Squeaking rear doors 3lt GU Patrol

Submitted: Friday, May 12, 2006 at 19:58
ThreadID: 33838 Views:4622 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Forum
I am experiencing some problems with the rear doors on my Patrol starting to make noises very similar to the problem the Toyota 90 series had squeaking. I have noticed on the door holding the rear wheel that where the rubber has rubbed through the paint on the top outside corner and the other door same but not to the same extent. The noise is really annoying and it sounds more than a rubber rubbing noise, it sounds like the door is about fall off. If it gets wet it squeaks constantly. I have had it back to the dealer as it is still under warranty and I have been informed to just slam them extra hard as all barn doors make this noise. One of the main reasons I sold previous Toyota was because the squeak of the rear doors was so bad that people ringing on the mobile phone could not hear me because I was drowned out by the squeaking noises. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem and hope the forum could help with a solution. Thanks in anticipation.
The Major
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lost one - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 21:00

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 21:00
Mate

Been through the whole thing with a series one.

Nothing you can do.

To prove the point go to a dealership and close the door on a 4.2 and listen when it closes.

Cheers
AnswerID: 172375

Reply By: Dave198 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 00:03

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 00:03
I think it is an inherant problem with most vehicles with barn doors. Possibly because of the body flexing I think.
Not sure but maybe it is the hinged top door ( or the spread of the hinges and rigidity of the door) on the Toyotas etc that stops the body from flexing so much, so no noise from the rubbers.
I think if you put some grahite powder on the rubbers it will quieten it a bit for you.
Dave
AnswerID: 172415

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 09:13

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 09:13
The Major
Try a light smeer of silicone grease onn the rubber.
a bit hard to get but it will lube most things and is water proof.
Ray
AnswerID: 172447

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:35

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 12:35
My series I periodically starts squeaking again. It's a pain. My previous 88 Mav/GQ never squeaked; perhaps a stronger door.
I usually readjust the top and bottom lock points of the larger door mounted on the main body (door locks themselves can't be adjusted). You'll need a very large phillips for the bottom, and a spanner for the top one, and try to push them in as far as they can go. Last time, I took to the top one with a large hammer and a piece of wood as a drift, bending it inwards a tad (bolts slightly loosened). Stopped it squeaking again. Generally, you can test for squeaking with the small door open, grab the larger door on the LH side with both hands and wrench backwards and forwards while it's closed. You will usually get the squeak if the problem is still there.
I also found that the later door seals (had to replace mine) are thicker than the series I seals. This seems to keep the doors closed tighter, and they squeak less. A bonus is less dust.
My comisserations
Gerry
AnswerID: 172486

Reply By: JR - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:04

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:04
Major,
Common problem, Clean off any old grease/dirt etc with a wet rag, them lightly spray seal with Silicone spray NOT wd40 etc
Silences it for a while, some country dealers do this standard when you mention the problem.
You can adjust the locks too, loosen bolts and hit gently then tighten. By the sound of the paint rubbing through best not to tighten them much more, may need to replace the seal.
Later models, 2003+ I think have a better seal kit on them too but still squeaks.
JR
AnswerID: 172496

Reply By: Skinny- Friday, May 19, 2006 at 15:36

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 15:36
An answer and a question?

HI Major, have the same probelm with an 80 series. I read on the cool 80's site that buying new rubber latch solves the probelm and they gave the part numbers. Unfortunately I have not been game to spend the $100 bucks as someelse told me it doesn't work and just sells more toyota product.

If anyone knows if it works let us know, I just use silicone spray before a big trip up till now.

Skinny

AnswerID: 173545

Reply By: Gu_Patrol - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 15:51

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 15:51
I have just got my rear door realigned by Nissans and it solved the problem, so far
AnswerID: 173547

Sponsored Links