Any Computer Guru's online???

Submitted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 23:03
ThreadID: 33897 Views:1913 Replies:14 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone
I am not on any other forum board so if anyone of you forumites is a genius on windows media player, am trying to figure out how to get a disk to hold more music than it would normally when you burn it could you email me?
jarsofclay@optusnet.com.au
Cheers everyone
Jo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 23:49

Sunday, May 14, 2006 at 23:49
If the CD rom says it is a 700 mb capacity you will not get 710 mb on it, It's a bit like a bottle designed to hold 2 lts , you won't 2.4 lts in it , It really has nothing to do with WMA Player , Real Player, Winamp or MMJB , it is the CD , Now if you are using it to store phot's or other data then a dvd cd would be the way to go as they will hold up to 4.7GB but will not play music in the Car radio and you also have to use a DVD Writer CD rom to burn data to it.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 172689

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:53

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:53
does'nt some players recognise dvd with mp3 format?
FollowupID: 428378

Reply By: Jo and Mark - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:03

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:03
nah see I have music on the comp, so I can burn a cd and it will fit all the 9-14 tracks whatever is on the album, but I can't fit say two albums from one artists on one disk, it won't fit that many songs.
I remember someone once telling me about burning in an mp3 format and you can get around 100 or something on one disk. I don't want that, but thought if there was a way, or a speed setting or something where you could fit more on. The disks are 700MB, I might try to put one album on there and that one album may only be say 59MB, and if I am lucky I may only be able to add three or four more songs on which may take it to around 90MB and that is the most it will let me burn onto the disk, even though I get a message saying 80minutes left free on disc.
I just don't like constantly changing disks (yes i should have bought a 6 stacker for in the Pajero)..

When driving in Pajero, music is extremely important!
AnswerID: 172691

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:24

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:24
Jo and Mark
Your lagging behind the times now mate, I would forget all about Audio CDs and 6 stackers , let the windows Media Player convert your Audio Songs into WMA or MP3 files, thats done in the settings , If your connected to the net when you do it then most CDs will be automaticly named from the CDDB [CD Data Base] in USA so you don't have to type it in, so having done that make sure the songs are ripped at 128 kbps which is better than CD quality, then you will get about 200 to 250 songs on a 700 MB CD , now your car radio must be able to play CDRs-CDRWs MP3s and WMAs and then you can leave your good CDs at home where they will not be ruined by wear and tear , Now in the near future CDs are will dissapear , I have a car radio that has a USB port and an SD card slot on one side of it and i have 330 songs on a little 1 GB SD card about the size 20c piece , the sterio quality superb, has no turning part so cannot jump even on the roughest corrugation, Radio brand is US Audio but soon Alpine , Kenwood and other brands are all going to have this facillity, I hope I have not confused you even more , I'm 63 next month but like to keep up to date on tech' stuff , I thrive on it ...lol
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 428342

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:34

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 00:34
******** let the windows Media Player convert your Audio Songs into WMA or MP3 files, thats done in the settings , If your connected to the net when you do it then most CDs will be automaticly named from the CDDB [CD Data Base] in USA so you don't have to type it in, so having done that make sure the songs are ripped at 128 kbps which is better than CD quality, then you will get about 200 to 250 songs on a 700 MB CD ********

that is what I want to do, you got it... but it won't let me even fit 20 songs let alone 200. I just went through my settings and fiddled and even when I changed some settings around (that looked like.. oh this might be the setting I need) it still didn't make any difference.

I don't like to play the originals, call me thrifty but if it is damaged much well then I am up for another thirty bucks, hence I stick them on the computer, do a copy and keep the copies in the car and the originals in the house so I don't always have to go looking for music when I want to play it.

Ahhhhh computers s u c k sometimes!!!!!!!!
Jo
FollowupID: 428343

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 01:27

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 01:27
up top of windows player see the tab called RIP click that, insert the Audio CD , ..wait if it is a well known Artist look to the right ...see find album info...clik it ..wait now if it does not find the info then another player sometimes does ...like Winamp or Real Player , so if WMA does not then it will show as Track 01 and so on WMA is so complex in what it does is fantastic , just play with it , OK once the track names appear click on RIP MUSIC on right side, but before you do that go to Hard drive, make new folder , name it ..ie My songs , close HD go back to wma click on TOOLS / OPTIONS/RIP MUSIC, set slider to 128kbps, select MP3s or window mwdia files at the format drop down ,at the "rip music to this location" section clik CHANGE and direct it to the folder called my songs on the C drive . Then when all is ready click the RIP MUSIC and your away , it will put the songs into folders within folders and then burn those files to your 700mb CD
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 428345

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 12:48

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 12:48
Thanks Doug, yep do all that. Have no dramas at all with ripping, just drives me nuts that I can't get it to burn more onto disk than I want it to, and what it should be able to do. Am using windows media player 10, it is currently up to date.
FollowupID: 428418

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 07:59

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 07:59
Jo,

what software are you using to burn the files to the CD?

It sounds like what ever you are using is converting the files back to CD Audio tracks rather than just burning them as files - hence you are not getting many songs on the CD at all.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 172712

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 12:50

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 12:50
that all sounds about right Sam, using windows media player 10.
So that is my big question, to get more onto a disk how do I set it to burn as files not audio? Just can't wrap my head around it.
FollowupID: 428419

Reply By: Ray Bates - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 08:58

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 08:58
Hi I use a program named Musicmatch in conjuction with Lime wire. I am able to download certain songs from Limewire which are then sent to Musicmatch. Musicmatch has a burning program and I can choose whether to do CDs or MP3s.
Some of my MP3s have well over 200 tracks on them. Both Musicmatch and Limewire can be downloaded from the net
AnswerID: 172724

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 14:51

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 14:51
Hey Ray.
I just had a quick look at music match. It looks alright. So could I download that, but still keep all my files on media player and then just basically do a copy and paste thing over to musicmatch when I want to burn something?
FollowupID: 428445

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:37

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:37
Buy a MP3 player that allows DVD's and then you can fit 1000+ on a disk...
AnswerID: 172736

Reply By: Rokkitt - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 14:30

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 14:30
Another idea for you although it may be way off track - use "Nero's" overburn feature, may be available somewhere in MPlayer 10 also.

Rodkkitt
AnswerID: 172779

Reply By: Jo and Mark - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 14:40

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 14:40
Hey rokkitt! I haven't ever seen the name Nero on anything on the comp/in media player anywhere.

So I did find an option to burn as DATA CD. and it allowed me to put a whole lot more onto the disk, It worked, the only down side was it didn't burn the tracks in the order I set out, it mixed them all up. why can't things just work they way you want them to!!!!!!

(Thanks for your input guys, I know it isn't '4WD' related (well no it is because it is all about the music for driving...) but I figured out of all of us here there had to be same brains amongst us!)
AnswerID: 172782

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 17:24

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 17:24
Jo,

when you "rip" the tracks from CD to mp3 or wma, you can change the naming convention Media player uses (you can select from Artist name, track number, track name, album name, genre, and bit rate). This option in on the Rip Music -> File Name button.

You can arrange these in any order (move them up and down - an example is given). The works provided media player can access an online CD database to grab the track, album and artist names (else you have to manually enter these). Then it will rip the files to a folder with the artists name and then a sub folder with the album name.

Most MP3 players will read the file/folder structre alphabetically anyway (numbers are classed as text and not numbers - so 10 comes before 2), so track order doesn't really enter the equation.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 172813

Reply By: tex1972 - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 18:14

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 18:14
Do yourself a favour and buy a dedicated burning program like Roxio Nero Furio etc rip all your music to mp3 (you can use mp10 ) than choose create an mp3 album from the burning options in any of these programs. Make sure if you use media player that you go into settings or options and uncheck the drm and other things in there because mp sends all of what you do to microsoft with a unique player identifier.Sadly we have no fair use legislation in Australia so all this is only theoritical because it would be very naughty to actually do it.
AnswerID: 172817

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 19:59

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 19:59
just had a quick play around and WMP coverted the mp3 back to cd music match is 1 good program or roxio personally i use an ipod and transmitter but would like to geta radio with inputs (no transmitter) ipod is 30gig and so far have nearly 2000 songs great for long distance
music match allowsa mp3 to mp3 no problems

steve
AnswerID: 172833

Reply By: Jo and Mark - Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 03:51

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 03:51
Thanks so much everybody, I won't play around now as it is 3.45am and just not long got in from work so my brain won't much function properly, but I have copy and pasted the whole thread so I can go over it all again.
Getting an mp3 player is definately on my list, I will get the i-pod one, that way I can buy the i-trip to go with it, then you just tune it into a station on your radio and all your music will play through your cars stereo system.. now that is pretty cool!!!!
I really appreciate all your advice and help everybody!
cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 172884

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 18:50

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 18:50
Hi ya
I'm home after a long trip and seems your still having troubles, well Old Scalyback & denny would be right in that WMP is re-doing the files back to an Audio from hence they came , Sooo you must look at geeting a Nero or some other good burning software and burn them on as DATA not AUDIO
Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 173689

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:25

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:25
Hey Doug!

We too jsut got in 20 minutes ago from the Queensland Imbil weekend gathering.
I got to fiddle around and I figured out on WMP how to change it to a data file, I did fit 3 abums on 1 disc. I didn't try for anymore just those 3 on that one I wanted). the oly drama I had with it, is it burned all the songs all mixed up, it didn't burn them in the order that I put them in. Any ideas?
jo

FollowupID: 429770

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:58

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:58
Name them as such

01 Pub with No Beer
02 Trumby
03 The Wayward Wind
04 Rock Around The Clock

If your going to have more than 100 use two zero's at the start and so on
I just purchased a great software pack today called Adio Jack2 from Harvy Norman and it can do all . for only $49 it can convert MP3s to WMAs or WMAs to MP3s or both to WAVs Wavs are to heavy ,take up to much space
Check the Link and click on Audio Jack2 link
www.manac.com.au/
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 173816

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:11

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:11
You are an ideas man Doug!!!

I will have a fiddle tomorrow!
So where did you travel off to for you getaway?
FollowupID: 429832

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:46

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:46
I was on a job from Mt Isa to Augathella then went solo to Brisbane to do a job Brisbane Port to Mt Isa , Could soon be relocating to Perth
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 173873

Follow Up By: Jo and Mark - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:11

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 23:11
WOW! ok how do we get a job like yours!
Like Trevor, it must be nice to have a job where you get to travel around and not stay in the one place all the time.
FollowupID: 429845

Sponsored Links