am transceiver

Submitted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 21:47
ThreadID: 33736 Views:1620 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
gday guys.
i just bought a house in the great southern of w.a. and in it is an old uniden AM-SSB transceiver that looks like it came on the arc. the bloke who owned the house rekond he could get reach geraldton with it. the reason i post this post is i wouldnt have a clue how to use it. its got plenty of knobs and buttons to amuse myself with but what do they do. any info would be helpful. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:20

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:20
There's probably nobody to talk to on 27meg AM these days:) Turn the on button on, noises should come out of the speaker. If the aerial is attached, change the channel switch until you find someone to talk to. Then press the button on the mic and go for your life.
AnswerID: 171829

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:46

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:46
Unfortantely 27 Mhz is not used by many people anymore.

Talking to Geraldton might have been possible - but it wouldn't have been consistent. It would have relied on a phenoma called "skip" which radio waves bounce off the ionosphere. Trouble is (1) There is a "zone of silence" between you and when skip signal first happens (2) Dependant on sunspot cycles and whether so it is not consistent

Having said all that - if you don't find a use for it - I may be interested in buying it.
AnswerID: 171834

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:53

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 22:53
Try upper side band or lower side band through each channel until you can hear something that sounds like voices.(assuming you're not schizo. In that case throw the radio out) This may work better with the squelch turned back so there's continuous background noise initially. Turn the clarifier knob to tune in the voices better. Often if you can hear them, they can hear you. I once had a sideband radio in my shed and late at night with a mate, I called out to anyone listening, and to our surprise about three seconds later we heard our own call come back. We think it skipped around the globe and back. For those whom have used these radios it can be quite exciting to talk to others across the world. I even talked to a couple on AM who said they were at Sidney's north shore, and I was in South Aust.! They did not believe it 'cause AM normally only has a range of maybe 10-20 km. There is still a bit of traffic on the airwaves, sometimes in Australia but often Indonesian fishermen (I think. At least it sounds like it). Rus.
AnswerID: 171835

Reply By: Young traveller - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:05

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:05
thanks for all your help. there is a knob here sayin am, usb and lsb. also there are buttons saying pa, nb/anl, ch 9. any ideas on what they mean and are used for?? also there is mike gain- rf gain and a clarifier and also tuning knob i would think (the big one). as you would only guess i have never seen one of these in my life, and it differs so much from my uhf radio in the commodore.
AnswerID: 171841

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:18

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:18
An AM signal consists of the central carrier and two sidebands upper and lower carrying duplicate info. If we filter the carrier and one sideband the bandwidth of the signal is narrower and carries a lot more punch, the carrier has to be reinserted at the receiver for it to be intelligble this is what the clarfifer does, tunes a frequency oscillator. So you have a switch for selecting whatever sideband you want or AM.

Mike gain is the sensitivity of the microphone

RF gain is strength od the received signal so you can screw it down if a nearby strong station is splattering onto your frequency.

NB would be a noise blanket to limit ignition type noise in a vehicle...can or can not be effective

ch 9 sounds like a button to jump quickly to ch 9....maybe emergency channel but I'm not sure
FollowupID: 427334

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:28

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 at 23:28
CH9 is the emergency channel, so try and stay off this one.

The big one is for changing channel 1. 2. 3. etc

RF Gain cuts out all the background noise, usually atmospheric noise.

Clarifier is like a micro tuner. The biggest downfall of 27meg was the tuning-in all the time, depending on whether other people had good equipment with quality arials, with solid connections, and whether they had accidently knocked the dial on their radio, wich means you have to go hunting to get the signal right.

Once you hear someone you will know what I mean.

Try the radio once a day for a few weeks, you will probably get someone. If you here what sounds like fifty thousand people talking at once...IT IS!!

50 thousand indo fishermen
FollowupID: 427336

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:02

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 08:02
I still have my old 27mhz side band CB in the car.
Don't even turn it on that often any more, occasionally useful when doing a trip with some one else in the group who also has 27mhz. Side band useful if I am last and want to talk to the front of the column. Better range than UHF.
Don't hear any one on channel 8 any more, the old road channel.
Normal 27mhz I believe is 5 watt transmit, while side band transmits at 25 watts, and as mentioned above, with the splitting of the band for transmit and recieve, the transmission distance is greater. You may also get some skip.
Rule is that your friend needs to be on the same channel and band, i.e. upper or lower, otherwise you won't hear each other.
Other general usage rule was that side band was only used on channels 13 to 40?
Tryig to remember that one!
There is a tuningknob for tuning side band, as well as squelch.
Gee, this is testing the memory.
AnswerID: 171860

Sponsored Links