sa...
FollowupID: 426712

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 08:53

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 08:53
Click on my logo
FollowupID: 426722

Sponsored Links