Off Road Hard Floor Camper Trailer

Submitted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:29
ThreadID: 33891 Views:4237 Replies:15 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I’m in the market for a hard floor off-road camper trailer. Reading the info from the manufacturers web sites, Pioneer and Kimberley Kamper read well, but I have not excluded the others. I have a leaning towards Pioneer as they not as heavy as the KK.

Going to the Victorian Caravan and Camping Show this week. I would appreciate any personal experiences (particularly with Pioneer) before I make the final decision.

In case anyone suggests, this Post is also being placed on the campertrailers.org site.

Regards
nrb1748
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: outback epicurean - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:42

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:42
Have a look at the Ausie Swag while at the show. Similar to KK but cheaper and more features, smaller company and direct sales. Positives are easier to erect annex, annex standard either side, fly roof, excellent kitchen setup. had one for severl years now and very happy

have fun
AnswerID: 172671

Follow Up By: Member - nrb1748 (VIC) - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:47

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:47
Thank you outback epicurean,

That's the type of feedback I am looking for. Much appreciated.

Regards

nrb1748
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 428326

Reply By: Boxhead - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:52

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 21:52
allso have current model aussie swag - nothing short of excellent -very happy -handled everything we have dished up to it with ease.

reards Boxhead
AnswerID: 172674

Reply By: Chris & Jody (WA) - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 23:35

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 23:35
We looked a lot at the Camprite trailer, because that suited us having two boys as well as me and the missus, so with a big double and two single beds off the ground appealed to us but the price tag and waiting time was too much. We then did spur of the moment thing and got a second hand Jayco Eagle Outback offroad model and could not be happier. Little bit on the heavy side, but the Nissan has no problem with that. Has everything we require and the missus can put it up in about 15 minutes by herself, so leaves more time for me to open the beers. Hope you find what you are looking for as we have!!
AnswerID: 172685

Reply By: Member - Kiwi B - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 23:57

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 23:57
Have owned a Pioneer Onyx for almost a year now and quite satisfied so far.
Spent about 12 weeks camping offroad last year and heading away for about 4 months tomorrow.
Plenty of battery, plenty (190 ltrs) of water so no need to go near town much. Very easy to erect, but not sure about awning as haven't used it yet. Was very fortunate with the weather.
Appears to be a pretty well engineered unit although it is real easy to load-up the drawbar.
Towed with a 2.8 GU, and loaded can still exceed the speed limit quite comfortably.

All the best with your decision making,
AnswerID: 172690

Reply By: Redeye - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 06:38

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 06:38
Have had an Aussie Swag for five years now. No complaints, Easy to set up, great kitchen etc.

Redeye
AnswerID: 172703

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 08:37

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 08:37
We've had a Campomatic Ranger for 2 years now and are still very happy. Solid, reliable and functional, but a few aspects of the "finish" are ordinary. Canvas work is well designed and very good overall. Now marketed out of Adelaide (mine was Qld) we thought the Campo had the edge for us at the time over the AS. Recent reports suggest the offroad Campo now comes only as the boatloader model, making the price somewhat high with no intermediate model option. Jeff Eastwell should be fronting Campo, at your show. Our original plan was a Classic model KK with gullwing storage but too heavy on the hitch for our vehicle. The Aussie Swag seems a top quality product in all respects - Noel and Julia (company owners) go to all the shows and are great people to talk campers with. They sell direct and freight free to your door. We were iffy about their articulated kitchen module being up against the camper - preferred the "pull straight out" idea used by Campo and others. These are the only three I've had a good look at - there are quite a few other top shelf hard floor campers now, but they don't all attend shows !
AnswerID: 172719

Reply By: RustyHelen - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 08:42

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 08:42
We are happy Aussie Swag owners also. 12 months owned now and our third camper. One big trip last year (12,000ks) over bitumen, sand, dirt stones, bush camp and park and no complaints. Lots of 2>4 day trips around Vic. This year (soon..) 20,000ks, Tanami, CSR, Pilbara etc etc.
And another great thing about AS is that you get to talk to the owners who build them, sell them, support them and are just great to deal with.
Rusty
AnswerID: 172720

Reply By: Arkay - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:36

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:36
Rather than repeating it all here, check out (search for) post 31665 and see various options suggested there including the super economical Bushranger off road flip over hard top camper trailer made in Victoria.
AnswerID: 172735

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:51

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:51
Have owned a KK for the last year( 14 trips ), and very happy with it. Weight is approx 950kg fully loaded, drawbar weight is 105kg.

If you are going to look at them all at a 4x4 show you can see for yourself the attention to detail and use of stainless that sets these campers apart.

It all comes back to your budget, happy hunting
AnswerID: 172741

Reply By: mattie - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 11:27

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 11:27
Hi we also have a kk and happy with it just don't get to use it enough,we tossed up between aussie swag and kk at the time though they both had a few benefits over each other. I liked the gull wing box for the ease of getting things out and packing them back in this was a big plus even more so if u r a small person, the other was that the kk also have different track widths to match up to the common vehicles which to me is hugely important for sand and muddy tracks. The AS had a smaller annex for overnite stays that i liked also had an inverter and they were a bit cheaper, but only had a double size bed(in width) i didn't think the equal models were much different in weight? the AS has a double roof which makes a huge difference in summer whereas the kk we had to option it up. The campomatic also stacked up my uncle and aunty have one and are happy with it and it tracks the same as their discovery which suits them but in my travels in and around the more remote places and rough roads the AS andKK were the two most common hard floor campers and noone was having probs with them. So now u have to go through the issues as every one else who owns one and worries if they are buying the right one!!!!!

Cheers Mattie

AnswerID: 172762

Reply By: Grif - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 15:42

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 15:42
I am in Qld and own a Modcon hard floor. Bit larger than the Aussie Swag and lighter on drawbar than most. Drawbar weight is seriously 60-70kg and it tows really well. Really well thought out and extremely well priced.

The internal room is better than most and it is easy to set-up. Also a word of advice, I've tried lifting the front of some of the ones mentioned here, and their ball weight certainly not what the brochure claims.

I think Modcon have a Melbourne agent. Not sure of Head Office number but they trade as the Camper Factory in Capalaba.

Worth a look when spending this sort of money.

Cheers

Grif
AnswerID: 172794

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 21:35

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 21:35
Member - nrb1748 (VIC) asked for information on Off Road Hard Floor Camper Trailer
HI
why
snailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 172860

Reply By: Marc - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 21:39

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 21:39
we have a KK and looked at buying the poineer.
Remember that labor is the same price to build them all, so the few$$$$ difference is in the materials.
The poineer only has alloy ribs on a thin checker plate floor on ply, the KK a gal frame to sit on with load bearing design to equal the weight and thick plate.
Remember to thing about the resale valve. (this site has KK for above purchase price)
We have had two and update each 4 years and have made money on resale due to the name.
Have fun at the show
AnswerID: 172861

Reply By: Member - big bo (NSW) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 21:52

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 21:52
Have a KK, happy with the best, forget the rest.
AnswerID: 172865

Reply By: Travellers - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 22:33

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 22:33
Can't go past a T Van in our humble opinion.........
AnswerID: 172869

Follow Up By: mkthomp - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:25

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 18:25
hi
we too love our Tvan and it has been over the simpson up big red and now heading to the kimberlys
FollowupID: 428675

Sponsored Links