Firestone airbags and lifted suspension

Submitted: Monday, May 15, 2006 at 11:55
ThreadID: 33909 Views:1478 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted the Firestone airbags to an 80 series with a bit of a lift? I note that the instructions say to cut off a certain length of the internal bump stop. I was wondering whether one needs to cut off less bump stop rubber if the suspension has been raised and whether that then affects the conenctions at all.

I like the idea that should a Firestone airbag be destroyed for whatever reason with the Firestone the bump stop (or at least part of it) is still there, whereas with the Polyairs the bump stop is totally removed. Don't know whether this is actually an issue. Any comments appreciated.
Thanks in advance from the Moose.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 20:52

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 20:52
Just measure the distance and cut the bump stop off a little at a time.
I cut one wrung of my bump stop in my prado, fitted one air bag and had to cut another one off but only half way. Perfect fit.
Just remember with the fire stones you must cut the air line off perfectly straight other wise it may not seal properly in the bag.
Hope this helps
120scruiser
AnswerID: 172849

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:04

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:04
Thanks for that. Are you happy with the Firestones? Have you had them long? Why did you pick them over the Polyairs?
FollowupID: 428912

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:57

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:57
I have had the firestones since August last year. Done Simpson desert, Flinders, Fraser Island and 2 trips to Stockton Beach.
I had some initial trouble with leaks due to the spacers they provided but the bags were changed under warranty. I got rid of the spacers and utilised the bump stops to compensate for the lift.
I chose the firestone because their maximum pressure was higher than polyairs so in theory they are a little more tolerant to wear, weight etc and may be more durable as well I have heard some people have had dramas with the hose connection to the bags on the polyairs.
I am happy with them and will continue to have them future cars as you don't have a harsh ride when empty if you have heavy springs fitted like my last car.

Cheers
120scruiser
AnswerID: 173101

Sponsored Links