Vehicle Rear Vision

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:22
ThreadID: 33969 Views:2442 Replies:11 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Did anyone see A Current Affair last night.

They did a story on bad rear vision on cars, 4WD's and vans.

They had various vehicles and unbeknown to the drivers they had a whole bunch of kids hide behind the vehicle, then asked the driver how much they can see behind them. Not one driver could see the kids.

Basically, the story was to highlight the need for reversing cameras to be fitted to all vehicles, and for once, Mr Scoby wasnt on there sprouting on with his usual crap about 4WD's.

Robert McDonald from NRMA stated that the worst vehicle for rear vision was in fact a well known australian made passenger vehicle. He continued on to say that manufacturers are concentrating on asthetics and not practical design of vehicles when it comes to the safety of pedestrians.

I am the first to acknowledge that our 4WD's are not good for rear vision, but, they are not the worst, so there you go Mr Scoby, all your prattle on about 4WD's being the worst for rear vision has just been refuted, AGAIN.

Why doesnt he get on TV and pick on the passenger vehicle manufacturers and giveus a break.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:33

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:33
Yes Cruiser- you only need to watch the first two minutes or sometimes even
just the promo to know the rest of the story.

Still my patrol has relativily poor rear vision and during the week I run
it without rear headrests which helps a bit. A bigger rear view
mirror would help to but never found one as most of the aftermarket clip on
bigger units are not day/night.
Never pack car up high in rear or use cargo barrier either as they only
reduce rearward vision.

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 173086

Follow Up By: Ray Bates - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:46

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:46
Why pick on passenger vehicles? Commercial vehicles have a worst problems. They do not have any internal mirrors only side mirrors and would be capable of reversing over a car yet alone a child without knowing or seeing it.
FollowupID: 428904

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:01

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:01
Ray,

They did have a van like a Hi Ace as part of the report, however, Robert McDonald from NRMA stated that test had proven that passenger vehicles were the worst.

Its not a case of picking on passenger vehicles, it is a case of him stating the results of controlled testing.

I dont know enough about it to comment, just passing on what was on TV, and my idea of this post was to highlight what we 4WDers have all known for a long time, especially in light of the unfair critisism that we have been getting from Mr Scoby.

FollowupID: 428911

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:08

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:08
You're quite right Ray. I have done exactly that - reversed a truck over a car. Not the highest point of my driving career!! Luckily no-one was in the car at the time.
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 429076

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:46

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:46
Saw the show and got me thinking about getting one of those tv reverse cameras.

Anyone got one for an 80 series L/C and/or a jayco poptop van. Would be interested in personal experience and prices.

Pedro
AnswerID: 173089

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:55

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:55
Bro in law just bought one at the Supershow in Sydney. $695 for 2 cameras and an LCD screen.
FollowupID: 428909

Follow Up By: Robin - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:59

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:59
My Mate had a personnal experience with one of those reversing camera's.

In convoy on 4wd track and front vehicle had a problem.

He was last inline and after a while sitting in the car ,got out for a leak.

Looked around, all ok , but didn't realise the car in front had reversing camera on
and the family got a full view on the big 7in screen.

Robin Miller
FollowupID: 428910

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:52

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:52
:-))))))))))
FollowupID: 428921

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:28

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:28
Strewth, You've just made ME realise something too!!!!! I have a camera set-up on the roof rack of my Patrol and it's angled so that I can see right down to the towbar. It's on all the time (whenever I have the isolator for the 2nd battery turned on) and quite often I'll pull up on the side of the track/road, sneak around between the Patrol and camper trailer for a piddle!!! Now I realise that my whole family could have been watching me shake hands with the unemployed!!!! hahahaha

The camera is a huge benefit to the safety of my vehicle. I've placed the screen where the internal mirror used to be and it uses the same safety 'break-away' system that the mirror was mounted on (so it'll break off if anybody ever flys forward into it.....that'll mean their head will have an unobstructed passage towards the windscreen!!!!).

I haven't yet got the extra camera for the camper trailer, but the system has an extra plug socket to mount it.

We did a bulk purchase (3 of us on this forum), through a company called "PORON"....do a site search and you'll find out all the info from a year or so ago.
FollowupID: 428929

Follow Up By: Robin - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 11:27

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 11:27
Now Roachie , I always thought that the only good reason for a
having a camper trailer was cause of the private space between the back of the car and the camper - now you have gone and blown that!.

Robin Miller
FollowupID: 428939

Follow Up By: Peter - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:24

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:24
Have a reversing camera fitted to the back of the Patrol (with 2 grandkids and another 2 on the way, I can't afford the poor visibility). I have a Kaymar dual wheel carrier on the back so the vision is even more limited.
The camera is a 130 degree colour one mounted on the roof above the rear doors. It is angled down so that I can see the towbar and from that angle I can still see around 20 metres behind me. The monitor is clipped to the passenger sunvisor and folds up out of the way when not required. There is also a second camera fitted to the van and a switch on the dash so the system can be changed from only operating in reverse, to being on at all times.
Works very well. Was purchased direct from Poron at a total cost of $695 plus postage
FollowupID: 428947

Reply By: Member - John R (NSW) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:50

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 08:50
I knew straight away that it was an add for some sort of reversing camera system.

Sure, some vehicles have problems with rear visibility, but did anyone notice that the kids were deliberately placed in a blind spot, not moving AT ALL, and SQUATTING DOWN below the window line?

Hardly a realistic test. Infact, some of the most puke-able material since somebody suggested Bill Shorten for PM. (Puke).
AnswerID: 173091

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:05

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:05
Thanks Cruiser,
What brand and was there any particular reason he bought that brand.

I take it one fits on the van and the other on the vehicle.

Pedro
FollowupID: 428914

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:00

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:00
Very good point John.

Next they'll do a test on all types of vehicles where they place kids under the car and ALL the vehicles will fail the visibility test. But wait... for only $199 you can have this (insert brand name here) camera underneath the vehicle. Yippeee.. problem solved.

R
FollowupID: 428954

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:00

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:00
A great add for reverse parking if you ask me. The bride and I always reverse park the Nissan in carparks and driveways (it just suits us). This means we are always driving forward after the vehicle has been parked. Still like the idea of cameras and will get one of those soon if for no other reason but to be a little more accurate in hooking up the trailer.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 173093

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:54

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:54
I always reverse park too.

In the mining industry it is compulsory that all vehicles reverse park for that reason.
FollowupID: 428923

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:59

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:59
So how do you get on in towns where it is compulsary to park @ 45 degrees nose to kerb?
FollowupID: 428995

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 17:10

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 17:10
When it gets too difficult, just park on the footpath, across the disabled bays or on the cross walk. In my experience, there's always heaps of free space at these locations.
FollowupID: 429001

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:37

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:37
I only ever see these in country towns where they just don't seem to have these "city" problems. Geez, my sister lives on a farm and there are more death traps there than any reversing car problem. If the kids (she has 4 of them) survive the farm they won't be playing behind a parked car in town - chances are they have already tried this at home and got a kick in the @rse from the brother in law for not showing some common sense.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 429156

Reply By: sdr00y - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:19

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:19
I have a 1995 Troopie (6 seater with 2 forwards facing bench seats) and recently looked around at rear view camera systems due to cargo barrier and the headrests blocking view using a mirror.

I found that the systems were expensive, or the lcd screen was tiny.

Decided to do one myself. Got an 8" lcd screen for $81 delivered to my door, a day night camera for $85 delivered to my door. Bought some power wire, co-ax and fuse for under $20 I think. Put it all together and now I have a full time rear view camera for under 200 bucks.

It isn't rocket science, but for anyone with a few tools and idea about wiring and hooking up plugs etc it is an easy operation.

The only thing I had trouble with was my inexperience in camera selection. I chose to buy an infra red low light camera. Which is great, but because I chose to mount the camera on the inside of the car, the infra red lights reflect back from the rear windscreen and "blind" the camera in low light situations, such as night or inside a garage. To solve this, either mount the camera on the outside of the vehicle, cover up the infra red lights (my solution), or don't buy one with infra red lights. BUT do some homework or research on how much light is required for the camera to work.

Hope this helps.

cheers

sdr00y

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 173097

Follow Up By: troopy_wonderer - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:07
Hi,
I have a 96 troopy and I mounted a tiny camera (waterproofed) outside on the left hand top of the roof. I used a 6" CRT (very bright even for day light) above the driver seat back facing forward. I then use a rear view mirror mounted above the top right windscren. This way it will reverse the image and every thing is close to you for the 6" screen. (probably less than $100 total)
I tow a caravan a lot of times and I also mounted a wireless camera at the back of the caravan which transmit to the same CRT.
Not only can I see what's behind me, I can also hook up the caravan without all the stress, yelling etc.
The best thing is when I park the troopy, I can get to within 1/2 inch from the car behind (This normally give the driver behind a heart attack if he is sitting in the car)
I will be getting a high brightness LCD with image reversal capabality and mount it in the middle console soon.
Regards
FollowupID: 428925

Follow Up By: Robin - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:20

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:20
Can only second Sdr00y
You do need to do some research and actually check
out a unit , or get a reccomendation from someone who has
checked them out under the range of operating conditions.

I've had to specify a few of these things for public transport stuff
and some camera/Lcd systems offer poor performance at the extremes
of contrast range. They can be shut down by strong lights from
vehicle behind or just don't provide definition in low light
conditions, espically when combined with some computer type
LCD monitors that have poor performance when viewed of axis.

Very few Lcd offer the performance of the CRT Troppy uses and near none
when viewed at 45 degrees to screen.

Robin Miller
FollowupID: 428928

Follow Up By: troopy_wonderer - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:37

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:37
Hi Robin,
Some newere LCD TV has very high brightness and viewing angle, but has to check out if they are bright enough for mounting in car. (those as good as the GPS sytem should be OK)
Regards
FollowupID: 428930

Reply By: scoof - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:26

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:26
I have a reversing cam in the Paj but still at times find myself useing the mirrors, it's hard to get use to looking at the dash when driving in reverse.I have had to retrain my driving habit's.Great to see that the TV didn't sh#t can 4WD's.

Kind Regards
Scoof
AnswerID: 173105

Follow Up By: troopy_wonderer - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:38

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:38
Hi,
If the screen is mounted high, it will be no different fromm looking at eh rear view mirror
FollowupID: 428931

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:11

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:11
why concentrate on the car whats wrong with perants teaching kids not to stand or play behind a vehicle, its worked with my kids
AnswerID: 173132

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 15:54

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 15:54
I'm glad this is getting some publicity. The fact is that kids regularly get reversed on by vehicles - usually its a parent at the wheel, and in their own driveway. These incidents often don't reach the media, for the sake of the parents. Please don't say its the parents fault - that does nothing to fix the problem.

I've been using the Jaycar system for over a year - wouldn't be without a reversing camera. It also helps with the odd bit of 4wding - reversing back etc.
AnswerID: 173156

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:32

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:32
Ive just installed a reversing camera purchased of Ebay. Works pretty well.
It is a replacement rear view mirror with inbuilt LCD panel and 120 degree, waterproof, infra red camera. I mounted the camera inside the rear window.

My son crouching down against the bumper bar below the rear window.

What I can see in the monitor.

Also covers the blind spot when a vehicle comes up beside you and disappears from the side mirror
AnswerID: 173164

Reply By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 17:24

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 17:24
yes have one fitted to my 6wheeler patrol it is great (replied to questions afew weeks ago) it has two stations 1 on rear of car & on rear of trailer it si left on all the time Now i wonder how i drove for the last 30years with out it 7 the company was great to deal with
AnswerID: 173171

Follow Up By: kookaburra - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:54

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:54
hi all, most vehicles wrecked or smashed are frount damaged with full view to the driver, some drivers may need a periscope, cu.
FollowupID: 429071

Reply By: cuffs - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:51

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:51
I have raised a family, with dogs & nieghbours had kids and dogs the street was use as a play ground on weekends, when are parents going to take responsibility whats theirs. Life is full of accidents & nobody deliberately reverse over ppl (may be in laws)
AnswerID: 173311

Sponsored Links