Quickest Root....

Submitted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 15:40
ThreadID: 33986 Views:2575 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I mean Route!! that got ya's!!!hahahaha.....

Wanting to know the quickest way to get to Chambers Pillar from Ayres Rock???

Is going back to Stuart Hwy (Via Ernest Giles Rd) then across the Ross River Stock Route (about 70 odd km's) passable??? Or should we be heading back to Alice and going down that way....we are going to be doing Oodnadatta Track so we are heading South.......

The map i have of this area is on the middle of the pages together so i can hardly see anything!!

Hey Vivian C Ive got our escape route from the coast worked out (Mudgeeraba - Cameron Corner!!)

Laura
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:24

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:24
Quickest root???? ring Rex Hunt..
OK..Chambers Pillat to Maryvale...N to Hugh River Rd.....W on Hugh River Rd...
hang a left onto Stuart Hwy S to Eridunda..then W to Ayers Rock.
AnswerID: 173161

Follow Up By: signman - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:59

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:59
Ooooops sorry..I'm sending you the wrong way, so just reverse the directions
FollowupID: 428994

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 18:47

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 18:47
Yeah Laura reverse the directions or you could end up rooted taking that route...My son drives around there a lot and he tells me that the roads though not good are passable even in a 2 wheel drive. There is some signposting as well even though the tracks sometimes split up they all go the same way if you get my drift. Use a compass to give you a general heading, Decent maps available free at Alice....
FollowupID: 429023

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:18

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:18
We will have a GPS so we should be right....

so its a pretty dodgy track by the sound of it.....will try the maps at alice when we get there....and a little local mud map wouldnt go astray too!!

Thanks....

Laura
FollowupID: 429028

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:30

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 16:30
Have checked out the "great desert tracks maps" and the only way I can see is to go back to Stuart Highway via Lasseter highway ( no idea where Ernest Giles Rd is) then turn North until you hit Hugh River Stock Route, then turn South to Titjakala and then trun west again to get to Chambers Pillar...

Geeez its a long way 'round. I can see why you are looking for a shorter route.. I hope there is something pretty spectacuilar there to go that far out of the way especially if you are heading South from Uluru

One other option would be to chat to one of the locals at Erldunda and ask. If thereis a short way they are sure toknow.. the main question will be are they willing to share it.. Good luck
AnswerID: 173163

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 18:44

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 18:44
Hey Laura

Glad to see you've got the escape route (root) from Mudgereeba to Cameron's Corner sorted!!

Hope you get the info you need on Ayers Rock to Chambers Pillar. I don't think the Ernest Giles road is very good..most people seem to say it's a bone shaker!! There is a good trek note about Chambers Pillar/Rainbow Valley in exploroz.

Viv
AnswerID: 173184

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:16

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:16
Yeah Ive read it a few times its a good read....i even had a non-member email and say that they are doing exactly what we are doing from Cameron corner so we are going to meet up with them....couldnt believe it hey!! It has all worked out really well this week!!

So far it looks like the way that i cannt see on the map is the only way to go....not Ross River - but Hugh River Stock route.....see - i cannt even read it properly....page folds- i dunno!!LOL!!

Laura
FollowupID: 429027

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 20:05

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 20:05
Oh dear....about 2 minutes

That aside:

Take bitumen road from Ayres Rock to Erldunda.
Turn left at Stuart Hwy
Drive along bitumen approx 105km and turn right on to Hugh River Stock Route. This is a made road and normally in good condition.
At end of Hugh River Stock Route turn right and go to Maryvale Station.
Proceed from there to Chambers Pillar.

Ernest Giles Road is unmaintained and in very poor condition

Enjoy
AnswerID: 173198

Reply By: Toytruck - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 20:43

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 20:43
LauraB,
heading South from the Alice you don't need to go all the way back to Erldunda. When you go past the Camel farm there is a creek sign "Orange Creek" on the left, turn in here. Ther used to be a gate but is not locked, and proceed across the railway line, that would be the big one linking South to North, and turn left. On this you will cross the Hugh River bed and once across hang a right this will take you to Marryvale community, (A dry community), and on to Chambers Pillar.

This, I beleive is the "Quickest Root". I have seen a falcon ute take this track but this was done by a guy who grew up at Wilpena pound and was VERY experienced. Must admit he got stuck once. We used to go this way whilst I was running the Emergency Services at ULURU and we used to run the Rohdingah "halfway" checkpoint for the Finke Desert Race.
AnswerID: 173214

Reply By: Toytruck - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 20:44

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 20:44
LauraB,
heading South from the Alice you don't need to go all the way back to Erldunda. When you go past the Camel farm there is a creek sign "Orange Creek" on the left, turn in here. Ther used to be a gate but is not locked, and proceed across the railway line, that would be the big one linking South to North, and turn left. On this you will cross the Hugh River bed and once across hang a right this will take you to Marryvale community, (A dry community), and on to Chambers Pillar.

This, I beleive is the "Quickest Root". I have seen a falcon ute take this track but this was done by a guy who grew up at Wilpena pound and was VERY experienced. Must admit he got stuck once. We used to go this way whilst I was running the Emergency Services at ULURU and we used to run the Rohdinga "halfway" checkpoint for the Finke Desert Race.
AnswerID: 173215

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:06

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:06
Sorry but I came before I got there so I'm not much help.
AnswerID: 173219

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:30

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 21:30
Bad boy Bubba!
FollowupID: 429064

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:40

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 22:40
Yes Ruthie, but at least i was quick and that is what Laura was after.:)))))
FollowupID: 429095

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 21:25

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 21:25
There was a young man from Kent
Whose root was heavenly sent
To keep out of trouble
He bent it up double
And instead of coming he went.
AnswerID: 173431

Sponsored Links