airbag spring replacement

Submitted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 11:36
ThreadID: 33750 Views:1944 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
was interested to hear about peoples experiences that have the full air bag suspension kit (spring replacement) from the air bag man or similar(not airbag helper systems). Sounds like the best system of suspension as far as adjustable ride height for towing and comfort unlaiden but unsure about durability.

Mattie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tomtrish - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:59

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:59
Hi there,
dunno about a full spring replacement, but we have PolyAir Bags on our '96 Discovery and they are great. We drive around town with very little air in them then when we go away we tow a 2Tonne camper. I have occasionally forgot to pump the air bags up before we went and it's a fight to stop the sway. We don't use any weight distribution aids but just put 30psi in the air bags and she sits very nicely. Hope this helps.
Tom.
AnswerID: 171930

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:29

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:29
No experience here but read that they are great except that they require very good shockers and usually more than one per bag. If the shocks break then the system fails. On the upside the trucking industry has used these for a long time. Was speaking to a coach driver in Alice and asked him if he ever had one break because he did some dirt road. He said that he has had to replace one and it is no fun but reckons they are pretty robust.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 171937

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:41

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:41
Mattie.

I look forward to replies from users of full air systems. They are excellent gear on trucks ride wise and are extensivly used on prime movers and most euro trucks ( Volvo, Scannia etc).

My observations to date are that :-

Good quality shocks and/or more regular replacement is required with air bags.

A seperate suspension travel limiting device must be fitted other than using the shock absorbers.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 171954

Reply By: mattie - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:17

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 22:17
i will now go back armed with a few more questions about the shockie side of things thanku for your replies

Mattie
AnswerID: 172207

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:32

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 12:32
Mattie
Sorry for the late reply. I have a 2000 model troopie which had 2 ordinary rear springs (crappy Jap Steel ) Loooked at replacing these springs but came up with a cost of about $900 fitted. I looked at the Poly-Air Bellows (not the dinky red ones) at a cost of $710 and fit yourself. I went this way for the versatility, you can give yourself a 5inch lift if you want. I'm not sure that you would need a full air suspension. You can also fit them to the front suspension as well.

Cheers

Jeff P.S. did this last year, and a Simpson Desert crossing west to east ........Faannbloodytastic
AnswerID: 172282

Follow Up By: mattie - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 19:29

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 19:29
Hi Jeff
i was looking at the other rolling bag as i forgot to post i have a nissan so the other air bag replaces the coil spring. But out of interest the ones u have i told my father to look at on the farm 4x4 as u can have a very comfortable set of rear leaf springs and just inflate the billows when weight is needed to be carried? or do u have to run a certain amount of air pressure all the time.

Cheers Mattie
FollowupID: 427959

Sponsored Links