help hp pda 6515

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 04:46
ThreadID: 34001 Views:1438 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, was wondering is there any one that can help me get this ipaq pda working i let the battery go flat and lost a lot of stuff i rang hp 13 no and got the india hp centre ,we could not understand much either way i have tom tom maps on a sd card but cannot get the icon up on the screen start up or get the maps up. either . any help would be appreciated. shredder1. ps thats the blue healers name .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 07:00

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 07:00
I have Tom Tom on an SD card using a Dell Axim. I just stuck the card in the slot and it self installed. You could try removing the original program and reinstalling.
AnswerID: 173280

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:08

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:08
Richard,

What a great photo! Where was it?

Matt.
FollowupID: 429167

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:34

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:34
Daniels Point Rd in the Watagans NSW.
FollowupID: 429174

Reply By: MickeyJ - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:05

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:05
Shredder

The program was probably installed in the volatile memory. You will need to re install. I usually install into the SD card, at least if i lose the memory the program will still run, though all the icons disappear. (you just have to navigate to the application on the card). The other thing I do now (Having had the same problem a few times) is to do a backup from active sync. Then if the ipaq loses the memory, you can just restore, which is quick, and you do not have to reconfigure everything.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mickey
AnswerID: 173291

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:06

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 08:06
Hi,
Hopefully you have had iPaq backup configured to take automatic backups. If so open the iPaq backup program and select the restore tab. A .pbf backup file will hopefully be found and can be selected and you should be able to simply hit Restore and recover all the stuff you've lost.

If you have used Activesync to take backups from the iPaq to your PC then you can use the restore facility in Activesync to restore the lost data to you PDA.

Cheers Frank.
AnswerID: 173292

Follow Up By: signman - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:21

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:21
Hi Frank
So if you keep a 'complete' copy of the iPAQ configuration on a PC, you can do a full restore if required??
signman
FollowupID: 429172

Follow Up By: Frank_Troopy - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 10:46

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 10:46
Hi Signman,

That's correct. Though you can also do the same from a backup that is kept on a removable card in the iPaq itself.

If a program is installed onto a memory card then it is not necessary to restore those files, however the installation often requires entries to be made into the registry. When you install a program using Activesync you have an oppurtunity to say where it should install.

At a minimum, just make sure that there is a backup held on a removable card. Then you can always restore it easily using the iPaq Backup program; even when you don't have access to a backup on your PC.

By the way, when the battery goes flat it should not result in losing data from volatile memory. There is an internal battery that should keep the memory for quite a while. The internal battery takes over only when the machine is switched off, so if you ever remove the battery without first turning off the power button, you can lose the contents of the volatile memory. If you turn the PDA off, you can then remove the battery without loss.

Did you run the iPAQ Backup program? Did it find a backup file?

Cheers Frank.
FollowupID: 429191

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:14

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:14
Can't help with the restore beyond what has been said already but was wondering how you have found the 6515 as a device. I'm looking at its successor the 6965 (when it finally gets released - now delayed until mid June). Does the GPS work well, is the display readable in the car and is processing speed ok?

Thanks,

Adrian
AnswerID: 173352

Sponsored Links