kayak-which way up?

Submitted: Friday, May 12, 2006 at 22:36
ThreadID: 33847 Views:2144 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
howdy all!
im heading down south for a few days and taking a kayak along. my question is- what is the most fuel efficient way to carry a kayak on the roof.. upside down or right way up?

i see a few of both, and i normally carry mine upside down, but seeing as they are designed to cut thru the water right way up, maybe that goes for cutting thru air as well?

any ideas may save me a bit of fuel( and a little less strain on the poor old van!)

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 12, 2006 at 23:05

Friday, May 12, 2006 at 23:05
I think you will find that right way up will create uplift & vice versa.
AnswerID: 172405

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 01:56

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 01:56
Just Jokin here but if he loaded it crossways ......could give me a job...lol
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 428037

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 04:46

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 04:46
Not a whole lot of difference as far as aerodynamics are concerned.

We transport all of ours upside down. This way, there is no hull deformation, and if it rains, and the kayak is a sit-inside, it wont collect water.

Please make sure of one thing.

As well as tying onto the racks, which is a no-brainer, please also tie the front, and the rear, down onto the vehicle proper, so if a rack lets go, the kayak stays with the vehicle. Don't over tighten the fore & aft lines, you WILL bend the craft, just firm will be enough.

Enjoy.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 172429

Reply By: Rosco - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 08:57

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 08:57
Hi,
I have two 4.5m plastics and have carried them from Perth to Shark Bay and return on a purpose built trailer, right side up, with little effect on the hull. A little bit of bowing across the hull supports when left in the sun but this soon levels out. Maker recommends carrying them upside down. More strength on the deck. Much easier to load onto a roof rack right side up.
Rosco
AnswerID: 172444

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:48

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 14:48
The physics of airflow would suggest that with the kyak upside down and the slightly curved surface facing up a low pressure would be created a the air speeds up and over the curved surface - this is the force known as 'lift' in the lift, drag, weight, thrust forces used to understandthe theory of flight. Would you create enough lift to take off....not bloody likely but then again if you had a really big kyak with just the right angle of attack......hey who knows :-))
AnswerID: 172517

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:20

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 16:20
If they're sit inside types (eg: Penguin etc) go right side up and get cockpit covers. keeps rain out and helps aerodynamics.
AnswerID: 172529

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:12

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 22:12
Either way up, they present the same profile to the air.... so shouldn't make any difference. Pointy bit a the front!.... The only difference I can see is the space between the yak and the top of the vehicle. If there is turbulence between the the roof and the kayak, then this can add to drag. If you can minimize the flow of air between the roof and the kayak... better aero dynamics.

Cheers
AnswerID: 172580

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 17:28

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 17:28
Royce, all the more reason to go right side up in my view. There is less kayak near the roof ie; less turbulence/drag. Also, I'd expect there to be more for the wind to get hold of if you went upside down, causing a lifting effect on the yak.

As well as the Rhino cradles, I have a "stacker" that enables me to get three of the buggers up there, on their side. Those cockpit covers are good, too. For $45/50 @ they make for better aerodynamics, keep the rain out, and enable you to stuff more stuff in there. Who needs roof boxes?
FollowupID: 428278

Reply By: tim the enchanter - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 23:16

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 23:16
thanks for all the advice, its good to get a different view on the matter.. think ill stick to upside down on the racks. headind down albany way and denmark with a stroll up bluff knoll on the way.. at least when my legs are buggered from bluff knoll ill have enough left in my arms to do some exploring by water!

once again thanks for the input.
AnswerID: 172588

Sponsored Links