Tanami at December or January

Submitted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 01:41
ThreadID: 33628 Views:1609 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day!

How about driving Tanami Track in December or January (4WD)? Is ist possible or should I better forget it?

I've read because of the high use (Roadtrains, other cars,...) there are very good conditions. But how about the wet?

thanks a lot!!!

Brita
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 01:55

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 01:55
G'day Brita,
plan for Dec. rather than Jan. ( or earlier still ) as then you have a better chance to do the track before it actually starts raining.
Of course it's different every year and we don't have a Crystall ball :-)

It may also be pretty lonely out that way during that time.
Take extra fuel, water and a Sat Phone with you.

Don't do it if you have no experience in remote areas if you are planning to do it with just your vehicle.

It will be a long time after the track was last graded and don't count on it being in good condition.

Best of luck,
Mike.
AnswerID: 171239

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 15:07

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 15:07
If there is rain about plan for a different route. When the Tanami floods, it floods !
AnswerID: 171304

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 15:47

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 15:47
Brita,

Unless you're going somewhere for a purpose, Hall's Ck, Broome new job, etc. it would be a pretty ordinary time to go.

Because of heat, glare etc, then photography conditions would be poor, unless you wanted to catch a good photo of the big thunderstorm ahead of you, and a contrasting photo, of the other storm, closing the road behind you.

The constant heat, day & night, can be very debilitating, and drain your energy. Conditions can make it hard on your vehicle too.

Pick a better time, when it's cooler...

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 171310

Sponsored Links