tom groggin station access

Submitted: Friday, May 12, 2006 at 23:07
ThreadID: 33850 Views:2589 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello hopeing to take 4 day weekend next weekend 19/5-23/5 hopeing to go in through tom groggin and work through to wonnongatta ,anyone know if the tracks are still open,when we were there over easter there were three different dates on different signs that we saw for closures.Met the ranger at tom groggin asked him but wasnt much help.Have spent time on NPWS web site tonight but cant find any info,will ring npws but thought someone would know and assist.Thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 01:20

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 01:20
Brian,

Site Link

This is the site that you want.

Wayne
AnswerID: 172421

Reply By: brian - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 09:45

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 09:45
Hello Wayne thanks for the reply,the site specifically states alpine national ppark and davies plain track is closed fro 1/5 to 30/11 however i rang vic parks office and snowy mtns visitor centre and BOTH advised tracks will be open next week,so i guess we go.BTW have you travelled around khancoban area any advice as i havent been there yet but was thinking if davies plain is blocked we might go to kancoban etc.
AnswerID: 172452

Follow Up By: brian - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:06

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:06
wayne have you been around geehi any good camping there??
FollowupID: 428065

Reply By: brian - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:05

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 10:05
Hello Wayne just had nat parks ring me back to clarify their advice they now confirm only the 22klm section of davies plain track from dogmans hut to charlies plain is blocked,this means dogmans,charlies plain and buckwong is open until june.
AnswerID: 172455

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:12

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 13:12
Brian,

I have only been in this area over summer when all the tracks are open.

Buckwong Hut is a good camp site. Not listed as a camp site but has a large area with the creek going through it.

If a track is closed there should have a gate across it. If you have a good map you should be able to find your way around.

The Vic Parks office at Omeo is the one that controls the area that you will be going through so they will be the best one to call to get the latest info.

Have a good trip.

Wayne
FollowupID: 428107

Reply By: Warrie - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 11:52

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 11:52
Brian, here's a few thoughts. In Jan we were camped at The Geehi River crossing and swimming as it was 35 degrees. Three 4WD loads of families pulled in, checked it out and left. They were back an hour later having driven (on the tar) to T. Groggin campsites and realised that Geehi is better. You should have the place to yourself next w/e and should get to play in the snow if you drive up to Dead Horse Gap.
2. Earlier in the day we came into Khancoban from Kiandra and they don't have LPG so we left the van under a tree and drove nearly 30km to Corryong. Called into the visitors centre and met a most knowledgeable lady. Every question I asked about local 4WD tracks she had an answer. So rather than drive back on the tar she gave us the good oil and sold us the map so we took the crosscountry option and headed back to Khancoban via some fun tracks, a great lookout for lunch and rejoined civilisation about 50m from the Khancoban Dam spillway. Fantastic!!!!! Awesome views of the main range, trees over the track twice, friendly locals and van safe and sound. Go for it, Cheers - Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 172481

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 15:33

Saturday, May 13, 2006 at 15:33
Agree with the above. Wife and I were very impressed with the Geehi Camping Area. VEry pretty,
enough facilities without being overdone, we liked the camping "bays" that allowed some privacy.

We have camped in spots where although anything up to 100 mtrs. away from others you were still on "display" for others to monitor. I bloody hate that when you pull in to set up camp and become the afternoon entertainment for earlier arrivals. You can almost hear the running commentary as you begin the process, whilst every piece ofyour gear is examined and comparisins made.

Having said that, I would have no hsitation in camping again at Tom Groggin but Geehi is definately prettier, better facilities and nicer atmsphere.

Ian W
FollowupID: 428143

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 11:56

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 11:56
The track you mention that comes out at Khancoban spillway is called, or becomes, the Tiger Trail. We took it from the Khancoban side in March, just relying on our maps. Signage is non-existent and I think each of the tracks off it that come out the other side of the range (near the Indi bridge) cross farms. You would need very detailed instructions to find the tracks from the Corryong side. Enjoyable trip though.
FollowupID: 428252

Sponsored Links