Taking a dog to the Cape?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:26
ThreadID: 33974 Views:3006 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, simple question (I think), can you take a dog up to Cape York? Our dog loves camping and we want her to come up to the Cape next year but I can't find any info on whether dogs are permitted in none/some/all areas of the Cape. How much is actually NP? And I noticed the other day that Malcolm Douglas seems to take his best mate all through the kimerleys etc? Any inof would be appreciated!

Cheers
Scoey!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:54

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:54
G'day Scoey,

I don't think you can take them to the NP's (I know there is some debate about just passing through) and some traditional lands may have rules as well. I guess it depends on where you want to go and if you are prepared to take the risk. I have seen guys pig hunting with dogs in Lakefield, don't know if they were official or otherwise, I guess the later as they were not keen to be seen.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 173111

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 11:04

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 11:04
G'Day Beatit,

Well we're used to not camping in NP's although we've never thought twice about driving through NP's with her in the car and have never been caught - not sure what sort of trouble we'd be in if we did get caught but. The point about the traditional lands is a good one that i hadn't thought of though - I will have to try and locate where these areas are. If anyone can suggest any good maps for this i'd appreciate it. Are they indicated on HEMA Maps? Cheers again for the info Beatit!

Cheers, Scoey!
FollowupID: 428936

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:13

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:13
I believe so Scoey, don't have one in front of me but I thought they are shown in a buff colour on HEMA maps and if memory serves me they have contact details listed on the map as well.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 428944

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:27

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:27
Sounds great! I was gonna go grab some maps this week so that wil be good if they're on there! Thanks again for the info Beatit!

Scoey!
FollowupID: 428948

Reply By: blown4by - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 11:31

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 11:31
Not sure about the rules in QLD but in WA you can't even pass through a NP with a dog in the vehicle (four legged that is) even if you are not deviating off the road and not stopping. I suppose thats because people say they won't stop to gawk at something then they do when they get in there and let to dog out when they are out of sight of the Ranger and stuff it up for all the honest ones:-) Make sure you take a supply of metho and check your dog daily for ticks. If you get any on the dog which you most certainly will, put some metho on a tissue or cooton wool and hold it on the tick for about two minutes and then gently repeat gently pull the tick and turn it 180 degrees until it lets go of the dog. Don't pull too hard otherwise you will leave the head and jaws in the dog. If you look at the tick with a magnifying glass you will know if you got it all out. The metho makes the tick want to let go after it has had a good whiff of it. Don't grab the tick with tweezers other wise you will force more poison from the tick into the dog before you get it off. Bit like when you get a bee sting. Good luck.
AnswerID: 173118

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:10

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:10
Yeah I'm sure it's probably the same rules here in QLD too and so far we've been lucky - I guess it will only take a Ranger having a bad day to change the way I do things but! Hey thanks for the info on the ticks! Luckily we've never had one on our dog camping but we always spray here with the gear they use to keep the bot flies off horses (apparently good for ticks on dogs), treat her (orally) with a tick treatment 2 weeks before we go and she also wears a tick collar. Plus the daily checks as well! I guess were being a tad paranoid but if the alternative is losing her to a bloody tick then I'll err on the paranoid side! Cheers for the info blown4by!

Cheers, Scoey!
FollowupID: 428943

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 17:01

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 17:01
So what do you do, stop at the entrance to the NP & shoot it?
Damn, forgot can't take guns in either ...... hmmm, now there's a real problem!
FollowupID: 428996

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:56

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 13:56
The ticks and rangers aren't your only concern up there.. be carefull when camping near the rivers etc as the 'snapping handbags/swamp gods" tend to like nibbling on mans best friend
AnswerID: 173142

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 14:11

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 14:11
haha! Don't reckon I can get a dog collar that will repel those biting b*strads eh! Yes I have heard that - I'll keep that in mind! Cheers Coyote!

Scoey!
FollowupID: 428965

Follow Up By: kesh - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 14:23

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 14:23
Scoey, it depends on where you are now (like, area) taking your dog into the tropics is a real concern if he/she is not on heartworm control.
That is a real killer, no immediate symptons shown, but by then it is often too late.
kesh
FollowupID: 428968

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 15:57

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 15:57
Ahhh ok, well I live just north of Brisbane. She gets heartwormed regularly but I might have a chat to the vet about that next time she goes in! Cheers!

Scoey!
FollowupID: 428984

Reply By: ellen m - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:59

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:59
Hi scoey

If you take your dog and go into any of the communities leave rover in the car. Some of the dogs in the communities have all sorts of yucky stuff you wouldnt want your pet exposed to. If you are going across to Thursday Island from the tip dont take him there either, cause after a dog has been in the Torres Straits it has to go into quarantine before it can come back to the main land. I'm not sure it the quaranitine area covers NPA/Bamaga as well. The Queenslnad dept of Primary Industries might be able to tell you more.

have a good trip

Ellen
AnswerID: 173331

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:01

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:01
Why not give AQIS in Cairns a call? they would have sniffer dogs that live up there of course and they would also be well aware of the diseases etc.. Alternativley call the Security Police Section at RAAF Base Townsville and ask for the dog handlers. They will be able to tell you what they do before the dogs get taken to Weipa. The RAAF police dogs are worth a lot of money and hence we spend a lot of money ensuring they are vacinated for just about everything.. in fact it has been common to be on exercise and find that the Docs have Canine antivenine for snake bite but none for us meer humans...
FollowupID: 429249

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:09

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:09
G'day Coyote,

They probably lost the human snake antivenine! And the report about why they lost it. Sorry mate I couldn't help myself.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 429252

Sponsored Links