ECB Roof Racks

Submitted: Friday, May 12, 2006 at 09:44
ThreadID: 33814 Views:5117 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just after any feedback on the ECB Roof Racks, from people who are running them on 80 Serieses. Never having used a roof rack before - I guess I'm after info also on what to look for too! I've looked around and am fairly impressed with the ECB unit!

One last question is how well does the gutter mount work?? The gutters on the 80 seem pretty bloody flimsy! They're not rusty or anything they just don't seem real solid!

Cheers
Scoey!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 13:30

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 13:30
G'day Scoey
Can't help you with the ECB as I bought mine from Opposite Lock many moons ago and I have no idea what make it was (and still is!). However I have used it on 2 80s and have never had a problem. The gutters are plenty strong - perhaps you're looking at the plastic silver covering over the actual steel gutters.
On my roof rack I had the bases of the 3 legs made wider as I thought they were too narrow.
Sloping front to help cut down wind resistance is handy.
Mine had a mesh floor and I added a thin plywood floor over the mesh to stop stuff getting damaged and wet. I also enclosed the sides with rubber and with the canvas cover I had made it is very waterproof.
Oh yeah - it's alloy and has never given me any problems.
And yes it has been offroad (Canning, Simpson, Cape, Gulf etc).
Hope this helps.
Cheers from the Moose.
AnswerID: 172298

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 20:52

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 20:52
I have an ECB rack but not on an 80, its on a 120 Prado.
Very strong, light and quiet in the wind.
The Prado has a weird shape roof so it makes the rack a mongrel shape and I hate it.
Other than the shape its been great with no probs.
I am going to get rid of mine and go to a rola or rhino as when I update I only replace the legs. Should have done that in the first place but we live and learn.
Hind sight is a wonderful thing
Cheers
120scruiser
AnswerID: 172372

Reply By: drewab - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 22:21

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 22:21
Scoey,
I have had a ECB aluminium roof rack for nearly 10 years on 2 differant 80 series. It has been excellent, been across Gibb River Rd, Simpson, and many other places. I did add more cross pieces to it to stop the mesh from sagging when standing on rack to load it. I am considering putting a ply floor on mine to reduce wind drag. Very good Rack, never had to re-weld anything.

Cheers Drew
AnswerID: 172392

Sponsored Links