uniden uhf - 012 or 088

Submitted: Friday, May 12, 2006 at 10:18
ThreadID: 33816 Views:2028 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've been thinking about UHF for a while, and finally need to make a purchase. I reckon Prestige's package deals are looking good. The 012 and the 088 (including a 6db ground independent antenna) each cost $295. Two questions: 1. Apart from physical size and speaker placement, are there other differences between these units (performance, etc)? 2. Any thoughts about the robustness (vibration or hitting an overhead branch) of the 2 antennas that are optional in these packages - the black fireglass antenna versus the stainless steel one? Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 10:49

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 10:49
If you are installing in a DIN slot in the dash - go for the 088 as it is DIN sized and has a front speaker.
If going under the dash, the 012 is more compact. And you can always add an external speaker for an extra $20 if needed.

If you are roofmounting the antenna, spend an extra $12-15 on a stubbie rubber aerial - they work great up there, and are unbreakable. If mounting on the bullbar, you'll need a high aerial for it to work well behind the vehicle. I find bullbar mounted aerials a bit frustrating in convoys.
AnswerID: 172269

Sponsored Links