Sunwagon 1980 model

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:10
ThreadID: 34005 Views:7300 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi , Im new to the site and am also looking to buy my first caravan , a collegue at work has a 1979 -80 sunwagon (8 berth) they are wanting to sell apparently it has been sitting outside for the past few years due to a marriage break up , he is asking $1000 for it and has told me it just needs to be cleaned up ,new tyres etc for registration ....... Im going to look at it on sunday - is there anything i should be looking out for ? Is it a good deal for the price ? Is it worth trying to clean up ?
Any advice would be much appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:50

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:50
Mate , at the end of the day , its a $1000 bucks , whats a $1000 really ??

Just make sure the chassis is solid . . . no rust , nothing is cracked.

Check for internal water leaks , check in the back of cupboards , and under the seats , around the edges of the roof.

For $1000 its certainly worth checking out.
AnswerID: 173310

Reply By: scoof - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:09

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:09
Make sure the Trye's are in good nic if you want to take it.
My father bought a second hand van, his first trip, one tyre blew out smashed the internal plastic mud guard and the tyre started belting the crap out off all the cooking gear in the cupboards.Made a hell of a mess and stuffed his first ever holiday with it.Couldn't get a new plastic mud guard so had to stall of the holiday till a aluminium guard could be made .
Sounds like a geat deal if it's looks ok.

Regards Scoof
AnswerID: 173324

Reply By: brian - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:06

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:06
I bought the same thing approx ten years ago also for $1000 towed it everywhere birdsville,fraser,vic had a great time with it ,reversed the axle for more clearance and it then sat level behind the disco,after about 5 years sold it for $1000....the old canvas was totally waterproof only problem was some woodrot in timber flooring.
AnswerID: 173344

Reply By: Member - John C (WA) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:22

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 14:22
Had one of these as my first caravan. Travelled from Karratha in NW WA to Adelaide a few times and Perth to Karratha many times. They tow well and are generally sound. Check the canvas and screens as well as the plastic window - it is a big job to strip it all out. Replace the tyres anyway as a matter of course.

Good luck!
AnswerID: 173353

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 15:29

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 15:29
If chassis is sound, it sounds good. If you are paying that little, you would expect to need new tyres and perhaps other maintenance. As it will need to be re-registered, check out first with your licensing authority what they will be looking before making a final decision.

Our previous van was something similar (ie a wind up van), smaller and very old for $4000 approx. Canvas had recently been replaced. Fridge didn't work so bought an Engel 12/240 for around $1000 and fitted it in. Then bought a deep cycle battery, portable solar panel and a power monitor. Our daughter and partner now use it with their little children and just love it. It does let the dust in, and is not 'secure' when wound up, as anyone with such a bad desire could easily cut the canvas. We never had a problem as we camp out and do not visit cities.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173362

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 16:40

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 16:40
cw,

Like others have said, if the chasis is ok and it looks fine then for one gorilla you can't go wrong.
If you do get it, think about changing the tyres as it has been sitting a while and repack the bearings for sure (or replace if they are pitted ect.).

Good luck.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 173372

Reply By: ZUKSCOOTERX90(QLD-MEMBER) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 18:42

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 18:42
Don't forget the gas inspection it is probably the no1 most important item.
AnswerID: 173390

Reply By: Member - Tony C (VIC) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 21:57

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 21:57
We had many fantastic trips in a 1980 model Sunwagon.Several of these trips included travel throughout the corner country towing with a Commodore.One wheel locked up when the magnets in the brake fell apart. Easily fixed by removing remnants of magnet and not having brakes for rest of trip.A caravan dealer said that model had a fault with the magnets for the braking system and a better type was available.Shock absorbers also failed which was just general wear never the less ,still worth checking.
Cheers .Tony
AnswerID: 173440

Sponsored Links