Engel Insulation Covers

Submitted: Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 14:22
ThreadID: 3370 Views:6511 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My Brother was searching for a new Engel the other day and was told by a service technician NOT to install the insulated Cover as this is causing severe degadation of fridges externally due to rust from moisture. I have not heard of this previously and couldn't do without my cover personally as it keeps the temp down quite dramatically as well as offering protection to my fridge.
We figure that this fellow must be fairly well informed as he services these things but I am wondering has anyone had this problem or even heard of it previously.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 14:38

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 14:38
Coops,

I have heard of this happening even with the older ones, I have also seen it.

I have done some tests and the cover doesn't appear to make all that much difference, however my fridge is surrounded by draws on one side and water containers on the other side which insulate it a bit, still the top is free from external insulation... and so are both ends.

I found the cycles to be the same with or without the cover so I opted not to get one. (I borrowed one once).

The rust appears towards the bottom of the fridges used with a cover.

Will
AnswerID: 13115

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:07

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:07
I have found that if you polish the metal of the Engel, with some car wax, and take the cover off occasionaly, just to inspect and clean, you will increase the life of the fridge.
AnswerID: 13117

Reply By: bruce.h - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:28

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 15:28
coops
mine has been in a bag since 1985 & as far as i know rust is not a problem so far but i am going top have alook when i get home
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 13119

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 16:02

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 16:02
Hi Coops,

Our Engel has been in a cover since 1998 with no sign of rust. The technician was right about condensation though as we have noticed moisture between fridge and cover on a few occasions. We never zip our bag closed (a bit lazy, LOL) so the this allows the air to circulate a bit more and the moisture to dry up quickly.

No doubt we would get better insulating value out of our engel if we did zip the bag up but then, our main motivation for getting the bag in the first place was to protect the fridge against knocks and scratches. Every now and then we take the cover off and give the fridge a really good clean and inspection.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 13124

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:28

Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:28
My engel has had cover on since new (jan 1999) and cabinet is rusting. At this stage, is small rust spots in cabinet.

Fridge has not been used that much.

I live in tropics and outside of fridge (when running) is always covered in condensation. Fridge has never been near salt water so condensation is only cause.

So, yes its true, in some climates.

Sean

AnswerID: 13228

Reply By: willie - Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 13:14

Sunday, Feb 16, 2003 at 13:14
Coops
I bought my engel in late 99 & it came with a free (big promotion) genuine engel cover. since then the fridge has done 2 trips around Aust 1st trip in the back of a ute in the weather (all sorts), 2nd trip inside a canvas canopy in the same ute.
had no trouble with rust untill the end of the 2nd trip, all of the rust is surface rust & caused by condensation (due to the consistently high temp under the canopy)
my advice is to buy the cover as it does a good job of reducing the load on the battery & keeping the fridge cooler at a lower setting on the switch. the trick may be to allow good airflow around the fridge & remove the cover fairly regular to allow the fridge & cover to compleatly dry out.
I have stripped my fridge & had the metal skin sandblasted & powder coated, since then have had no further sign's of rust.
hope this helps. Cheers Willie
AnswerID: 13256

Follow Up By: Rojac - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 16:22

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 16:22
Willie

What type of brackets do you have to secure the fridge in the ute.

To stop it moving around and/or to stop theiving priks??

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 8186

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 23:20

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 23:20
Rob
i have a engel spring base that i screw to the floor of the ute & also put a chain & padlock on one handle.

it will only deter an honest theif

cheers Willie
FollowupID: 8421

Sponsored Links