GoodYear MTR's

Submitted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 11:44
ThreadID: 33715 Views:2734 Replies:5 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Is there any good reason to not use Goodyear MTR's?????? For long outback trip with all types of conditions. Really want tyres that will give the least hastles and not get destroyed buy staking. Also need to be able to handle the Gibber, not like Coopers ST.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Qld - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 14:56

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 14:56
No idea. Ask me again in August.

We're heading off for a short stint through corner country in July.
I'm currently running Wrangler MTR's and quite happy so far. They handled the Vic high country very well back in January, though it was dry as chips. So far they strike me as a good "happy medium" tyre. A tad noisy on the tar, but not unreasonable.

Cheers
AnswerID: 171719

Reply By: traveller2 - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:07

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:07
The hardest part might be actually getting them as I know two people who are waiting for them, might be unprocurable at the moment in popular sizes.
AnswerID: 171720

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:23

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:23
true, I recently had a mongrel of a job sourcing my 31's, lots of ringing around but I eventually got them.
FollowupID: 427218

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:11

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 15:11
No. But still have to make sure that you are running proper tyre pressures for
the weight/speed/conditions you are in... This is applies to all tyres.

Going to Madigan Line/Hay River Trip in about a mounth time, and will be using MTRs... Everyone with BFG AT KO's has been banned from this Trip :)
AnswerID: 171721

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:21

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:21
I assume you are doing an LCOOL trip because I seem to remember seeing some comments about BFG's staking the sidewalls too easily. What do they say about BFG muds as I'm running these.
FollowupID: 427216

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:59

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:59
Richard, BFg muds are better. The ATKO have a lip all the way round that is a magnet for sharp sticks.
FollowupID: 427278

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:18

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:18
Stan,
I think banning BFGs is a bit over the top. After all, plugging punctures is half the fun of the trip :-))) On the 2004 trip, there were 2 100series with ATKOs - one was up front and had half a dozen punctures; the other was tail end and had none. Anyway, Daz's big rubber will iron out the bumps for you guys!
FollowupID: 427294

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:05

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:05
Good road and dirt track tyre from all reports. Not so hot off-track (bush bashing) at least in WA. I know 'Davoe' tried them in place of the common split rims and 14ply rags and they died in very short order.

No such thing as free lunch I guess. Really depends what you want to do with them and where.
AnswerID: 171755

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:42

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 17:42
Yeah but Davoe is going places most people wouldn't. (I'm just jealous of him!!).

I've done a fair bit of bush work through a wide variety of terrain and the only puncture I've had so far is a masonary drill bit of about 4 inches that went through it. It still didn't leak until I pulled it out though!

I would recomend them as an excellent and very capable all rounder.
FollowupID: 427229

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:45

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 18:45
i agree the rags are tough as nails, used to run them tears ago on HQ while shooting and had one flat in 2 years after geting 1-2 every trip with 8ply LT radials. but they were dangerous on bitumin, 4 drops of rain and the rear end wanted to lead the way.
how does your mate find them on bitumin???
FollowupID: 427245

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:02

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 19:02
The rags are crap on road. As I mentioned, it all depends what you want to do. Most people don't go 'off track' any more so it's not such a big issue.

Haven't used them myself, but the Indian 14 ply MRF tyres seem to be the go for bush bashing.
FollowupID: 427248

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 00:26

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 00:26
Hey V8 Diesel, I rember "davoe" talking about the tyres he ripped to pieces, but I didn't think they were MTR's?

Hey man, I'm not callin you a liar or nothin, but are we talking about the same "davoe" (ex wigdiemoultha) ?
FollowupID: 427344

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 00:56

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 00:56
I'll put my money on V8. I remember Davoe posting about the MTR's he cut up badly. He'd cut up any tyre though, the man goes where no man has gone before.
FollowupID: 427348

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:38

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:38
Definately MTR's he was talking about. It's no slur against the MTR's, all radials are useless in these WA conditions.

The problem with these sort of discussions are there's no right ot wrong. What's great in the Vic high country or Cape York is utter rubbish 'off-track' in the Goldfields of WA.

The problem is, what people describe as 'off road' varies. To some it's gravel, to some it's single vehicle tracks and to others it's getting a compass reading, taking a bearing and heading off. The latter is the situation where any radial tyre is as handy as chocolate teapot. I think what confuses the issue here is people argue about two entirely seperate things.

I used to work in exploration, which meant we'd actually make the tracks through virgin bush and the only tyres that stand up to 'bush-bashing' as we used to call it are skinny, high ply rated cross ply LT tyres. They come at a price in that they are hard, handle poorly on the road and grip is not that good - but all of these things are much better than a flat tyre. If you were to head across Australia in a straight line the only choice would be these, however most people tend to stick to the tracks which makes a lot of sense and opens up a wider choice of tyres.

For 99.8% of the folks here, the MTR would be an excellent choice.

FollowupID: 427377

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:55

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 09:55
V8, I know exactly what your saying and agree with you, however when I talked about bush driving I did mean off the track. In places such as Yellowdine, Brookton and and around Dalwallinu for example. The circumstances I won't enter into and I'd never try to pretend I do what Davoe used to (and probally still does) get up to as he is obviously doing a lot harder bushwork than me, the point is that for the small amounts of bushwork I've done in a variety of types of scrub they have been flawless so far.

But as you say for 99% of people, it's a non-issue anyway and they are a fantastic all rounder.
FollowupID: 427379

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:11

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 10:11
Agreed. Hey Jeff, how do you find the MTR's for road noise? Heard conflicting reports.
FollowupID: 427380

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:02

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:02
Thanks for the well put comments that make sence and put it in perspective.
I would like to know how the skinny cross plys go in sand and do they handle low PSI for long distance on soft sand?
i know the old tractor rag tyres would start cracking if PSI was too low, the new radials dont.
FollowupID: 427401

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:33

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:33
GN, check this link out, it is spot on.

Beadell tyre info

Local knowledge is invaluable in any decision like this. I take info from 4x4 shops, forums, mags etc with a pinch of salt. Best bet is to find out what people who earn their living working in the specific area recommend.

There is so much froth and bubble around these days, it's hard to sift out what you really need and what is just good marketing. Remember, these outback tracks were originally made by a lone, series 1 petrol Landrover with crossply tyres. No power steering, no aircon, no ARB accessories, no diff locks, no GPS, no tyrepliers, no Blue Tongue compressor, no sat phone and most importantly.....no road!
FollowupID: 427413

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:12

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:12
V8, I think the reason for conflicting results for tyre noise comes down to:

1. They get much noisier as they get older/worn
2. If not balanced reguarly (5-10k) they get REALLY loud.
3. Some people compare them to AT tyres (and have never experience the sound a true muddy makes) and other compare them to a BFG muddy or procomp etc.

When I whacked them on, WOW they were quiet, didn't even know they were on.
5k WOW they were starting to get noisy quickly! ;-)
10k and free balance (goodyear offer free balance every 10k plus free tyre repairs) and WOW they were quiet again.

From what I've experienced they really need to be re-balanced every 5k to keep the noise to a minimum. 10k is fine though if your vehicle has reasonable sound proofing. Of course if you don't give a crap (as a true 4wder shouldn't) then it really doesn't matter, you hang your arm out the window and listern to the WOOAHWOOAHWOOAH and just enjoy knowing you have a quality tyre on the road. :-)

Even at 10k if my radio is at a reasonable volume and my windows are up it's only a quiet background noise, nothing you can't talk over with a normal speaking voice. With the windows down it's a little noisy.
FollowupID: 427430

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 00:20

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 00:20
Just to clear things up the tyres I ripped to pices were Toyo opats. However the MTR fared little better and contary to discussion The first flat I WAS giving them a hard time pushing through heavy bush trying to uncover a rock marked on the map HOWEVER I returned the 2nd break and was on a well formed although stick strewn track only minutes from the highway and suffered a 2cm gash in the sidewall
FollowupID: 427612

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:01

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:01
Hi Davoe, how's it all going up at Nullagine?

I'm off this morning to Sandstone, Agnew, Yakabindie and then heading south over the next few days to Kal via Kookynie, Niagra etc. Like a kid on Christmas morning I am.

For the first time I'm putting my faith in radials. I'm not going to put my splits on for this trip as I think we'll only be driving on tracks, but I got to admit I'm not all that comfortable with the idea.

FollowupID: 427634

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 12:45

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 12:45
Nullagine is not what I expected there are great looking hills everywhere and i have been scaling them like a mountain goat soil sampling. everything is green and all the creek crossings between newman and nullagine are still flowing.
Unless you are really exploring radials should be fine for that trip as all the roads that way are usually in pretty good shape and often not much worse than bitumen. Niagra Dam should be nearly full ATM. When you stop off for a coldie or 2 at Kookynie ask the barman for the mud map of the rock formations. hanging rock, split rock and balancing rock - worth a look
FollowupID: 427689

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:50

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 20:50
Any GOOD reason....................?
Well, a reason NOT to use is:

because you like sidewall punctures.
because you like inferior traction.
because you are afraid to use a brand and model of tyre new to you, that is not one of the most popular.
you prefer to take a slightly cheaper option..................

I have had Kumho, Bridgestone, Kelly, Toyo on my GU Patrol. Just had the Goodyear muddies put on (3,000 km torture test - heaps of gibbers, sharp rocks, cross- country station environment/no tracks, which significantly increases the chance of staking. Me mate had new Toyos on & had three flatties to none of mine) & I'm very satisfied.

However some acquaintances/mates tell me flatties are only luck related, not brand/model related. I do not agree, but that is their opinion. (One bloke on the above trip shredded two tyres on the torture test). But I acknowledge that they may well be right.

I reckon all you can do is make a decision and stick with it. If you have no flatties, you will be correct!

Good luck.
AnswerID: 171803

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:10

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:10
Hi Rick,

Heard you had a good trip (from Greg). Good to hear the MTRs were OK - I did that same trip with Youngy in 1999, and destroyed 2 desert duellers and punctured another.

My MTRs have bitten the dust after 2 years of many trips - started delaminating a bit on the sidewalls - Goodyear came to the party, and prorata'd them. I have to admit that they copped a heap during that time.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 427287

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:44

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:44
Yeah, we had 3 of us in that party that had the G'year muddies, including Greg & Tricia. All very Happy. The muddies performance in sand were a real surprise. My mate is now gunna run them on his farm utes.
Dean had three flats on his brand new OPATS. He was cheesed!
My big Niss got 3.7 km/L in the Gammons. Oh well, that's life.
Even was able to lead Youngy & Don R to a ruin site that was new to them.................but of course they led me to much I had never seen before. They are an excellent leader/tail end charlie unit.

When do you head off, Phil?
How many travelling in your party?
Have just read CT Madigan's "Central Australia"...........very inspiring to a would-be desert dweller/traveller.
Have you seen Goyder's Pillars?

Cheers
FollowupID: 427307

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:56

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:56
I saw Dean at the tyre shop when he got them fitted - those Toyos looked good - 10 ply and all - very hard to get a good tyre on 17inch rims. I agree with you about Don and Peter.

We've got 6 vehicles which is our limit - have had to say no to some others. Madigan's book is a great read - I got hold of an original copy from a 2nd hand bookstore in town - just a nice thing to keep.

Yeah, saw Goyders Pillar on the Hay River trip last year - Lindsay Bookie takes you there when he does a sunset tour. Are you planning on heading up there?
FollowupID: 427311

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:13

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:13
Love to head there, maybe 2007. Wonder if Greg & Tricia are interested?
Got my copy of that Madigan from Beulah Park 2nd hand book shop, v.g. condition, $ 40.00.

If you can, I would really appreciate an emailed pic of the Pillars when you get home. It would be fascinatin' to see your pic from the same perpective as Madigan's, and a pic also of the head of the Thring & Arthur creeks. Interestingly, Thring & Arthur are names closely associated with John McDouall Stuart. I wonder if Winnecke named those creeks? If so, I think no coincidence. Those blokes knew each others travels & background intimately.

I'm also a big fan of George Woodroffe Goyder; Larry Wells; Chas Winnecke; Barclay et al. What men, what country. Inspiring.

Have a good 'un.

FollowupID: 427316

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:30

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:30
Rick, your iprimus address just bounced. Can you email me at
hdj79r at internode dot on dot net and I'll send you the photo etc
FollowupID: 427320

Sponsored Links