A Question for all you mums (and Dad's)...

Submitted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 12:56
ThreadID: 33755 Views:2408 Replies:17 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Toys for the car...what do you keep kids occupied with?? Both Kasey and Amy's birthdays are the week before our big trip and I thought Id kill 2 birds with one stone...birthday pressies that are great for playing with in the car....Kasey will be 3 and Amy 1....

My thoughts have been towards those magnetic drawing things but so far thats about it. I went to the toy shop the other day and was totally un-inspired!!

So what is good for the car trips??? Apart from dvd's and playing eye-spy....

Laura
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:00

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:00
In car DVD player is the only thing that gets ours occupied for a while :)
AnswerID: 171914

Follow Up By: NUTS! - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:44

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:44
I agree,
Was looking on eBay and found a complete unit that fits onto the roof, has 8" screen and dvd player built in for about $170.....I have 3 kids under 7 so its worth the investment for me.
NUTS!
FollowupID: 427730

Reply By: cloughie - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:04

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:04
For the 3 year old story books on cd/tape with own player and earphones.Helps with learning to read and word recognition etc.
AnswerID: 171917

Reply By: Platz - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:04

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:04
Hi Laura,

Ours also have a DVD, but before that they had CD walkmans with headphones. We limit the DVD use and they still love their walkmans
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 171918

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:05

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:05
Mine (before she became a teenager) liked nothing better than a drawing pad or a good book to read or a puzzle book.

Now it's the iPod and the Laptop (...groan...)
AnswerID: 171920

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:11

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:11
oh dear - next it'll be a car and a credit card....LOL....

Laura
FollowupID: 427429

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:23

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:23
Not these days I'm afraid. It's a specific car ($$$$) and several credit cards !
As soon as they're old enough buy a couple of ladders and put them under their windows.
As soon they start bringing young men home , kick em out.
Unless you like finding strange faces at the breakfast table of course.
Been there, done that and still got the debt.
FollowupID: 427445

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:35

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:35
She's 12.5 and already saving for a Mini Cooper.......
FollowupID: 427456

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:36

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:36
Cabrio of course.......
FollowupID: 427457

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:54

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:54
As she gets older the desire switches to more expensive cars. Strangely, our youth seems to be defining itself by the car that they have. When I was younger I couldnt afford one, and when the day came I didn't care what it was. My father had a saying, "3rd class riding is better than first class walking." How right he was.
FollowupID: 427463

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:23

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:23
Hi Laura

my two take, books, pens and pencils, colouring books, dvds, and they both have their own "computers" i.e reading aid books such as Leap pads, and computer toys that teach spelling etc.

Lyn
AnswerID: 171924

Follow Up By: Moggs - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:07

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:07
Hi Lyn,

Those Leap pads are great - especially for the car. Our daughter has one and with all the different books you can get it keeps them occupied for ages.

In addition, we fin a good way to keep our 6yr old daughter occupied is to give her our old point and shoot Kodak digital camera. She loves taking photos and gets a real kick out of looking at them on the computer and printing them out. She also enjoys making up a story that can go along with the pictures.

Hope all is well and the fellas are travelling safely (hopefully not in the rain!)
FollowupID: 427481

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:54

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:54
Hiya Moggs, yep they're great, I am thinking my two are at an age when a cheap digi cam would be a great idea too....

the boys are travelling well as far as I know, apart from a punctured beer can in Crazie's Jack before Ouyen, they're probably up there by now...
FollowupID: 427488

Follow Up By: S&N - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:28

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:28
were lucky, our brand new daughter is only 2weeks old, and her fingers keep her amused!!
FollowupID: 427507

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:33

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:33
Congrats to you!

give her time, and her fingers will be boring stuff :)
FollowupID: 427509

Follow Up By: Moggs - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 06:55

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 06:55
Hey S&N. Nat and I were talking the other day and wondering when the big event was happenning!. Congratulations, hope all is going well.

Lyn, Glad to hear their long drive went well, even if there was one suicidal beer can in the Jack!
FollowupID: 427629

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:29

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 13:29
We used to do long trips across Europe with the boys and for a while before we left I would buy odd bits and pieces which I though they would enjoy, nothing expensive but rather a variety of $2 shop type things which I would keep hidden in a bag under the drivers seat and when they got really bored I would produce something from the bag - hey presto! a new toy :) it worked well.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 171925

Reply By: RupertDog - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:16

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:16
Laura B

Can certainly recommed the Books on tape (or CD). Most of the Disney Classics, and new releases are available. Can be used with or without the book (have managed to lose almost all of the books, but the kids still listen with interest). Can also get wiggles and nursery rhymes on tape (or dear I say copy them off the tv).

Works even better if you can turn the radio to the rear speakers, so that the front seat is relatively quiet. It is a bit scary when you can quote word for word Winnie the Pooh (and a day for Eyore)!!!!

Would also suggest (at least for the 3 yo) a small luchbox packed with snacks they can eat along the way (I use fruit, couple of lollies, biscuits and a variety of healthy and non healthy stuff), and a drink bottle. Saves an incredible amount of turning around to hand over drink bottles and food.

Also found that a couple of thier current fav toys (as well as a soft teddy - to fall asleep on/with) keeps them quiet for a while.

Add a sunshade and all should be well. Don't forget frequent stops. Our 2 also know that they get to go to a number of kids places, but in return Mum & Dad get a couple of adult places (usually kid friendly though).

May want to check out the "On The Road" on this site - some good ideas as well.

Enjoy the trip
RD
AnswerID: 171932

Reply By: ellen m - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:19

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:19
Hi laura

My 3 1/2 year old boy will spend hours listening to nursery rhymes and talking books on his disk player. I got some for just a few $ at our Cheap shop not long ago. Nursey Rhymes for $2 and 2 packs of Disney books (toys story & lion king) for $5. The shop in cairns is called Crazy Clarks, i guess others would have them too.

He also has a Fisher Price Power touch computer. I tend to buy a new book/disk for it and give it to him a day or two into the trip when the others become "old". We tend not to play with it much at home so that it is something different when we are away. This is also a good one for "quiet time" in the camp.

He also has a set of binoculars and sits in up in the back seat of the troopy spotting everything. They make I Spy a little more interesting.This is also a good way for him to tell daddy where to go! Saves Mummy the trouble.

He has one of those table things that sit on your lap. Many hours are spent playing with the magnetic Thomas trains on this. Drawing & colouring books are good, as are the sticker books. Another good one is a view-finder, again i buy a new set of slide thingys for any new long trips and hand them out one at a time into the trip.

I think the trick is to have lots of different things to do and change them often.

Good luck

Adam's Mummy
AnswerID: 171933

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:22

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:22
OK here goes..!

1. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with "A"
2. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with "B"
3. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with C
4. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with D
5. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with E
6. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with F
7. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with G
8. I Spy with my little eye, something beginning with H

And when that runs it's legs try this:

9. OK Kids, please spell "Are we there yet" backwards..!

AnswerID: 171935

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:29

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:29
Like Mike we had a bag of goodies that used to pop a new item out now and then. The 3 YO is easier - lots of books, colouring pencils and books/paper. 1 YO is hard. Dangly stuff from the roof works for a bit, and whatever else, DON'T forget the vital blanket/toy/teddy that they can't sleep without! (we used to carry a spare blanky (blanket) which was kept to the same worn state as the original so that if the primary one was lost we had an instant backup)

We occasionally we take our whole pack of 20 somethings to an interstate wedding, but now need lots of sockets for laptops, DVD players, camera charges etc etc.

*sigh*

I remember the days when looking out he window was a viable option. Now only Mr and Mrs Paj do that and we can't even have music on because it interferes with the sound track!

Good Luck

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 171936

Reply By: Jacked off - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:37

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:37
Hi Laura

We recently did a long trip and although my kids are a bit older than yours this will probably still be useful.

My kids had their diskman, favourite books and a small soft toy each plus a 'surprise bag' of goodies each which included a variety of books, pens, pencils, paper and the older two were also given a disposable camera to use for the trip.

I am lucky with my kids as they have travelled a fair bit (regular trips to the in-laws farm, club trips etc) since they were born so they are very settled on long drives.

We also invested in 'stable tables' for each of them to use in the car (also handy when eating dinner around the camp fire).

Hope you have a good trip. :-))
AnswerID: 171939

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:40

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:40
Hi Laura

Apart from the usual car games......I Spy, Punch Buggy (while in some type of civilization, would be hard pressed finding any of these in the outback, Mum & Dad can play this too, the adult version, it's called Kiiss Buggy), Number Plate (a-z or numerical) Sequence game, Alphabet game, give then a word and they have to make as many words from it in a set amount of time, etc.
My kids also took school/own reading books, pens, pencils, felt pens, highlighters, crayons, colouring books, they had an exercise book that the used as their own personal daily diary that they wrote and drew in each day/night about the days travels, little hand held water games, hand held electronic hand games (before gameboys & dvd palyers etc), a game they cut out of cardborad that had "x" amount of holes cut out on each side and they used marbles and dice, it was similar to Backgammon (hopefully someone will know the name of that game and how to play it, it's been a while since I played it). You can buy mini versions from most toy stores of the games like Battleship, Connect Four, Hangman etc. They are excellent in the car because of the size. The trick here is to take lots of various small things and to occupy their time.

I'm sure you will work it out.
There are lots of good tips in those replies, so Good Luck and enjoy your trip!!!

Cya
:)
(Muddies Better Half)
AnswerID: 171940

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:57

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 14:57
Now there's something new for an old geezer like me, "kiss buggy." I wouldn't even kiss my Landcruiser, never mind some beach machine !! :))))))))
FollowupID: 427464

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:16

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:16
Hi Footie

Well unless it's Herbie!!!

Games goes like this, when you see a VW bug and you get to punch ONCE only the oposition (kids should be monitored with the punching, of course unless you want your kids to punch each other out.......lol)
If you see a VW Combi Van like what the back packers use, then it's 10 punches.
There are other rules to it but we mainly kept to these ones.

Now relate this to adults........doesn't have to be just kisses.
Make sure you inform the wife of the rules too, no unfair advantages either!

Have fun on your next outing!

Cya
:)
FollowupID: 427467

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:28

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:28
Hey, great game BUT it's no wonder that it's a long time between kisses around here. I havent seen a VW Bug for years ! :)))))
FollowupID: 427470

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:28

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 15:28
i have always found that no matter what they take we end up playing silly games any way where would we be without i spy
AnswerID: 171942

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:21

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:21
Tie the little people up in a series of knots with a good rope , and then put them in the car with the seat belt on. This will keep them entertained for hours.
AnswerID: 171951

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:58

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 16:58
Don't forget the gag!
FollowupID: 427490

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:53

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 17:53
Hi and good luck, our boys are now 18 and 19 but have travelled well since they were babies. All of the above have worked well for us. Don't produce all the goodies at once, keep some in reserve to be released as boredom creeps in. If you give them something new take away a toy they are not using - it too will be like new again to them in a day or two! If you look around the shops there are travel versions of many games but maybe your two are too young yet for small pieces (travel connect 4, travel checkers, crocodile dentist, travel guess who). We also had trays that hooked over the front head restrains by rope loops, they could be lowered when needed and folded up to the back seat if not needed, much cooler than using stable tables and nothing gets spilled if they get the fidgets. We also let the kids run wild at stops while we ate, then fed them in the car after we resumed the trip, this way they worked off all their energy and saved us time.
Cheers, Mike.
AnswerID: 171967

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:35

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:35
Can I just mention one thing...? (I knew you'd say yes :)

Someone(s) mentioned CD/tape players and headphones for children, good idea but please ensure they don't wind the volume up on them too high. Children's ears are very sensitive and there is a, very real, possibility of long term hearing damage from prolonged exposure to high sound pressure levels.

If you have a multi speaker system in the car perhaps play their CD on the car player and fade the front speakers out and let the children use the rear ones - that way you can control the volume.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 171981

Reply By: ellen m - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:38

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:38
hi laura

i thought of a couple of other things that might be good for little girls. What about paper dolls that they can dress up. Most book shops sell them for a few dollars. Or you could cut some out of cardboard dolls before the trip and the 3 yr old could draw some pretty clothes on them. Adam also has a magnetic board/book thing that came with all the play school toys etc as cut outs. He can make pictures with and then we tell stories about them. i got it from one of the big book shops.

see ya

Ellen
AnswerID: 172110

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:23

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:23
Thanks heaps Ellen.....i was thinking about dolls but paper ones sound so much easier than the real ones!!

Will keep a look out fr them....

Thanks everyone....all idea's have been useful!!

Laura
FollowupID: 427843

Sponsored Links