BJ Tmart stores do you think they are any good ?

Submitted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 17:33
ThreadID: 33651 Views:3299 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good day all,

Don't know if this is the right forum or not but wanted to hear other persons experiences with BJ T marts. Last week I searched the web trying to fing out about Lug Centric wheel balancers and who uses them. Went to the BJ web site and the first option for info is to send in an E-mail to the closest branch, tried this asking if they use one in their branch or any other branch and cost etc. After waiting a few days had no reply so decided to e-mail head office in Melbourne, unfortunately no e-mail address on their web site, so gave them a call. The receptionist said maybe I should speak with the Vic state manager which I thought was maybe over the top but what the heck he probably would be the best person. Then she changed her mind and passed me on to the complaints department, I still can't understand why as I hadn't complained, the nice Nikki took the call and gave me her e-mail address to send the query. A couple of hours later I had a reply saying"Thank you for your enquiry. Our Preston T-Mart will be able to complete this for you. Please telephone (03) 9478 6444 to make an appointment.". This I think is poor service and not what I asked, what are your experiences with BJ Tmarts as I now will think twice before ever dealing with them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sparkiepete - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:00

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:00
Those bastards up in Budaberg looked at my car because I had a shaking steering wheel.
They said the steering box was stuffed and wouldn't be able to balance it untill I had the box replaced. $600.00 later and the problem was still there.
They ran a hand over the tire right there and said there was a bubble in my tire and I would need a new tire. Well....I was not happy and refuse to go there ever again!
AnswerID: 171333

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:07

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 18:07
apriti00
what do you mean by Lug Centric wheel balancer
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 171335

Follow Up By: apriti00 - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:37

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:37
Hi Charlie,

There are a few cars that should have the wheels balanced on a lug centric balancer, the rim is fixed to the balancer via the wheel lug holes and not the rim centre as is most common. Toyota is one of the cars that benefit from this type of wheel balance as they do not have a locating centre on the hub as does Nissan.

Cheers
FollowupID: 426810

Reply By: Pavo - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:19

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:19
To answer your question of "BJ Tmart stores do you think they are any good ?" - the ones I have been to were excellent. That's Bankstown and Wollongong. Their prices were the best of the places I rang and they did everything required. There are certainly no vibrations so the balance job is pretty good too. And my tyres seems to be wearing evenly (on two different cars), so their wheel alignments were probably good too. But I didn't ask about lug-centric wheel balancing!

A bit annoying that you got no reply initially, but maybe ringing the store where your email was sent would have been better than emailing head office - your question was pretty specific and technical. Their website does tell you where they were going to send your email enquiry.

Sorry, I know you just wanted to vent your frustration, but I think if people posted info when they got good service aswell as bad is important.
AnswerID: 171352

Follow Up By: apriti00 - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:48

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 19:48
Pavo,
definitely agree with you as there is no better recommendation than word of mouth, I have been involved with the public and know how hard it is to get clients and keep them.
I rang head office with no intention of getting put through to the complaints department I wanted a contact and they would probably be the best to advise, as mentioned at first they were going to have me speak with the State Manager but in their wisdom thought, well I don't know what they thought and put me through to complaints. As you say it is a bit of a technical question and for both their benefit and mine a written reply would have been the best solution, we should keep in mind that they are offering the email service and if I contacted them that way it must be my preferred option.

Thanks anyway for your opinion as that was the main reason for this post.

Cheers
Walter
FollowupID: 426812

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:36

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 20:36
Traralgon is good B Jane... would recommend.
AnswerID: 171385

Follow Up By: cloughie - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 09:28

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 09:28
Karratha in WA was also excellent.4 x BFG A/T for $229 each plus 2 spares the same free from their stockpile of used tyres.
FollowupID: 426884

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:01

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:01
Your experience certainly sounds peculiar when you did not phone to complain, however when it comes to actual work I am more than happy with the Blacktown, Sydney branch.

The wifes shopping trolly use to be an older Toyota Corona passed down from the father-in-law. This car really gave me the tom tits, the steering was that heavy I almost had to brace my left foot in the glove box to wrestle the mongrel around corners. My wife developed massive bicepts, and thats not a pretty site on a five foot nothing woman. I knew there was a problem because I used to have a my own Corona and my dear sweet elderly mother drove the same. Niether of these cars were like my wifes.
This car went to tyre services, it went to service stations, it even went to the Toyota Dealer which should prove to you all just how bad the car was and how desperate I was for a fix. All to no avail.
In to BJ Blacktown for a set of cheapies and out it came feeling like a new car, I almost checked under the bonnet to see if they had fitted power steering, it was that good. I went back in and asked them what they had done to the car, Manager thought I was having a bitch and called up the aligner who said, "all I did was set it to factory specs". Guy was happy when he found I was there to say "Thank's a million".

Now having said all that I do acknowledge that there are horses and there are horses. My experience was obviously somewhat diferent to yours.

Ian
AnswerID: 171398

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:57

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 21:57
BJ T mart here in Browns Plains are fantastic. John runs the shop here near Grand Placa and he can't do enough for you if you buy 1 Tyre or 4.
I think it depends very much on the franchise owner how the shop is run.
I don't even shop around anymore, I know I get the best price here anyway.

cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 171426

Reply By: Kata - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:36

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:36
Hi Apriti00,

Dont no anything about the Lug Centric wheel balancers, but I actaully was at BJ Tmarts Preston on Saturday morning. Rang them up to get some tires fitted to the 4runner and they didnt have them in stock and the went to Ferntree Gully BJTmarts and picked up a set.
I did have to wait around a while but cant complain with the service by no means.
Good price also I thought.
The guy I delt with was John really helpful(while there a guy walked in looking for a nut for a spotlight... so he actually rang a bolt place to see if they were still open)
He was really helpful guy.

Id definitely go back there or even recommend them

I guess you should praise good service and not only complain about the bad

Kata
AnswerID: 171439

Reply By: ch00k555 - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 07:25

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 07:25
We have 2 cars and the 4B in our vehicle inventory and all 3 went to BJ Tmart Nowra for new tyres. I found them to be very informative and helpfull + cheap, highly recommend them.
AnswerID: 171463

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 08:09

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 08:09
Gooday,
Recently went into BJ T Mart at Mitchelton in Bne to get quote for 4 new Goodyears on our Jeep Grand Ltd, After being ignored for a while the bloke answered the phone then eventually found the energy to serve me. Offered me an alternative tyre a lot cheaper but I wanted wranglers to suit the spare that had hardly been used. Drove down the road to Beaurepaires, just about jumped the counter to give service, got the wranglers there, $50-00 a tire cheaper, also offered an insurance for the life of the tyres for another $65-00, had not heard of it B4.
Have to remember that most Bob Janes are franchised therefore owner operated under "BOB's" banner, don't know about "Beau" but that's where the difference comes in. Rember one in Mackay when we lived there going from one of the top tyre shops to almost bust when it changed ownership quite a few years ago.
Cheers, boroma604
AnswerID: 171469

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 08:49

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 08:49
exactly.

"Your mileage may vary" because each franchise is separately run.

In Adelaide, the Pulteney St mob are fine. Many organisations, especially motor trade ones, are not email aware.

It is also not unusual to have technical questions that can't be answered by the "first available operator".

I wouldn't be too worried. If you knew what you wanted, why not make one phone call to Preston and get your questions answered.

Ciao for now
Andrew who remembers that it took Gary Macmillan Toyota at Preston 4 hours to change five tyres - don't go there ;-)
FollowupID: 426872

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Monday, May 08, 2006 at 18:35

Monday, May 08, 2006 at 18:35
The balancing you are talking about most reputable tyre dealers should be using them. They are called finger plates by Hawkea. Have been using them for more than 10 years. Used in conjunction with the cones. Nissan have thier own cone adaptor.
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 171555

Reply By: apriti00 - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 09:14

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 09:14
I'd just like to say thank you to all those who replied, I would say that the general concencous is that the majority is happy, I have now also recieved a reply to my e-mail even though it did not address my e-mail questions, after a phone call to them I have found out that they do have the type of balancer I wanted and will call on to see how good their service is.
Cheers
Walter
AnswerID: 171664

Sponsored Links