Kimberley camping

Submitted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:01
ThreadID: 33763 Views:2157 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
How much bush camping (rather than campgrounds) can be done during a lap of the Kimberley area in June/July for 6 weeks?- standard trip going anti-clockwise coming in from the Tanami- I expect there'll be heaps of other travellers but it's a pretty big place. I'm happy to put some cash into the area for fuel/supplies etc. so it's not a money-saving thing, just rather be 'outside the wire'. i've joined up at last, as I got some helpful advice from member Willem recently and thought it's time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Beemer - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:18

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:18
G'day Tony,

We have been thinking along the same lines. Heading off on the start of July
White 05 Defender TD5 110. Be interested to hear of any areas as well.

Beemer
Melb Vic
AnswerID: 171976

Reply By: bombsquad - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:32

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 18:32
Gday Tony and Beemer

Its almost limitless - there are heaps of places - I don't know of any compiled lists etc, but we seem to find places wherever we go.

Happy travels, I will be in Kalumbaru from the 13th june for about 5 days......come and say gday if your in the area - Purpleish blue gu with 17 ft centre console

Andrew
AnswerID: 171979

Follow Up By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:18

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 19:18
jeez andrew thats a big console how do you fit it in the gu just leave thwe windows down????
lmao

steve
FollowupID: 427518

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 09:12

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 09:12
Woops, Boat. Nice pickup LOL.
FollowupID: 427659

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:27

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:27
Well still big even as a boat! Hope the road to Kalumburu has had the grader over it? Saw something like that there Aug/Sept last year, was that you?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427676

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 14:45

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 14:45
No, haven't been up there yet - been pretty slack, lived in KNX for almost 7 years now & haven't been accross the Pentercost yet. Planning for a slow drive over 2 days to get there to look after the gear. Not long to go now......

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 427716

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 14:56

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 14:56
Don't know if you are familiar with the place but there are some nice reefs out from McGowans. George the caretaker can provide GPS coordinates.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427718

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:09

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:09
Planning to stay at honnymoon. will call over to McGowans though. The mate I'm going with has fair knowlege of the area, and we have quite a few GPS points, but the more the merrier!

Cheers
FollowupID: 427721

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:12

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 15:12
My wife scored this ther last year.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427723

Reply By: Arkay - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:23

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:23
We stayed mainly in National Parks for e.g Windjana Gorge, Purnululu (Bungle Bungles), Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater (woo watch the ghosts!), and had a ball. They had varying levels of facilities (water, loos, showers, shade covers, or none of the above) and some had smallish fees attached. What they did have was "ouside the wire" camping (camper trailer) with some degree of security and some facilities. Enjoy!
AnswerID: 172026

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:45

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 21:45
Going to be quiet around here, we are all in the Kimberley. Dark blue GU 3.0Di + O'Briens and a Lexus 470 + TVan. June 22- July 16.
AnswerID: 172034

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 00:13

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 00:13
Wife Julie and I expect to be in the same area around June.
Grey 80 Series loaded to the gunnels with exploroz sticker, and canvas rubbish bag attached to rear wheel carrier. Stands out like dogs ...... Also an Oztent Pod on the roof. Shall keep an eye out for y'all. We are currently in WA from Sydney and taking a leisurely run up the west coast.
Like Tony, we prefer being outside the wire, and are happy with Nat Parks along the way.
Safe travels
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 172068

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:02

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:02
My wife and I did the same trip last year. We found many places - just look out for indistinct tracks into the bush and use commonsense. Camp fires wouldn't be a good idea unless you have express permission from the leaseholder/landowner (of course!!) but if the land is unfenced and you take all the normal precautions you should be able to mostly bush-camp and be free of the all the overcrowding/ghetto blasters/swearing etc that is common in campgrounds.

How can it be considered 'reasonable' in a country this size with 18m population to be 'herded' into 'camps'? It's beyond me!

The campgrounds mentioned (especially at Windjana) are a 'must do' though.
AnswerID: 172079

Follow Up By: AdlelaideGeorge - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 13:00

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 13:00
I forgot to mention Bell Creek and Gorge as being the absolute BEST places! Leave plenty of time to stay there - you'll never want to leave. We had Woolybutt camp at the Creek camp grounds and it must be one of the great spots in the world (my view anyway) to camp. We had 2 days up at the Gorge and both times made our way down to the bottom where you can swim in the pool beneath the falls - I swam up to and underneath the falls - they were still flowing well but safe enough to get underneath the water as it casaded down..............DON'T MISS THIS PLACE!
FollowupID: 427694

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 06:38

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 06:38
Hello George,
The reason you get as you put it hearded into camps is because the second you set wheel off the road down one of those indistinct tracks just mentioned is because you are then on land someone else is paying money to rent !
They therefore have the right to chose to open it up for tourism or not to do so.
It is private property with full rights by the leasehold to prosecute if you are caught on it. If the land is fenced or not has nothing at all to do with anything.
This may have a blind eye turned to it in the past but the numbers now doing it are huge and half of them are careless with rubbish, fires etc etc. In the past when the numbers where small it wasn't such a problem, with the numbers now doing it is it a problem.
Visitors are in the area 2 minutes and gone, each one thinks they are the only one doing this stuff, they are not thinking of the thousands that in fact do it, we are the ones left to deal with the problems.
Also each person wants to be alone and goes a bit further and a bit further, that indistinct track is in fact a private station track which people have no permission to be on.
The other problem is next thing they are accidently in the midst of muster and stuff it up for the pastoralist. I think people may all think differently about it if
(1) If it was them paying the rent, rates etc
(2) If it was them trying to run a bussiness where everyone thought they had a key to the door.
(3) You may think it is an empty wilderness but it is our backyard and we all run our business on all of it.
I am not having a go at you or any one person personally, just no one seems to stop and think about all this ' free ' camping on another persons lease from the other persons point of view at all !

No one would dream of going into a leased or freehold property anywhere in a more populated area without permission but there is no difference what so ever, and the same tresspass laws do apply.
It is only by the goodwill of the pastoral leaseholder that we mostly chose not to prosecute but be aware this is changing.
A re think of attitude by visitors is required, it is not your ' right ' to go on anothers land regardless if leased or freehold anymore than it is mine to go on to your place.

cheers, Anne

FollowupID: 428039

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:33

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 08:33
G'day Tony,

There are plenty of places but one that stands out for me is along the Ord River along the back roads to Wyndham from Kunnunurra over Ivanhoe Crossing. It was just off the road with grass (hoping it hasn't all been washed away) right on the river. There was a drop toilet and for some it might not be remote enough but a glorious shaded camp with water (and crocs) very close.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 172090

Follow Up By: Alan H - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:13

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:13
Hi Beatit.
Yes that's a great spot by the Ord. We didn't camp there last year just stopped for lunch while driving through to Wyndham.
Just so peaceful, just bird and insect noises, no vehicles we could see, one bloke fishing and a couple camping, plent of room, magic spot that I'm going to stay at for a few days soon.
But keeping an eye out for those crocs!
Alan.
FollowupID: 427673

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:24

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:24
G'day Alan,

"magic spot that I'm going to stay at for a few days soon" Planning a trip to the Kimberley?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427674

Follow Up By: Alan H - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:38

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:38
I'm dieing to get out of this office for ever and am always dreaming of the Kimberley! I've worked there and stayed at a few places and love it.

As soon as I can arrange it I'll be back there, but not this year worst luck unless I get that powerball tonight.
Happy camping for all you lucky ones who no doubt have worked hard and deserve the break.
Alan.
FollowupID: 427679

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:42

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:42
Mate, get out of that office without dying - no good the other way. I will get back there as well probably several times. There is a big barra in the Ord that has my hook in its gob and I want it back. He got me by suprise last time - won't happen again.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 427681

Reply By: Member - Tony T (VIC) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:12

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:12
Thanks to all- info. just what I'd hoped for. See u on the road.
AnswerID: 172103

Reply By: ellen m - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:28

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 10:28
Hi tony

one of our all time fav spots when travelling that area is on the penticoste river on the Gibb river road. on the eastern side of the river just before you cross turn to the right. there are camp sites along the edge of the river. caught a few barra down towards the rock bar. we lucked it and got the spot with the big shady tree. had planed to stay for one night, stayed 11 and then had to head back to kunurrarra for more food !
Had a bull crash thru the campsite in the middle of the night one night...scared the poo out of us. but other than that it was a great spot.

enjoy your self

ellen
AnswerID: 172108

Reply By: mkthomp - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 19:55

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 19:55
hi
also heading to the kimberlys mid july- LC100 and Tvan. friends LC80 and adventure camper.
will there be room for us all!!!
karen and malcolm
AnswerID: 172174

Reply By: Member - Tony T (VIC) - Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 20:10

Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 20:10
Yep I reckon there'll be the room- just tt
AnswerID: 172177

Sponsored Links